Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

They "demand" action? From whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
I grew up in South Chicago. It was understood then that if you're from South Chicago you don't venture into South Shore and if you're from South Shore you don't venture into South Chicago.

I got robbed while walking through South Shore when I was a kid. I was just going home. I was a skinny 16 year old and 4 gangbangers jacked about $40 from me.

South Shore is one of those places where even if you mind your own business you are still a target. And this is regardless of race. If anything White people are more likely to be left alone unless they have a look that says "I am an easy target" which most transplants do.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:37 AM

1 posts, read 894 times
My fiance has a house (childhood home) across from Avalon Park. Her mom lives near 83rd and Bennett. I have my own home in KC. Over the years when I'd stay with her or her mom I always felt relatively safe. I have a car, so we drive most everywhere. Sometimes going to Happy's at 79th and Cottage at night to get some beer or wine it feels a little dicey. Selling reefer as you go in. But never had any problem with anybody. Wouldn't walk to Happy's in 2018 though. Maybe in 2009, but not now. Re going to eat, we go to AP Deli at 2025 E 76th Street for great corned beef, to Taurus at 86th and Stoney for great steak sandwich. Used to go during day and at night to Rainbow Beach and never were bothered. I'm white, but never caused me or us a problem. But go to 82nd and Maryland and feels like wild wild wrst. Then walk through Marynook and it feels really nice and safe. We used to go to Artis on 87th near Stoney and always enjoyed. If people didn't like me for being white they never showed it. Artis closed, but a bar a few blocks to the west ob 87th on north side of street where we watched NBA playoffs in June of '17 was also very welcoming. Turned out my fiance knew the gal who worked there and had previously worked at Artis. So could be since I was with her my experiences were mostly good. I see that Rainbow Beach hours are now cut way down. Close 5pm Sat and all day Sunday. That's a shame. Such a great outlet for people. Would be worth investing in some extra security to keep open at night 7 days a week in the hot summer.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Lots to agree with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgold09 View Post
My fiance has a house (childhood home) across from Avalon Park. Her mom lives near 83rd and Bennett. I have my own home in KC. Over the years when I'd stay with her or her mom I always felt relatively safe. I have a car, so we drive most everywhere. Sometimes going to Happy's at 79th and Cottage at night to get some beer or wine it feels a little dicey. Selling reefer as you go in. But never had any problem with anybody. Wouldn't walk to Happy's in 2018 though. Maybe in 2009, but not now. Re going to eat, we go to AP Deli at 2025 E 76th Street for great corned beef, to Taurus at 86th and Stoney for great steak sandwich. Used to go during day and at night to Rainbow Beach and never were bothered. I'm white, but never caused me or us a problem. But go to 82nd and Maryland and feels like wild wild wrst. Then walk through Marynook and it feels really nice and safe. We used to go to Artis on 87th near Stoney and always enjoyed. If people didn't like me for being white they never showed it. Artis closed, but a bar a few blocks to the west ob 87th on north side of street where we watched NBA playoffs in June of '17 was also very welcoming. Turned out my fiance knew the gal who worked there and had previously worked at Artis. So could be since I was with her my experiences were mostly good. I see that Rainbow Beach hours are now cut way down. Close 5pm Sat and all day Sunday. That's a shame. Such a great outlet for people. Would be worth investing in some extra security to keep open at night 7 days a week in the hot summer.
The sorts of decisions that Chicago is making to try to "cut the budget deficits" are really making things tougher for area like South Shore. If the beaches were better policed that absolutely would be a healthier outlet for kids than hanging out in the random vacant lots next to liquor stores. Similarly the sorts of folks who've left for areas with better schools and nicer family environment mean those left behind are more likely to have a bleak future. Really awful to see how things are still spiraling downward, especially as areas farther and farther north get more and more costly. Kind of shocking that more of the alderman and other elected officials from the south side are silent when things are so obviously not headed in a good direction...

Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgold09 View Post
A lot of the areas you listed are in South Chicago though which already has about half the crime rate of South Shore. The other areas are considered Chatham or Avalon Park. Rainbow beach and AP deli are south shore though

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 06-22-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 PM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
A lot of the areas you listed are in South Chicago though which already has about half the crime rate of South Shore. The other areas are considered Chatham or Avalon Park. Rainbow beach and AP deli are south shore though

yes, I used to exercise all the time at avalon park and I actually like that neighborhood. I've spent a lot of time over there. 82nd and maryland is bad tho and it's in chatham. I live in chatham also, but not the bad part. the suburban part I guess.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:15 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
Reviving this thread as apparently commercial real estate activity in South Shore is pretty high with out of state investors. Add the Obama Presidential Center and Tiger Woods golf course, U of C expanding presence in Woodlawn, I'm wondering specifically two areas: 1) a house in Jackson Park Highlands, and 2) the area east of JPH around 67th and South Shore Drive?

Is it relatively safe? Good investment? Are things different now that the OPC will eventually get built? Thoughts please...

Old 07-14-2020, 09:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
I wouldn't.

There is so much local backlash against the OBC - with four years of legal challenges by the race-to-the-bottom-types - that who knows if it'll get built.

I vaguely remember an article from a few years ago in which Jackson Park is considered a quiet and safe oasis. But you have terror town about 8 blocks south, the Black Stones have a massive presence in your potential destinations, and the GD's are only a few blocks away. Rainbow beach is no picnic either.

Out-of-state investors buying properties for pennies to the dollar and holding them on for years, even longer, are not indicative of an area's stability. They're more like penny stocks to them. And they can afford to wait for years, decades, for the proper changes that will make an area worthy of investing; I assume you don't have that time.

It's just too much uncertainty and chaos to be worth the investment, at least for me. I would look for a more stable area.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I wouldn't.

There is so much local backlash against the OBC - with four years of legal challenges by the race-to-the-bottom-types - that who knows if it'll get built.

I vaguely remember an article from a few years ago in which Jackson Park is considered a quiet and safe oasis. But you have terror town about 8 blocks south, the Black Stones have a massive presence in your potential destinations, and the GD's are only a few blocks away. Rainbow beach is no picnic either.

Out-of-state investors buying properties for pennies to the dollar and holding them on for years, even longer, are not indicative of an area's stability. They're more like penny stocks to them. And they can afford to wait for years, decades, for the proper changes that will make an area worthy of investing; I assume you don't have that time.

It's just too much uncertainty and chaos to be worth the investment, at least for me. I would look for a more stable area.
I agree with you, except the part about pennies on the dollar. While South Shore real estate is considerably cheaper than on the north side, out of state investors have bid prices up higher than "less sexy" south side Community Areas such as South Chicago, Auburn-Gresham, Roseland, Chatham, and Washington Heights, which have similar crime issues. So expect to pay a pretty good price for something nice there compared to what you might pay a little south or west of there.

South Shore definitely has charm, particularly around 71st and Yates. You've got the Lake, and the South Shore Cultural Center. And it will surely seem like a bargain if you're cross-shopping places in Logan Square, Humboldt Park, or even East Garfield Park, which has been seeing a lot more intense speculation.

But there's a reason for that. Crime has been a vexing problem in the area, it has a lot of pockets which are not very safe. In fact, most of the neighborhood really isn't what one would call safe, even in the best parts. And gentrification is less likely than areas further north due to the distance from the Loop and near complete lack of diversity, both within South Shore and in surrounding Community Areas.

I knew a (white) guy who bought there back in 2005 because it was the next sure thing. He was gone 2 years later like his hair was on fire. I don't think anything specific happened to him, he was just not comfortable and felt isolated. Another friend moved there around that same time period (African-American) and he got robbed at knife point. He was out of there within a couple years too.

So as you say, I'd buy there with caution and certainly keep my investment low.

Last edited by BRU67; 07-14-2020 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Reviving this thread as apparently commercial real estate activity in South Shore is pretty high with out of state investors. Add the Obama Presidential Center and Tiger Woods golf course, U of C expanding presence in Woodlawn, I'm wondering specifically two areas: 1) a house in Jackson Park Highlands, and 2) the area east of JPH around 67th and South Shore Drive?

Is it relatively safe? Good investment? Are things different now that the OPC will eventually get built? Thoughts please...
I don't see how the Obama Presidential Center and the other non-profit/municipal investments will result in much private investment in the area. If the expansion of the University of Chicago and their investments were truly beneficial beyond Hyde Park and Kenwood, the south side would be a very rich place. Whereas, the reality is that Hyde Park and Kenwood are laggards themselves when it comes to property values compared to northside neighborhoods. If you like the area, go for it. But, don't expect that area to appreciate along the lines of a West Loop, Wicker Park, or Humboldt Park. Not in a million years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago