Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Yes. Lord knows they could use the economics boost. And maybe the Brits would give back the Parthenon!

As for the OP question, "If Chicago won the Olympics," I like th eidea of a mano-a-mano battle of the cities.

I think we could take gold in the Corruption event, although Istanbul might pull the Byzantine trump card.
The Parthenon Museum near the Acropolis is very explicit about the missing pieces that were stolen by the British. If I recall, signs on display literally use the word stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The Parthenon Museum near the Acropolis is very explicit about the missing pieces that were stolen by the British. If I recall, signs on display literally use the word stolen.
We need more of this in the news:

Mayor of London Calls Clooney's Remarks 'Hitlerian' After Actor Says Brits Should Return Greek Artifacts

Old 02-28-2014, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,272 times
Oh man...I actually do think about this from time to time...the big "What if?" Kinda pointless, but eh, it's always nice to day dream.

Anyway, I think this could have gone a long way towards introducing some revitilization on the south side and making Chicago more of a "complete" city. I've always thought the communities & neighborhoods of Douglas, Bronzeville, & Oakland had some potential due to the geographic location (close to the lake & somewhat close to the loop), institutions (IIT), and access to rail transit (Green line). While I don't believe the Olympic plan really had much planned in the way of those areas other than the Michael Reese site, I can't imagine there wouldn't have been some spillover development.

I think one of the big differences between the north side and south side is the fact that one can travel from the Loop clear up to Edgewater through a contiguous spate of vibrant or somewhat vibrant neighborhoods. On the south side, Hyde Park & Kenwood kind of seem to be on an island without anywhere near the vibrancy on the travels to those locations. It's obviously up for debate as to how much the Olympics would have impacted such development, but I don't think it could have hurt.

On the flip side, it's probably a good thing we didn't get the games. Like most anything else the political beings seem to get their hands on, it wouldn't have been difficult to imagine an event of this magnitude easily morphing into a financial boondoggle.

Crowds and travel/security inconviences aside, I think Chicago would have put on a great show.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDrizzle View Post
Oh man...I actually do think about this from time to time...the big "What if?" Kinda pointless, but eh, it's always nice to day dream.

Anyway, I think this could have gone a long way towards introducing some revitilization on the south side and making Chicago more of a "complete" city.
Day dreaming here also - it would be nice to have it in Chicago and revitalizing areas on the south
side near or close to the original 1893 Columbia Exposition.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM

955 posts, read 1,830,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The benefits to the near south side and upgrades to things like transit could have potentially been immense -- Micheal Reese Campus is still a big hole in the path of development down from the south Loop. Upgrades to transit to link the proposed Washington Park temporary stadium to the rest of the "Olympic Village" could have really been a major upgrade to all ease of connecting the greater Hyde Park area into the broader transit system.

Upgrades to regional competition sites for things like equestrian events and white water canoeing could have exposed those sports to whole new population and would have been part of the expanded "public infrastructure" that could have brought generations more to appreciate those sports in the region.

The funniest part of the whole deal going to Brazil is that had Daley and the rest of the "delegation" played a little "dirtier" they almost certainly would have got the nod -- the guys from Brazil no doubt showed the selection committee a VERY good time with Rio's unique pleasures...
That was the sad part of it, this could have been a nice boost for the investment famished south side neighborhoods. This is the story of Chicago today, one region of the metropolis shines and prospers, while the greater mass of the city languishes.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
A little off topic, but The IOC is as douche-filled as any bureaucratic body can be, and has been at odds with the USOC off and on for years. I think they'll put off holding an Olympics in this country as long as they can.
Having hosted the Olympics 8 times already (4 each of Summer and Winter Olympics), which is far more than any other country, probably played a part in deciding against another U.S.-hosted Olympics.

I'm with chet on the long-term benefits of transportation infrastructure upgrades we probably would have experienced. I'm not sure I agree on the benefits of all these other sports venues/facilities; I suspect they would have become financial albatrosses as they have in a lot of other former host cities.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Unemployed workers throughout the region wondering where the promised jobs are. They will be joined by jobseekers from around the country, creating a substantial vagrancy problem. Several tax increases, perhaps on rental cars and restaurant meals. Starting perhaps this year, definitely next, sky-high air fares, crowded flights. Some transit improvements, but not enough. Let's see how Brazil does.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-28-2014 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Add line about vagrancy

Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM

955 posts, read 1,830,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Let's see how Brazil does.
Rio had 1209 murders in 2012. I think they'll win the gold in homicide.

215 Tips on Rio de Janeiro Warnings or Dangers - Stay Safe!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
. . . Let's see how Brazil does.
They'll get a test-run this year hosting the World Cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago