Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 7,003 times

Advertisements

I've been considering Chicago as my next stop for some time now. However, I am hesitant to move without a job while realizing applying for jobs out of state is tricky.

Does anyone have advice on applying to jobs in Chicago? Any good job boards or temp agencies? I have an MPP and would ideally like work for a policy trade association or some government role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 04:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
It depends on what your line of work is, what your level of experience is, and such. A large and/or profitable company that thinks you're valuable? They aren't going to give a **** about giving you $4000 for moving expenses. The benefit to them by having you there greatly outweighs it. However, a small-ish firm that doesn't make too much money, if any? Might care more about that.

Most people I work with, including myself, were not living in the Chicago area at the time of hire and 90% of the people we've hired in the last year weren't either. It really depends on a few things, but depending on your level of experience/expertise, line of work, which company you are looking to get hired into, etc I wouldn't necessarily be discouraged but know that many, many companies hire out of state all the time.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM

360 posts, read 811,702 times
In 1999, I received $5k to relocate to Chicago. I just had a friend who moved there from Upstate New York and the company offered her the same amount, 15 years later. Go figure.

My advice: If you can afford to do so, travel to Chicago for a week or so on vacation,stay in an inexpensive motel and drive around the city. Read the local newspapers and apply for any jobs that you see for which you believe that your skill would be a good fit.Also, purchase a throwaway cell phone and get a Chicagoland (312,773,708,815 or 847 area codes) phone number for it to take any calls which you might receive.

Then depending upon what you see and how many calls that you receive decide whether or not you want to move there. Unfortunately, the unemployment rate in Illinois is dropping rather slowly, so while there jobs the competition for them is somewhat fierce. It may take a while for you to land a good position.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Then depending upon what you see and how many calls that you receive decide whether or not you want to move there. Unfortunately, the unemployment rate in Illinois is dropping rather slowly, so while there jobs the competition for them is somewhat fierce. It may take a while for you to land a good position.
It's a little more complicated than this but some jobs may have a good amount of competition.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 PM

360 posts, read 811,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's a little more complicated than this but some jobs may have a good amount of competition.
"More complicated" than a high unemployment rate?
If that doesn't "complicate" things, I'm not certain what would.

Rather odd comment to make.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
"More complicated" than a high unemployment rate?
If that doesn't "complicate" things, I'm not certain what would.

Rather odd comment to make.
No he's saying it really depends on the field one is in... just because the overall unemployment rate is high doesn't mean some jobs aren't more accessible than others.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,938 times
I would recommend temp agencies. You will get paid between $11 and $17 per hour with no benefits. If you are lucky, you will find a consistent 35-40 hours a week gig, if not, you will be an on call temp and work ~20 hours per week if you are lucky.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No he's saying it really depends on the field one is in... just because the overall unemployment rate is high doesn't mean some jobs aren't more accessible than others.
That and unemployment rate has a lot more factors that go into it than not. For example, the unemployment rate of peoples with a bachelors degree or higher is a good amount lower than people who only graduated high school/GED or didn't graduate at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago