Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:46 PM

92 posts, read 99,241 times

Advertisements

Passing on the right is just one of those technically illegal but usually little enforced laws. It is true that they will take your license away on at least some moving violations maybe all. I know I got my license taken away twice. It really sucks if you don't have a bond card ( I never bothered to get one) and you need the license for ID if you are flying somewhere on a trip. Another little known moving violation is making a right on red at an intersection with more than 4 corners (even if there is no sign posted that says no turn on red). I got nailed for that at Lincoln Belmont and Damen or maybe it was Clark Diversey and Broadway. I think the intersection was posted no right on red but I must not have noticed the sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,705 times
Personally, I would love people to start getting ticketed for driving in the left lane on the highway (during non rush hour). Folks need to realize that the left lane is for passing only, I dont care if you are going 80mph, you should not be in the left.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think I've passed a cop on the right without getting pulled over.

If someone is turning left and you don't pass on the right in Chicago, people behind you will go crazy honking their horns and screaming.
Just speaking for myself here, but IMO going around a left turner isn't passing them in the legal sense. Not passing on the right would refer to exiting your lane, so as to distinguish it from going briefly into a lane of traffic headed in your direction to pass someone in your lane.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:33 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Just speaking for myself here, but IMO going around a left turner isn't passing them in the legal sense. Not passing on the right would refer to exiting your lane, so as to distinguish it from going briefly into a lane of traffic headed in your direction to pass someone in your lane.
Well, it is illegal......and I used to do it all the time until the car in front of me was promptly pulled over for doing it.......so I don't pass a car turning left at an intersection anymore. The people behind me can beep beep beep all they want.

BTW....this was in Ohio.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM

255 posts, read 583,381 times
(625 ILCS 5/11-704) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-704)
Sec. 11-704. When overtaking on the right is permitted.

(a) The driver of a vehicle with 3 or more wheels may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

1. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

2. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

3. Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of moving vehicles.

(b) The driver of a 2 wheeled vehicle may not pass upon the right of any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the unobstructed pavement to the right of the vehicle being passed is of a width of not less than 8 feet.

(c) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway. (Source: P.A. 84-873.)

Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
(625 ILCS 5/11-704) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-704)
Sec. 11-704. When overtaking on the right is permitted.

(a) The driver of a vehicle with 3 or more wheels may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

1. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

2. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

3. Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of moving vehicles.

(b) The driver of a 2 wheeled vehicle may not pass upon the right of any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the unobstructed pavement to the right of the vehicle being passed is of a width of not less than 8 feet.

(c) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway. (Source: P.A. 84-873.)
And there ya go. Now, if the City would only take the time to define what the rules of the road are for these so-called "rush hour lanes," but nobody in CDOT wants to touch that political 3rd rail with a 10 foot pole.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
The key in the law is usually the "sufficient width" argument and the tickets I have gotten usually say "improper lane usage" meaning that there really were NOT two lanes and I basically "squeezed around" the car in a non-traffic lane.

I have generally gotten court supervision for this...

Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Personally, I would love people to start getting ticketed for driving in the left lane on the highway (during non rush hour). Folks need to realize that the left lane is for passing only, I dont care if you are going 80mph, you should not be in the left.
Most people do use the left lane for passing, the people who get all fed up over them are the impatient ones that expect everyone to pass traffic going 100 mph... no thank you i'll pass traffic as fast as i want

Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgb3 View Post
Hi,

I was pulled over for 'overtaking on right'. Police took my license, and I was given a court date. Probably most radiculus reason to be pulled for, I can't even find anything on-line on possible consequences?
I assume this is happened on a interstate freeway? passing on the right is dangerous on a freeway because traffic moves slower in the right lane, traffic entering and blind spots.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM

29 posts, read 37,646 times
Isn't that the obnoxious practice also known as "bogarting"? I didn't think CPD was capable of enforcing a completely-ignored traffic law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago