Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM

14 posts, read 36,811 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm moving out to Chicago in July and I've already posted before about neighborhood recommendations. //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...old-young.html

You all have given me some really good places to visit when I stop by over the Easter holiday.

My question is more geared to the pro's and con's of high rise apartment living vs. low rise. Also, do the high rises even fit my budget, which is about $1,250. Looking at places like LP, Lakeview, Wicker, Bucktown, Oldtown, Logan Sq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Let me think. Many high rises (not all) have a gym and many have a doorman. Some have a pool or two as well. The newer ones will probably even have stuff like a theater room you can rent out. Also with the doorman comes the ability for you and them to control who even gets let into your building, and they can sign for packages for you while you aren't there.

High rises usually cost more because of the gym, doorman, pool (if any of those are applicable) than a low rise as the extra money goes towards that stuff. The cons I can think of have to do with how high up you'd be anyway. For example, if you are high up enough you'll hear more noise when your windows are open versus if you were on the 2nd floor because you don't have buildings/trees to filter out the noise for you. Also dealing with elevators - if it ever breaks down and you live up high then you have to find a way up or down. I've lived in a high rise and this has only happened once to me and luckily I was going down, not up. You have to deal with other people getting on and off too so if you live on the 30th floor and it's a busy time, it may take you a few extra minutes to get up or down.

$1250/month could probably get you at least a studio in many areas. Maybe not like River North but there should be ones available in Gold Coast for that much or up to $1300 (the convertibles in my building start at $1300/month in Gold Coast).

Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
High rises often have a nice view and better security, but they also often feel more isolating from the surrounding area. Also, you also usually have less choice when it comes to cable, internet, etc., and if the building has central HVAC systems, can have weird ventilation issues (moreso in older buildings).

For those reasons I personally prefer living in smaller buildings and have only lived in a high-rise once, for a short time. My 4-story vintage building feels tied to the area and I have completely choice of cable and internet providers and my own HVAC system. It's also well-built and very quiet.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 PM

288 posts, read 255,554 times
I live in river north and love it, it's a studio. If we have maintenance on 1 elevator there's 3 more. Security is tight though, unless your on a specific list, no one can come up unless you give direct permission to front desk ( they call you). The building is kept in top shape, everyone is very friendly, gym, yoga room, tennis courts pool BBQ etc, it's a high rise but very worth it

Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kch84 View Post
I live in river north and love it, it's a studio. If we have maintenance on 1 elevator there's 3 more. Security is tight though, unless your on a specific list, no one can come up unless you give direct permission to front desk ( they call you). The building is kept in top shape, everyone is very friendly, gym, yoga room, tennis courts pool BBQ etc, it's a high rise but very worth it
It is SUCH a personal preference. I much prefer vintage, but if you're interested in a high rise having never lived in one, give it a shot, a lease is for only a year.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,253 times
Depending on other building blocking, and the floor - A southern or southeast exposure is the best for getting sun in the winter , and avoiding an 'afternoon broil' in later Spring, Summer, and early fall . Southeast will give one a lot of morning light ..

Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,187,296 times
The high rise will offer you more amenities and most likely a nicer view. It'll be more expensive though. A low rise will be cheaper--with your budget you could probably pull a one bedroom versus a studio--and it'll be easier to have guests. Granted, you're less likely to have a gym and far more likely to have a view of a brick wall across the alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: