Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 08:17 AM

226 posts, read 382,082 times

Advertisements

Regarding lease renewals...

My lease is not up until June, yet I was given a lease renewal form on March 14th with a deadline to sign by March 29th. This seems exceedingly early to me and it's completely caught me off guard - I thought I'd have at least two more months to consider it (or at least two months worth of time to consider the renewal). My question is, is it legal for a landlord to force the tenant to decide this early and with only two weeks to decide? Or this completely standard?

Also, has anyone had any luck negotiating a 6 month lease with landlord? Will many do it? There is a chance my husband will be looking for work out of the country and we simply can't know that we'll be here for the next 12 months. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 03:06 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
I know my lease states when I have to renew the lease by. As such, check your lease. Ours expires Sept 30 as we signed on Oct 1. We have to give 2 months notice, so we'd have to renew or give notice we are not renewing July 31.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:40 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Seems to me that 30-60 days notice is standard. I agree - check your lease.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:26 PM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
Check the CRLTO (Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance) - http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...LTOEnglish.pdf

Of course, there are many exceptions to this.

I'd ask the landlord if they'd consider 6 months for a higher rent - no one likes to rent in the wintertime. Otherwise, if you're done at the beginning of June, then it's close to that 60 day mark as stated above.

It does look like, however, the legal window is between 30 and 90 days. So, you might just have to try to negotiate. Mun code chapter 5-12-130 (j)

Old 03-28-2016, 07:13 AM

226 posts, read 382,082 times
Thank you everyone for your responses, I greatly appreciate it!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:30 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
Regarding lease renewals...

My lease is not up until June, yet I was given a lease renewal form on March 14th with a deadline to sign by March 29th. This seems exceedingly early to me and it's completely caught me off guard - I thought I'd have at least two more months to consider it (or at least two months worth of time to consider the renewal). My question is, is it legal for a landlord to force the tenant to decide this early and with only two weeks to decide? Or this completely standard?

Also, has anyone had any luck negotiating a 6 month lease with landlord? Will many do it? There is a chance my husband will be looking for work out of the country and we simply can't know that we'll be here for the next 12 months. Thank you in advance!
That is ok. Thats only 2 months till your lease is up. Landlord either go by 30 days or 60 days to know when apartments will be available. They want to start to show the apartment and get it ready in time. If you think you have "two more months to consider it" that means you expect your landlord to start showing the apartment May 14. Thats not reasonable of you.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
It's pretty standard. When I lived in Chicago I was typically offered a lease renewal 90 days in advance of the termination date of my lease, with 30 days from that point to decide.

Quote:
Each landlord is different in that regard. Just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: