Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 AM

146 posts, read 300,281 times

Advertisements

I lived in Chicago for 4 years in the early 2000s, and I always have a hard time explaining to people that the day-to-day experience of living there isn't necessarily one of drive-bys and gunshots and police sirens. Obviously it depends on the neighbourhood you live in (and I imagine things are different for women than they are for men) but I don't recall ever feeling especially unsafe in the city.

What is your day-to-day experience like? When was the last time (if ever) when you felt unsafe in Chicago. Are things changing -- either for the better, or the worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
When cpd is behind me.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
never

Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Only lived here a few years to this point, but never.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
The most unsafe I've ever felt in Chicago is waiting for the 55/Garfield bus in Washington Park at 10-something at night. It was very disconcerting - several drug dealers were making sales to people in cars (with me a couple yards away), it was dark, poorly lit, and the street is HUGE, and I didn't know the area well at the time. Not a good situation, but no one bothered me.

I did get attacked on the red line last year, but that wasn't nearly as scary. It was just some sicko who didn't like me sitting next to him (he grabbed my hand and tried to bite me, I punched him in the chest, he then screamed everything you can think and I transferred cars). It was really more annoying than anything.

Navy Pier and Ohio Beach last July 4th were pretty unnerving when scores of ghetto types were running, screaming, pushing, and I was worried my girlfriend might get trampled or shoved. I threw a shoulder at one of the hoodlums running when he got too close. Those kids were out of control.

Finally, honestly, weirdly, the night Zimmerman was exonerated was a little tense too. There was a gigantic guy crying on the 151 (around 9pm) because of the verdict, and he seemed pretty nitro. There was a huge police presence that night on Michigan too; I remember being wary overall due to the palpable tension.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
The closest I've been to being scared was a few months ago riding the Halsted bus at Addison when this guy got on who was definitely mentally challenged or high. The bus was half empty he still chose to stand at the door directly in front of me. He decided to finger a gesture in front of my face. Then he nodded his head and kept doing it. My friend that I was sitting across from gave me a look like don't you respond to the foolish behavior. Eventually he got off. I had to keep my cool. I generally try to avoid certain areas and Boystown is one of them.

Another situation was near the Chicago and State red line on a Friday night. All I could see where teens and police. Nothing was happening but it was an awkward feel. I generally try to avoid the area at certain times.

TBideon, the night of the Zimmerman verdict was very weird. The media had put in to people's head that there was going to be a riot. I personally thought that it was over done. I remember being on the train in Oak Park and seeing White teens rush off the train after they heard due to the anticipated violence.

I have no desire to visit North Avenue or Oak street beach. When I hear about mob attacks and robbery it's another reason for me not going. Too dirty and crowded.

I've never felt fear like I was going to be shot or anything. Never been robbed. Chicago is just like most cities, we have to be aware of our surroundings.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
The only times I ever felt somewhat scared were when I was growing up as a kid and exploring parts of the city for the first time. But it wasn't a feeling of "unsafe". Just a new environment type scared while being young

Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
I don't feel unsafe.

I feel leery when I see large groups of white college-aged boys because their sense of entitlement can make them idiots. (I'm white male myself)

Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I don't think I've ever actually been scared.

The only times I can think of are on the train or a bus where the totally crazy person gets on and then starts acting or saying really weird things. You never know what's going to happen. They normally don't pay any attention to me personally, but just having someone a foot away from you who could very well pop at any moment or cause an awkward scene is unnerving.

Of course this happens maybe once every few months or only a few times a year. I don't sit around thinking about it.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The closest I've been to being scared was a few months ago riding the Halsted bus at Addison when this guy got on who was definitely mentally challenged or high. The bus was half empty he still chose to stand at the door directly in front of me. He decided to finger a gesture in front of my face. Then he nodded his head and kept doing it. My friend that I was sitting across from gave me a look like don't you respond to the foolish behavior. Eventually he got off. I had to keep my cool. I generally try to avoid certain areas and Boystown is one of them.

Another situation was near the Chicago and State red line on a Friday night. All I could see where teens and police. Nothing was happening but it was an awkward feel. I generally try to avoid the area at certain times.

TBideon, the night of the Zimmerman verdict was very weird. The media had put in to people's head that there was going to be a riot. I personally thought that it was over done. I remember being on the train in Oak Park and seeing White teens rush off the train after they heard due to the anticipated violence.

I have no desire to visit North Avenue or Oak street beach. When I hear about mob attacks and robbery it's another reason for me not going. Too dirty and crowded.

I've never felt fear like I was going to be shot or anything. Never been robbed. Chicago is just like most cities, we have to be aware of our surroundings.
Do you think that guy on the bus was doing that to you because he is a racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago