Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

I need advice on where to find an affordable house, townhome in the Chicago area. I moved here from Portland, OR about 6 months ago and am living in Lisle. I don't care to much for that area as it's too far from the city and my job. I have two small kids so schools are important, but I'm also a single mother on one income which makes home buying challenging. My salary is way above average so it's doable just limiting. I have tried Oak Park (way over my range), I've checked out Norridge but the homes I can afford are just not at all appealing. Can anyone point me in a direction to a nice neighborhood that is kid friendly with good schools but close enough to downtown so I don't have to spend 2 hours a day commuting? Any advice would be taking very seriously and will be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,561,473 times
affordable and good schools don't exist in Chicago using any reasonable definition of affordable and good.

manageable and decent, maybe

probably check the 'burbs forum

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,891,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayter28 View Post
I need advice on where to find an affordable house, townhome in the Chicago area. I moved here from Portland, OR about 6 months ago and am living in Lisle. I don't care to much for that area as it's too far from the city and my job. I have two small kids so schools are important, but I'm also a single mother on one income which makes home buying challenging. My salary is way above average so it's doable just limiting. I have tried Oak Park (way over my range), I've checked out Norridge but the homes I can afford are just not at all appealing. Can anyone point me in a direction to a nice neighborhood that is kid friendly with good schools but close enough to downtown so I don't have to spend 2 hours a day commuting? Any advice would be taking very seriously and will be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!!!
Price target would be helpful.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
What about Berwyn? Its right next to Oak Park and near the city. I would think the schools would be better than Chicago schools. Its got old but solid housing and much better prices.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Oakparkdude, my approved loan is only 220K (i know, i'm dreaming right?) I am not going to find a nice house for this

Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Toriat, I hadn't thought of Berwyn I will check it out. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,561,473 times
with that budget and a desire for a "house" (assuming sfh) and good schools, i'd looks pretty far out into the burbs. Berwyn is fine but the schools are ok at best, certainly not good by any stretch

Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,176,403 times
There are loads of good elementary schools in Chicago, especially on the Northwest side and around neighborhoods like North Center, Andersonville, etc. The problem is that with your budget you'll be hard pressed to find even a condo in those areas. The same is true of most suburbs with good school systems as well (as you found with Oak Park). That said, you could always rent in a good CPS attendance area instead of buying.

Have your kids started school yet? If not, you can also try magnet and selective enrollment CPS schools. If one of your kids gets into a magnet the other one will automatically be admitted as well. Many people we know (ourselves included) got our kids into good magnet schools along our commutes. If you want to be in the city your best bet may be to rent in a good attendance area, try the CPS lottery, and then look to buy if the lottery works out for you.

NPNParents.org is a good resource for researching schools in the city, as well as some of the closer suburbs. Plenty of people have opinions about CPS, but unless you're posting on a parenting board you're getting opinions from many people who have absolutely zero experience with CPS schools.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
$220K ?

Brookfield!

3211 Grand Blvd, BROOKFIELD, IL 60513 | MLS# 08535077 | Redfin

Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
Yes there are some affordable houses if you know where to look. Brookfield too. Problem with the city is the houses are so darn expensive there for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago