U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,714 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading this boards for the better part of a week now and it's really helped me gain some perspective on the city. From what I can tell everyone likes it for the most part (I am sure there are some haters). Anyway, I am moving January 1 and coming down this weekend to check the place out. I have looked and looked, but I guess I need some sound advice.

First, I'm an artist and filmmaker by trade but am also an avid sports fan. I like watching my Cubs just as much as I like making art and going to concerts (I admit that I am a rare combination, but it happens). I've looked at Lakeview because it is basically the place that everyone that has just graduated college moves to. It seems to be a young professional crowd with alot of stuff to do and it's close to the EL.

I've also really considered Bucktown/Wicker Park. I know they are about the same, but I really like the artistic vibe of the area. Granted, there are overpriced boutiques, but that happens anywhere that artists go to and make cultured. I can live with it.

Here's my question... what are the true pro's and con's of both areas. I would consider myself a professional, but not a frat boy. In the same token, I am an artist, but not an emo or hippie. I am trying to find which area would probably be best for me to move, knowing that I've never lived in a big city before. I know there's alot of cool stuff in WP/Bucktown but that's the same in Lakeview too... I get the idea it's just a different social scene. I'm not looking for a big place, just someplace to really call home for the night, and maybe set a desk or something up. I plan on being on my feet for most of the day. Anyone that can elaborate on either, I would greatly appreciate your help.

P.S. I've never lived around Bums before. How is it that they ALWAYS know I am from out of town (I even wear a Cubs hat alot). Any tips or things you do... I mean this one guy once paid his fare to get on the EL and then went up and down the train stop asking for money to help him get home... are all the bums this crafty?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,862,568 times
I think that you would be happy in either Lakeview or Wicker Park. Traditionally, Wicker Park was more artsy, but I would say that now the two neighborhoods are pretty similar. Both have lots of stuff to do, good restaurants, and good nightlife. The plus of Lakeview is that it is closer to the lake and you can walk to Wrigley Field. (the downside of being able to walk to Wrigley is the traffic/loudness that comes along with the games). My advice would be to look and see what deals you can find in either place!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 PM

15,585 posts, read 25,873,899 times
If you love the Cubs move to Lake View. There are many places to be had there for a reasonable price still. In certain places there is still enough raunch and action so it is not totally a bore.

Wicker Park is not that artsy anymore and there are just as many (if not more now) recent graduates there than Lake View. WP/Bucktown is super trendy and except for a handful of bars, I do not think the people that live there now are close to what you seem to be. If you do not want Emo or Hipster... DO NOT move to WP/Bucktown!

Maybe try the southern end of Uptown between Irving Park and Montrose. Close enough to Wrigley its within walking distance,cheaper rent,eclectic eateries, a mix of cultures and incomes. That should be more condusive to what you seek.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 AM

11,973 posts, read 30,238,032 times
That southern part of Uptown spoken of by AvengerFire is called Buena Park, and that is where I live. It feels a bit more grown up than Lakeview, but is quite similar in many ways. The downside is that we don't have enough pedestrian-friendly businesses, but we do have enough to make life without a car workable (i.e. groceries, dry cleaning, a few bars, a few restaurants, and a few coffe shops). Also, the heart of Lakeview is a 10-20 minute walk away.

Wicker Park and Bucktown are becoming a bit different. Wicker Park has more historic buildings that have been re-habbed, while Bucktown is becoming teardown central. This is largely because Wicker Park is mostly brick buildings and has a large historic district, while Bucktown has (or had) many wood-frame cottages that people are less likely to love and care for. North Damen Aveunue in Bucktown feels a bit fancier and high-end than Milwaukee Avenue through Wicker Park. But Wicker Park also has the burgeoning strip on Division Street, which is really booming right now.

Lakeview is more dense than Wicker Park/Bucktown, especially as you get close to the lakefront. Car ownership and parking is a little bit easier the further west you go, but all of these neighborhoods are walkable and don't require a car. East Lakeview is perhaps one of the most walkable parts of the city, and has some of the only pedestrian-friendly supermarkets in town (and will have another when the Dominick's on Broadway gets rebuilt after it's firey demise a few years ago).

Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 PM

15,585 posts, read 25,873,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That southern part of Uptown spoken of by AvengerFire is called Buena Park, and that is where I live. It feels a bit more grown up than Lakeview, but is quite similar in many ways. The downside is that we don't have enough pedestrian-friendly businesses, but we do have enough to make life without a car workable (i.e. groceries, dry cleaning, a few bars, a few restaurants, and a few coffe shops). Also, the heart of Lakeview is a 10-20 minute walk away.

Wicker Park and Bucktown are becoming a bit different. Wicker Park has more historic buildings that have been re-habbed, while Bucktown is becoming teardown central. This is largely because Wicker Park is mostly brick buildings and has a large historic district, while Bucktown has (or had) many wood-frame cottages that people are less likely to love and care for. North Damen Aveunue in Bucktown feels a bit fancier and high-end than Milwaukee Avenue through Wicker Park. But Wicker Park also has the burgeoning strip on Division Street, which is really booming right now.

Lakeview is more dense than Wicker Park/Bucktown, especially as you get close to the lakefront. Car ownership and parking is a little bit easier the further west you go, but all of these neighborhoods are walkable and don't require a car. East Lakeview is perhaps one of the most walkable parts of the city, and has some of the only pedestrian-friendly supermarkets in town (and will have another when the Dominick's on Broadway gets rebuilt after it's firey demise a few years ago).
Yes, Buena Park is doing just fine again and I do not live to far from it, although I live in Lake View;-)

Everything Lookout said is generally true. The only thing I will add is if you go farther east in the southern end of Uptown the prices are much cheaper but the area is grittier. If that does not bother you, go closer to the lake east of Broadway between Irving and Montrose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: