Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 13,813 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I recently received military orders to the Capt James Lovell Federal Health Care Center in North Chicago....it's where the Navy recruit training center is. My wife says since I'm dragging her to the tundra of Chicago winters she wants to live downtown (and because she hopes to work at a downtown hospital). I'm scared that driving the 35 or so miles from downtown to North Chicago during the winter months will be nearly impossible, as in taking 2 or so hours each way due to road conditions.

I've also thought I could drive/walk/whatever to the southmost Metra line and catch that UPN rail that will take me right there, in hopes the weather doesn't greatly affect a rail commute.

Anyway, not familiar at all with Chicago, and I know people will suggest one neighborhood over another. But I'm not trying to rationalize with my wife right now or get her to consider something else if it's not necessary....I just want know what it's going to be like commuting to 35miles to North Chicago if she stays fixated on wanting to live downtown Chicago. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
LOL@ Frozen Tundra comment. Where are you guys from? Just curious.

You are right about the commute by car - it will suck no matter what time of year it is rain, snow, or shine especially from downtown. Even from the furthest part of Chicago, it would probably not be fun after awhile. The Metra stop is almost 1 mile away from the address for the Health Care Center. According to the website, there is a shuttle service that runs between 7am and 5pm, so I would check with that. However, if your hours go beyond 5pm then you'd have to walk that. That wouldn't be a problem in the summer or fall, or an actual spring day, but winter - not so much. So I would check with them for more information about all of that.

Each way from the main downtown terminus would take a little over an hour. Luckily, that hour is a little less stressful than sitting in traffic. As far as living goes - what is your monthly budget for rental? Remember that if you have a car that parking at a high rise will add a few hundred per month onto your cost. There are many parts of Chicago where you can certainly live car-free too, and downtown is obviously one of them depending on other stuff (i.e. if you need a car for your commute or work).

There are also other areas of Chicago too. Downtown is certainly one area, but there's many other areas where there's a ton of stuff to do and tons going on. Less than 5% of Chicago actually lives downtown, even though it's one of the fastest growing cores in the US. There is also a stop for that Metra line in an area of town called Ravenswood (near Lincoln Square) which has more of a village within a city type of urban feel. That will cut off 10-15 minutes of your commute each way for the train portion, rent is cheaper up there, and having a car would be cheaper too if you bring one. The brown line city train goes through there too, which can get you downtown in 20-30 minutes depending on which part of downtown. That runs about 21 hours/day.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-05-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 12:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Living downtown can be extremely expensive.

The commute it long, if by car; tolerable by train. It does get very, very cold in the winter but it's survivable. I commuted between downtown and the north side while in college. It was just a part of life so I managed.

I hope you two find a way to compromise and enjoy the city once you arrive.

Thanks for serving our country. Be safe out there!

Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I'd say scrap living in Chicago. Way too far. Find another place to live near by. There are many good suburban hospitals your wife can work at that are closer to North Chicago. Find a way to enjoy Chicago on week ends or in your free time.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I'd say scrap living in Chicago. Way too far. Find another place to live near by. There are many good suburban hospitals your wife can work at that are closer to North Chicago. Find a way to enjoy Chicago on week ends or in your free time.
Possibly, but I don't think they necessarily need to. The good thing is that the workplace is semi close to a Metra stop and they offer shuttle service. If the OP's shift ends before 5pm, then it will be easier. Of course, these run less than a city train so if you miss one, you'll be waiting longer for the next one.

It sounds like the OP really wants the job and the only way his wife will go is if they live in Chicago. The OP is lucky that the work place is near a metra stop with a shuttle service even if it's 50-65 minutes to various parts of Chicago.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I looked up the address of the Health Center - it's on Green Bay Road in North Chicago. I would think the reverse commute would be doable if you live somewhere in the city with easy access to 94, but it would be longer in the winter snow. I would not live *downtown* as there are better neighborhoods that will make the commute easier. Also, it will depend on the time of day.

It looks like the North Chicago Metra stop is not too far from where you want to be. There is a 7:30 am train from downtown that gets into North Chicago at 8:45 am. Earlier can also be done. Or you might want to live near the other stations (Clybourne, Ravenswood, Rogers Park, Evanston) for a shorter trip. Not sure if you would need a bus connection or be able to walk from the station to the health center.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I looked up the address of the Health Center - it's on Green Bay Road in North Chicago. I would think the reverse commute would be doable if you live somewhere in the city with easy access to 94, but it would be longer in the winter snow. I would not live *downtown* as there are better neighborhoods that will make the commute easier. Also, it will depend on the time of day.
FYI - There's a metra stop and the hospital offers a shuttle service between the hospital and metra station between 7am and 5pm. If this didn't exist, then yeah...don't do it but that's not the case with it. It's doable via Metra if you live near the West Loop, Ravenswood/Lincoln Square, or Rogers Park. The only thing is in the winter and that 5pm thing.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
FYI - There's a metra stop and the hospital offers a shuttle service between the hospital and metra station between 7am and 5pm. If this didn't exist, then yeah...don't do it but that's not the case with it. It's doable via Metra if you live near the West Loop, Ravenswood/Lincoln Square, or Rogers Park. The only thing is in the winter and that 5pm thing.
It would be rather silly to live in "downtown" Chicago as this is primarily a financial / office employment center and does not really offer the kind of lifestyle that most people would call "hip urban living" but would be more like what a 'business traveler' might encounter with lots of places that are indistinguishable from the chain restuarants in any employment center.

Even if the OP was not commuting nearly 40 miles to North Chicago it just makes a lot more sense to focus primarily on neighborhoods that has a nice mix of walkable local eateries, convivial nightspots, cute boutiques, and similar urban amenities. High on the list would be Lincoln Square. IN fact since Lincoln Square will be a solid 10 miles closer this really makes the whole prospect much more doable -- https://goo.gl/maps/fwNTY The Ravenswood UP-N line is also not inconvenient for Lincoln Square residents. https://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/...dule.full.html

Old 04-05-2014, 09:02 PM

^ Yep. Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area will take 15 minutes off the commute each way, be more affordable, allow them to live with the car without having to pay $200/month in parking fees, and they will still be able to get downtown and back (and other parts of the city) fairly quickly and easily. If they are absolutely fixated on living downtown, then yes it's possible too and the West Loop is the best bet because it's closer to the train station too and the establishments there will give them something more unique that they may not find in other places (unlike probably 33% of the Loop, as you have pointed out).

Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I suspect that daily average will be MUCH more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Yep. Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area will take 15 minutes off the commute each way, be more affordable, allow them to live with the car without having to pay $200/month in parking fees, and they will still be able to get downtown and back (and other parts of the city) fairly quickly and easily. If they are absolutely fixated on living downtown, then yes it's possible too and the West Loop is the best bet because it's closer to the train station too and the establishments there will give them something more unique that they may not find in other places (unlike probably 33% of the Loop, as you have pointed out).

The traffic will likely be a WHOLE LOT MORE TOLERABLE from Lincoln Square as you'd miss a great deal of the CHOKE POINTS on the expressways... I would estimate the last ten miles would be much more like half an hour during "average" PM inbound rush hour and probably more like double that in the worst traffic snarls caused by things like a Cubs game, horrible weather, Presidential motorcades or similar traffic nightmares...

I also suspect that the OP is rather unfamiliar with Chicago is they say they want to live "downtown" and frankly though there are a handful of valid reasons to possibly consider West Loop the rather nasty traffic that often clogs the Kennedy would be a deal killer for a driving commute to the town of North Chicago where the James Lovell health clinic is located. Given the downsides of EVEN getting around the West Loop to utilize the Metra (things like events at United Center would be #1 concern but even festivals an Loop related commuters would very likely make this a wholly unpleasant option...) I would really suggest there are far more positives to live well north but still inside Chicago if an fun filled urban lifestyle is your goal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago