Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 11,747 times

Advertisements

That's correct oakparkdude. I will be going back to Canada after 2 years so schools are not important but I do take chet's point about neighborhoods and preschool.

Forgive me for my ignorance (I have only been to Chicago a handful of times - mostly for work) but how long would it take to go from South Loop to the Loop. Maps make it look really close but they can be deceiving. Is it walkable in the summer or transit all the time? How close would shopping be (department stores and groceries)?

Thanks for all your replies - this forum has been a great source of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Yes, WALKABLE in good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer905 View Post
That's correct oakparkdude. I will be going back to Canada after 2 years so schools are not important but I do take chet's point about neighborhoods and preschool.

Forgive me for my ignorance (I have only been to Chicago a handful of times - mostly for work) but how long would it take to go from South Loop to the Loop. Maps make it look really close but they can be deceiving. Is it walkable in the summer or transit all the time? How close would shopping be (department stores and groceries)?

Thanks for all your replies - this forum has been a great source of information.
Depending on where exactly work is and which part of the South Loop you find a rental it is very likely you could walk in good weather -- very nice plus!

Unfortunately unlike many Canadian cities Chicago has very few provisions for pedestrians to get from place to place during harsh winters or heavy rains so you probably will end up on buses or El in such weather.

South Loop has a nice mix of regular grocery stores (Trader Joes, Whole Foods as well as local chains) and even a few big general merchandise stores like Target. The old grand dame of shopping, State St still is home to what once a flagship of the Marshall Field empire, the large department store headquartered in Ohio and made famous in movies about Christmas in NYC is still in business...

Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 11,747 times
Is South Loop safe? What parts or what are the cut off streets I should be aware of? I'm a little nervous with reading some of the posts about crime. Given that I will be there alone with my daughter (and am not familiar with all of the neighborhoods) I want to make sure I stay away from the areas that are troublesome.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The South Loop basically has been THE major success story of transforming a former warehouse / publishing plant district into a rather nice option for residential development.

A very very long time ago (in developer time that means before the 2000s...) there were some "men's only rooing houses" that served as something less than halfway houses / somthing more than "shelters" for the winos and bums but those are long gone. Now there is a shiny new Whole Foods at Roosevelt Rd and an even nicer Mariano's at 17th and Clark.

That said for places WEST of the river I would stay NORTH of 14th St as there is a methadone clinic and the "workers training" facility of Pacific Garden Mission down past the big Home Depot while EAST of the river things are basically all cleaned up right into McCormick Place and Chinatown...

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Actually, yes and no. The South Loop 40 years ago was a red light district with strip clubs and SRO hotels for men. That is long gone. It is a viable option now, along with the Maxwell Street area west of the Dan Ryan; another success story. Pacific Gardens is sort of halfway between both areas but walled off.

Since the South Loop has a police station at 17th street, it is fairly tranquil. You should note that former Mayor Daley lives in the area. Dearborn Park in the South Loop is notorious for housing many high level city employees, some judges and some police officers. It is an option also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago