Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new on here; long time reader, first time poster. I'm finally moving north from Florida, and I have a question regarding where to live in Chicago. I am originally from Michigan, so I am aware of the climate around the lake.. Florida has way too much sunshine year round for my personal tastes. Just so that you're aware of my demographic, I'm 20y/o, single, male and a software developer.

Anyhow, I've got a job lined up in River North, which is close to the red and brown lines in Chicago, but I'm not entirely sure what the best place to live would be for me. I'd probably prefer a place with an easy commute (River North area) over a busy nightlife area that isn't as convenient (Wicker Park, for example), as I can always get to those areas, but won't do so daily. I want to rent somewhere that has a convenient commute (walk, bicycle or El; I plan on selling my car), and my price range would be $1k-$1.5k/mo. I actually prefer a studio because my stuff doesn't take up much space and it would be easier to decorate/fill properly. I've heard that it costs a premium to live in a place like Gold Coast, River North and Streeterville, but I'm having trouble finding anything less expensive that would be an easy commute. I'd gladly spend a lower amount than the rents in those areas if possible, but I haven't seen anything quality nearby for less. Ideally I'd ride the El for no longer than 30 minutes each day, but I believe that limits me to north/south, and I prefer to live on the north side (I'd gladly live in west town if the commute were convenient.)

I know that I'll have no trouble finding a good studio for 1.5k right in River North, Streeterville or Gold Coast, but I do prefer to stay closer to the bottom of my price range in a neighborhood where I'm not paying a premium to live. My primary concerns with inexpensive buildings are roaches and bad infrastructure, so I prefer to pay median price relative to the area I'm in. My currents strategy is to look at the city-data median income map of Chicago and find similar-income areas of the city, but I do wonder if there are any places locals would know of that are specifically ideal for my rent and location preference. I've noted my cost range instead of salary because I have no student debt, car payments or other sorts of financial baggage that I'll be bringing with me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Where in River North? It will impact your commute times.

Were I you, I'd live in Wicker Park near Milwaukee and Damen and commute by bike.

Alternately, Lakeview/Lincoln Park by Diversey/Clark and also commute by bike.

Both would be about a 20 minute commute by bike and have decent backup transit for days you really can't bike. You will fit in better with your new coworkers if you're a cyclist. Seriously.

Also, there are some studio apartments on Division between Clark and State streets. Not fancy, but in your price range and you could walk to work in less than 20 minutes.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I would caution the OP that there are is NOT even detail of the "median income maps" for Chicago to make them useful for the purpose of finding a suitable neighborhood to live. A few weeks back this sort of topic came out in another context, namely where are Chicago's "wealthy" neighborhoods -- due to the high concentration of relatively high paid city workers in some areas near Chicago's borders the distribution is skewed...

I would frankly endorse the recommendation fo emathias -- River North itself has a great deal of intensive high volume dining and night spots on nearly every block that attracts large crowds; that does not seem to be what you are looking fo at all. In contrast the developments in Wicker Park would be an easy commute and have mostly a residential character so long as you not right on the busy thoroughfares. Similarly Lakeview and Lincoln Park are VERY MUCH ideal for the lifestyle you want with the nightlife being confined to just a handful of corridors with the majority of those areas being pleasant / safe places to live

Old 04-10-2014, 05:54 PM

148 posts, read 213,222 times
OP (Hejhallo) - where did you end up?
Had I been looking, I'd suggest 420 N. Wabash - quiet, civilized, professional (very rare in this city apparently). I'll explain more later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: