Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm working on a novel that partly takes place in Chicago. I really need some help if anybody out there's got this kind of info:

My character owns a supermarket. What part of the city should it be located in? It needs to be a good neighborhood, but not too upscale because he isn't super rich. Just a good location for a middle-class kind of grocery store. Street names would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Interesting. Good, middle class, nothing upscale.. grocery store. I guess you could pick from a lot of neighborhoods like an Avondale, Irving Park, Portage Park, Belmont Cragin, Jefferson Park, Dunning, Garfield Ridge, West Elsdon, Ashburn, West Lawn, Hegewisch, Montclare, etc.

Also, is this a store that's more urban that people might normally walk to, or is it a grocery store that has a sizable parking lot?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM

216 posts, read 313,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman1 View Post
Hi, I'm working on a novel that partly takes place in Chicago. I really need some help if anybody out there's got this kind of info:

My character owns a supermarket. What part of the city should it be located in? It needs to be a good neighborhood, but not too upscale because he isn't super rich. Just a good location for a middle-class kind of grocery store. Street names would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!
This is an interesting question. Can you give us some more parameters? What kind of overall feel do you want this store to have? What ethnicity are the shoppers?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,552 times
I guess I want it to be more of an urban grocery store that people might walk to, but a pretty decent-sized one. The character who owns it has a great deal of pride in providing his community with food. So something with a real community feel, but a safe neighborhood with low-crime rate.

Thanks for the quick response, guys.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Well, on the north and northwest side areas like like Edgewater, Avondale, Irving Park, or even Albany Park may work. I wouldn't say these areas have no crime going on in them, but they're relatively safe neighborhoods that have an urban enough fabric that people may walk to it. The people there are pretty neighborhood focused IMO (like a lot of Chicago).

The north side is kind of famous in Chicago and not a ton about the South Side gets written about. I think maybe an area like Bridgeport in that case might be good - I always think of it as middle class. Maybe even small areas of West Elsdon (which is near Midway Airport).

Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
I guess I want it to be more of an urban grocery store that people might walk to, but a pretty decent-sized one. The character who owns it has a great deal of pride in providing his community with food. So something with a real community feel, but a safe neighborhood with low-crime rate.

Thanks for the quick response, guys.
I think that this place is pretty much exactly what you're looking for:

A&G International Fresh Market

Near Belmont Ave and Central Ave, it serves Polish, Mexican and established American residents on the Northwest Side of Chicago. It has a strong street presence, so people do walk there, it's big and I'm sure the owner is quite proud. It's on the border of the Belmont-Cragin and Portage Park neighborhoods, which are pretty typically middle-class parts of Chicago. They are not the safest areas in Chicago, but they are not dangerous by any real measure.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Not to second-guess, but why don't you write a novel that's set in a city you're more familiar with?

Or... why don't you write it in such a way that it doesn't need specific street names or neighborhood names?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:

Thanks very much!
Make sure that it's not a Dominick's...

Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
MY GAWD! First rule of writting -- DON'T WRITE ABOUT SOMETHING THAT YOU DON"T KNOW ABOUT!

Seriously. Chicago has been whipsawed by the recent closure of what was once a locally based of groceries that were once owned by a local family before being liquidated by Safeway. If you would do even a simple google search you'd see what sort of hardships this caused -- Dominick's Parent Company Leaving Chicago Market: Chicagoist

Old 04-07-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
MY GAWD! First rule of writting -- DON'T WRITE ABOUT SOMETHING THAT YOU DON"T KNOW ABOUT!

Seriously. Chicago has been whipsawed by the recent closure of what was once a locally based of groceries that were once owned by a local family before being liquidated by Safeway. If you would do even a simple google search you'd see what sort of hardships this caused -- Dominick's Parent Company Leaving Chicago Market: Chicagoist
You don't write about something you don't know about, unless it's fiction and you do your research. I don't think the second part matters, though. The average reader is not either going to know or care about that when they're reading a work of fiction. A market in an urban setting is accurate enough for the city as is still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago