Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Other words that are puzzlingly auto-censored:

y.ak (as in the large mammal)
Please don't offend Mongolians.

MONGOLIA - YouTube

Quote:
f.rogger (as in the classic video game)
I'm sorry, poking fun at the French is not acceptable, either.

Quote:
p.icka (I don't even know what the hell that means much less why it would be auto-censored)
Sure, gypsies move around a lot, and may not stay in Chicago long… BUT ARE THEY NOT PEOPLE TOO?!?

The Pikey Caravan - Snatch. (1/8) Movie CLIP (2000) HD - YouTube

…Drover, I've given you rep points before… REP POINTS!!!!!!!!! And then you've become an ethnicist?!?!?!?!@!?

Faith In Humanity: Lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Other words that are puzzlingly auto-censored:

y.ak (as in the large mammal)
f.rogger (as in the classic video game)
p.icka (I don't even know what the hell that means much less why it would be auto-censored)

Oh hell, I'm fueled on caffeine, let's try a few more classic arcade made-up word references:

Galaga!
Gorf!
Zaxxon!
Sinistar!
Yar's Revenge!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Sure, gypsies move around a lot, and may not stay in Chicago long… BUT ARE THEY NOT PEOPLE TOO?!?

The Pikey Caravan - Snatch. (1/8) Movie CLIP (2000) HD - YouTube
Dags! Where are my dags?!

Loved that movie... we actually had loads of gypsies in Lake View, I think that godawful "free limo service" restaurant on Ashland and Wellington was a beacon.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

Loved that movie... we actually had loads of gypsies in Lake View, I think that godawful "free limo service" restaurant on Ashland and Wellington was a beacon.
That was Little Bucharest, and they're still around. They had a second restaurant on Elston in Irving Park (once a Romanian stronghold) called Continental Cafe. When Little Bucharest on Ashland closed, they transferred the name to the Elston Avenue restuarant. They're the primary sponsor of the annual Taste of Romania festival, and yes, they still offer free limo rides.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:

Quote:
That was Little Bucharest, and they're still around. They had a second restaurant on Elston in Irving Park (once a Romanian stronghold) called Continental Cafe. When Little Bucharest on Ashland closed, they transferred the name to the Elston Avenue restuarant. They're the primary sponsor of the annual Taste of Romania festival, and yes, they still offer free limo rides.
I liked Little Bucharest. I have a soft spot for Eastern European things though.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM

I like Eastern European culture, from when I went as a kid to friends of mine before they relocated, Little Bucharest was known for pretty bad service. I wish them the best of luck at their new digs, but as a vegetarian, it's not exactly my cup of tea.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM

No idea where to put this, but this seems like a good topic. Note her description of Lincoln Park High School!

From Cabrini to M.D.:

Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Nice story.

Quote:
No idea where to put this, but this seems like a good topic. Note her description of Lincoln Park High School!

From Cabrini to M.D.:
Given that she went to Newberry I suspect she was part of the IB program at LPHS, and I suspect that there is nice story about teachers at Newberry too, the "roots" of success really have to get laid down pretty early. She is 35 there were probably not as many good options in that area, I remeeber before the Ogden Ave bridge was closed you would come into the Cabrini arae from the area near St. John Cantius and it was like a scene from a bad movie, with the most intimidating mix of thugs and loiters hanging out from the time school got out to who knows how late into the night...

For anybody that doubts that gentrification worked from a real estate perspective you should take a look at that area today. It is like a picture of yuppified delights.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Given that she went to Newberry I suspect she was part of the IB program at LPHS, and I suspect that there is nice story about teachers at Newberry too, the "roots" of success really have to get laid down pretty early. She is 35 there were probably not as many good options in that area, I remeeber before the Ogden Ave bridge was closed you would come into the Cabrini arae from the area near St. John Cantius and it was like a scene from a bad movie, with the most intimidating mix of thugs and loiters hanging out from the time school got out to who knows how late into the night...

For anybody that doubts that gentrification worked from a real estate perspective you should take a look at that area today. It is like a picture of yuppified delights.
Possibly, getting into the IB program wasn't guaranteed regardless of your elementary school success. LPHS also had a popular math-science program, which was good but nowhere near as insanely rigorous as the IB curriculum and workload.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 PM

283 posts, read 447,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
Are there an specific steps that a newcomer who perhaps is more well off can do to keep from being part of the problem?
Don't call the police on drummers in the street or partiers or those playing music or playing in the street with fire hydrants for one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago