U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM

968 posts, read 2,471,537 times

Advertisements

The block is within the U of C Police patrol boundaries , and 2 Blocks south of the block you're looking at and stretching south to Madison Park gets a LOT of law enforcement attention, given who one of the prominent part-time residents of the area is . You're reasonably close to 47th and Lake Park, which is the stop for a few CTA buses and the Metra Stop . The 47th Street Green Line stop is easily accessible by bus, but some people prefer the 55th street stop because of perceived or actual 'less sketchiness' .
There is shopping , ATM, etc . close by on 47th , and you're not too far from the 53rd-55th Street commercial areas in HP .

That being said, there can still be some unpleasantness that spills into the community ( mostly north of 47th) , but with the right level of street smarts and awareness, it's not too bad . I have friends and several co-workers that live close by , and they like the housing price advantage and the easy accessibility to the loop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM

56 posts, read 82,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollapalooza773 View Post
Really? Never thought hyde park to be overcrowd I was planing on moving hyde and attend university there but I heard the transit there isn't good. Never been over there though. It needs better transit!!

The transportation is not horrible but it depends on where you're going. Going downtown is no problem. The #6 runs pretty ok and then there is the #28 not to mention alot of other random buses that only run in Hyde Park such as the number #1. If you're driving, forget about it. Parking is horrible in Hyde Park. This is not to say that I do not like it because I do. It's just not a place that I would live. However, because Hyde Park is a known as a good neighborhood with residents who are not poverty stricken, Hyde Park exhibits crimes such as robberies, and vehicle vandalism and break-ins. My brother's apt got broken into while he stepped away to the run 30-minute errand. Like I said, I like the area, but I would not live there.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM

6,187 posts, read 7,343,918 times
S. Greenwood isn't a bad address. Like what has been said, Hyde Park can get expensive the closer you get to the lake. I think the 3 corners of Lake Park and 53rd represents the happening part of Hyde Park.

Depending on what time you go to the Loop, #2 Hyde Park express will get you there very peaceful and fast. #2 goes straight down State Street. The #6 is convenient but you will have to walk to Lake Park that can be a pain in the winter.

Hyde Park is a great area. Great sense of community. Very open minded, progressive and diverse. I hope you enjoy the area.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM

29 posts, read 34,891 times
I live at 45th and Greenwood and I think it's fine. Are you talking about the Sutherland? It's a MAC property and I am exasperated with them. They are the property mgmt company that has got a majority of rentals in the area. Anyway, the #6 and #2 are great for going downtown along LSD, and the #47 of course will take you to the Red Line (I always take the 6 or the 2). You are also in walking distance of the Green Line from there, if you don't mind a walk.

My gripes about the area are numerous: there is no bus that will take you to 55th and Lake Park for shopping, nor one that will go from 47th along Woodlawn the whole way (the 172 is partial). There is a dearth of grocery shopping options; Treasure Island's prices are for royalty. Drivers don't respect pedestrians, stop signs are totally optional and the whole "let's take turns depending on when we got to the four-way" is not known/understood down here.

But it's beautiful, and yes, you are near lots of mansions and beautiful architecture. You can walk to the lake or be near Jackson and Washington Parks, close to lots of things except quality shopping and polite driving.

Beware of MAC though, for real.

And in case it's important, I am a middle-aged white woman (I have no idea if that is a point of reference for you or not, just thought I would mention it).

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM

72 posts, read 220,368 times
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm applying for a place down there very soon and hope its everything I'm looking for as long as I qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago