Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They really are. That's pretty interesting stuff. My grandfather's surname was changed from a Ukrainian one to something that is very commonly Polish because the surname started with "Pole."

My great grandparents, grandfather, etc were planning to come to America and then the Bolshevik thing started literally days before their planned departure. Only my great grandfather made it to the US where he lived for a few years while the rest of the family lived like nomads and walked to some country (forgot which) to come to America. Before that, my great uncle got sick and they dripped hot candle wax on him to stop something from happening, forming a small hole on his neck. When Ellis Island people saw it, nobody could speak English to explain it so they thought he had some weird flesh eating disease and kept him there for a year.
My family actually knew 0 words of English for the first ten years in the US. My grandfather taught himself English and taught his family. Of course he went on to learn about 6 other languages LOL

When my parents came (they didn't come together but met in Chicago) they came into Boston.
Neither knew English & my grandmother never did. She never wanted to or had to because everything
she needed or if she had to speak to someone she was in UV and all merchants spoke Ukrainian.
Same situation with names when they arrived. They would change their first names to more
of an American name, even though today many of their original names are common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,275,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My husband is 100% Ukrainian and grew up in the village. He attended St. Nicholas back when classes were taught in Ukrainian.

When his family arrived here in the 50's, they rented one room in an apartment shared by several other Ukrainian families in a building owned by Ukrainians. They worked and saved every penny till they could buy their own 3 flat and rented out rooms to other Ukrainian immigrants.

His parents lived an isolated life within the village to the point they never learned English because they rarely ventured out of the village. His mother was a commercial cleaning lady and worked for a Ukrainian supervisor.

That generation is long gone and their children have, for the most part, left the area. I would be surprised if there were 250 people of Ukrainian descent left in the area and they are not likely going to rent out rooms to immigrant families.

Having said this, the area, especially the churches and museum, remain a part of Ukrainian cultural history.
I agree with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago