Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 AM

4 posts, read 19,313 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

I am just curious as to know how long it would take to walk from the North to the South of Chicago. I know that Google maps give a feature as that allows you to get an estimate as to how long such a walk would take but it is not always accurate as far as i can tell.

Sorry for the typo in the title maybe someone could fix this for me?

Last edited by Sir_Osis_of_Deliver; 03-02-2014 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Pick a starting address. then and ending address, Google Map will calculate it for you.

You could try starting at the border of Evanston (Howard St) and ending at the border of 95th St (this is where i believe the suburbs begin and end along the lakefront area. If you walked along the lakefront I'd say this is the path I would take. Safe from cars and stop lights, safe enough for a pedestrian. Just don't text and walk, as people have fallen off into the lake Of course this is a kind of winding path, so its not a straight north to south walk but I think it may be your best scenic one.

Of course if you wanted a straight path, Western Ave goes all the way.

How long it will take you is depending on how fast you walk. It could take all day. Maybe even 2 days.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I was thinking, if you take the lakefront path, the neighborhoods and people changes. Some people feel comfortable walking or not in those neighborhoods. I have driven down South Shore Drive all the way to Indiana, and I saw how the neighborhoods change both racially and with housing and environment. Some areas may not feel as safe as others, but thats up to you, I cannot recommend safety or not, as being in a car is just fine. If I were to walk, I'd feel pretty safe just following the lake front path from where Evanston ends on the north side near Howard and then following that path all the way south, as far as it will take you. when you need a break or dont want to go further, you can hop on a nearby bus. Just folow the lake on the lake side of Lake Shore Drive and then it will turn into South Shore Drive approx somewhere past McCormick Place.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
According to Google maps, it would take 8 hours to walk from Western and Howard to Western and 119th. I would consider consider doing this walk in a group if possible and with someone carrying lol

Also 3MPH is a very doable walking speed and it's ~24 miles so I'm not sure why that wouldn't be accurate?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 19,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
According to Google maps, it would take 8 hours to walk from Western and Howard to Western and 119th. I would consider consider doing this walk in a group if possible and with someone carrying lol

Also 3MPH is a very doable walking speed and it's ~24 miles so I'm not sure why that wouldn't be accurate?
Thanks for the reply

Maybe it is accurate. I have walked a few local paths and used Google maps to track the time and it has always been quite a bit off but i understand the walking speed can differ. Also i walk very small distances, nothing like the length of Chicago. I have never been to Chicago so i do not know exactly where the city limit extends to!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
The Halsted 8 bus gives a real overview of Chicago and would be more entertaining than walking.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
From border to border, Chicago is pretty big. There is an 18 mile long trail along the lake that covers most, but not all of Chicago. The starting point is about 7100 S, but along that path Chicago can go as far south as 135th or 140th st. That's basically another 7-9 miles on top of that. On the north, it stops at around 5800 N, and the city goes to around 7500 N, or another 2.5-3 miles.

If you walked at an average speed of 18 MPH through the lake front trail and took 2 hours of breaks, you could do that portion in 8 hours probably. If you started in an area like Hegewisch further south, that 7-9 miles would take you another 2.5 hours with 30 minutes work of break. Another 1.5 hours for the north thing and you're probably talking about 12 hours with around 3 hours work of breaks, and probably more like 14 hours total if you want to rest even better.

The part south of where the trail begins is pretty industrial, gritty, etc. I think during the day the lakefront areas would be fine on the south side, but of course anywhere in the city just remember to be aware of surroundings. You never know, but I think the trail is fine, honestly especially during the day.

This video may interest you a little bit. These guys biked the entire lakefront trail going to all 32 beaches in town. The first ones aren't on the lakefront trail for the record, but most beaches are accessible by it:
32 Chicago Beaches in 1 Day - YouTube

Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Osis_of_Deliver View Post
Hello All.

I am just curious as to know how long it would take to walk from the North to the South of Chicago. I know that Google maps give a feature as that allows you to get an estimate as to how long such a walk would take but it is not always accurate as far as i can tell.

Sorry for the typo in the title maybe someone could fix this for me?
That's very ambitious.

Of course it could be done. People walk across the country! Google maps says 10 hrs from Hegwisch to Rogers Park, and it is usually pretty accurate--of course that doesn't take into account the fact that, unless you are a serious runner etc., you are going to get blisters that are going to stop you right in your tracks after about 2-3 hours.

If you do it, for safety, I would get to the lake front/lake front trail ASAP and stay on it until you reach the near South Side. Not the most interesting jaunt, but non-natives don't have much business just wandering around some of the far south side neighborhoods.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,938 times
Take the red line to 35th, then walk down Halsted heading North until you reach Addison.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you walked at an average speed of 18 MPH
I'd be a freak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago