Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 AM

52 posts, read 202,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssankner View Post
I've lived in NYC for over 25 years, right out of U of I with a Journalism degree. I never grew up or lived in big cities until I moved here and worked for 22 years in magazinesm publishing, marketing, and PR. NYC has taken my heart, my soul and everything in between. I lived through 9/11 and then lost my husband of 18 years. Lost my health and lost my job, but I still stayed because I didn't want this city to beat me. Now 6 years later, I have a fiance with a 15-year-old son, and I went back to school and got my Master's in Teaching. For the past 5 years I have been teaching Kindergarten. He's a single dad with a soon-to-be 10th grader and we love Chicago and want to move there ASAP. I'm a teacher and he's a Stationary Engineer. Neither of us have new jobs, but we love the city of Chicago and need a fresh start. I'm so tired of reading about how everything is so bad! Doesn't anyone believe in second chances?? God! I hope so! Because I need a teaching job, we need an apartment in a decent neighborhood for a 10th grader in H.S. We are city people, please help. I'm not afraid personally of bad neighborhoods (having living on lower east side of Manhattan and Williamsburg, Brooklyn before it was cool.) Do we leave NYC or am I crazy?
If it's what you really want, then you're not crazy. If moving to Chicago will make you happier, then that is what you must do.
But don't believe everything you read. If you do, you'll always believe things are bad. They're not. Especially not for a city like NYC at the moment.

Right now I'm actually looking to move to NYC or Chicago. Been dying to live in either of these cities (primarilly NYC) my entire life. I've been living in an incredible city/country for the past 24 years and I've asked myself if leaving is the right choice, but I know it is. Like you, I need a fresh start in a brand new city.

If you have a Masters degree in Teaching and live in NYC, then I'm sure Chicago will be able to offer you the job you want as well as an apartment in a very nice neighborhood.

There are always second chances in life. We make and change our own destinies. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelike View Post
Manhattan more creative than Chicago? That's a laugh. No artist can afford to live in Manhattan, which has become a mausoleum of past creativity whilst Chicago is full of working artists, Manhattan full of business philistines. If you want to consume culture and are wealthy, Manhattan is great. Our symphony is better than yours, our opera competitive with yours. Your art museums are better (again, a great mausoleum.)
Theres the other four burrougs. Again, Manhattan is only a small part of NYC.

More analagous to Chicagos Loop/Mag Mile/River North/Streeterville/Gold Coast/ and maybe South Loop and Lincoln Park.

Theres a whole other Chicago out there, just like there are the other four burroughs of New York.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM

19 posts, read 80,848 times
Go to Chicago and add to the culture! Don't worry about if you'll be accepted the way you want--when you move there, accept others and get to know the people--and you'll change their minds all the while. Good for you!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
I love this part..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The way I see Chicago (vs. New York) is that the average (maybe more middle class) Chicagoan will go grab breakfast at a smaller but friendly Midwestern breakfast shop or cafe, then take a walk through the park and into the zoo or Conservatory, go to the beach (or the Cubs game) and have a beer or two, relax and take in the sun and stare at the beautiful architecture that surrounds you, then grab some deep dish pizza, hop on the train to downtown and catch a free concern in Millennium Park, stroll down State Street to the Theater District, catch a show, and head on over to a piano and cigar lounge in River North. That's how I see Chicago...spontaneous, but relaxed, eclectic, but genuine, and adventurous, but predictable, all of these qualities without being overly pretentious.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,462 times
I am with my boyfriend who had moved to NYC from Chicago to be with me a little over a year ago. Now he is mentioning how he's over NYer's attitudes, the hussle, the stress and wants to move back to Chicago where his friends are and life is much more relaxed (and the rent is cheaper). I've been in New York 15 years (I'm 30 now) but this is my second home and this is all I know aside from my home country Japan where all my family lives. I have a job here that I havent been layed off from, and if I drop my job as a graphic designer for the fashion industry to move to Chicago during this economic crisis, I feel as though I'm screwing myself over. My boyfriend said that the rent will be 200$ each instead of the 1000$ each we pay in NY and he said life is more relaxed there and would be good for me because I am always stressed.
I know I'm 30, but in NY, we don't really have to grow up but I admit going out to bars and clubs, hussling for connection to get that small "fame" is getting old. I'm scared that if I move to Chicago though that I am going to fall into depression from the change of pace of life. I'm also scared that because of the economy, I might not find a job and I might have to start working as a waitress (not that there's anything wrong with that but that's like going backwards for me as a career step).
He's going to move back to Wicker Park, which reminded me of Williamsburg BK where theres cute cafes and shops etc. and he really wants me to move there with him, or we'll go back to the long distance thing, and our relationship will probably fade away and become memories. I can go both ways, get over it and keep hussling in NY, or buckle down and try something new in Chicago. I'm just really scared of things that are unfamiliar with me......any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyshys View Post
I am with my boyfriend who had moved to NYC from Chicago to be with me a little over a year ago. Now he is mentioning how he's over NYer's attitudes, the hussle, the stress and wants to move back to Chicago where his friends are and life is much more relaxed (and the rent is cheaper). I've been in New York 15 years (I'm 30 now) but this is my second home and this is all I know aside from my home country Japan where all my family lives. I have a job here that I havent been layed off from, and if I drop my job as a graphic designer for the fashion industry to move to Chicago during this economic crisis, I feel as though I'm screwing myself over. My boyfriend said that the rent will be 200$ each instead of the 1000$ each we pay in NY and he said life is more relaxed there and would be good for me because I am always stressed.
I know I'm 30, but in NY, we don't really have to grow up but I admit going out to bars and clubs, hussling for connection to get that small "fame" is getting old. I'm scared that if I move to Chicago though that I am going to fall into depression from the change of pace of life. I'm also scared that because of the economy, I might not find a job and I might have to start working as a waitress (not that there's anything wrong with that but that's like going backwards for me as a career step).
He's going to move back to Wicker Park, which reminded me of Williamsburg BK where theres cute cafes and shops etc. and he really wants me to move there with him, or we'll go back to the long distance thing, and our relationship will probably fade away and become memories. I can go both ways, get over it and keep hussling in NY, or buckle down and try something new in Chicago. I'm just really scared of things that are unfamiliar with me......any suggestions?
It sounds to me like your dilemma is far more deeply rooted in personal rather than practical considerations. Accordingly, I don't know that we can help you there.

However, two practical considerations:

1) Your BF hasn't looked for an apartment around here lately if he thinks you can get by in Wicker Park paying $200 each in rent per month in Wicker Park. Bump that up to $450 each if you want a one-bedroom, or $600 each if you want a two-bedroom. If you want a place with all the bells and whistles, you're right back up to $1,000 each -- but it will be spacious and well-appointed rather than the phone booth I suspect you live in now. If you can stand being crammed into a studio together, then bet on $400 each.

2) Even in the best of times, you will find very little work in the fashion industry here. If you can apply your graphic design skills to some other field, you'd have a better chance finding something here that is befitting of your skill set.

Quite honestly in these times I wouldn't give up a job without already having another job lined up. I guess now it's up to which you want to give up: the security of your job and familiarity of your current environment, or your current relationship. You'll have to answer that one yourself, but it sounds like you're already leaning toward one versus the other.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Quite honestly in these times I wouldn't give up a job without already having another job lined up. I guess now it's up to which you want to give up: the security of your job and familiarity of your current environment, or your current relationship. You'll have to answer that one yourself, but it sounds like you're already leaning toward one versus the other.
That's my number one thought. Now isn't the time to leave a job, period. Regardless of where you are.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,663 times
Default NYC to Chicago

This post is soo old. I moved from Chicago to NYC. Please do not do it. I hope you did not do it. Definetly considering NYC unemployment is better than the national average.

I wish I could sit down with you and give you all the details. I ran from Chicago years ago and do not even go back to visit. It really comes down to taste. I have friends who love it. What was said above is true. It was just not for me. I helped a girlfriend move there from NYC and she loves it. She was the perfect fit so I new it would work for her. All of the above is true so I will not disagree with anyone.

However, I can tell it will not be the right fit for you.

All of my friends who moved from the East Coast or who are seriously world traveled and I mean have been to over 20+ countries are miserable. It is just not fare to compare NYC to any city in the world. It is a lost battle. So match Chicago traits to what you are specifically looking for.

I found that Chicago is special for the yuppies crowd. It honestly does not get any better for them. It is the best place on earth for them. If you were a straight, yuppie I would tell you to pack your bags.

It is an extremely segregated town. It is divided as it was 100 years ago -- irish, mexican, polish, black, yuppie (lincoln park), italian, etc. and there is limited mixing because the buses and subway system strategically do not overlap people. Unlike Manhattan you are crowded on the subway with anyone. It was amazing to me how native Chicago folk never noticed this. They were accustomed to it. The burbs are also segregated.

I am not gay, but coming out of NYC you will be miserable. The gays in Chicago do not have the respect nor the power and ease of living as they do in NYC. They practically run NYC and can be openly gay in business and personal. Gay is a race in NYC.

If you are edgy, fast paced, progressive thinking in your life philosophies do not do it. Honestly, the only other option is to find a city in California. Florida is only fun for a weekend. Actually Philly and Chicago are pretty similar however Philly has the East Coast influence. I would suggest Philly.

I hope you are still in NYC. and if you are still pondering a move, first start off with not comparing any city to NYC. and please speak to gay people too

The Midwest still has very religious roots and there is nothing wrong with this but it is still a part of the fabric of Chicago. AND THIS IS WHY IT IS PERFECT AND LOVED BY SOME AND NOT BY OTHERS.

if you do it --check out west loop, south loop and wicker park and quickly look for the cool people clicks they are there but a little tougher to find.

good luck and go cubs lol

Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
That post is over two and a half years old.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
That post is over two and a half years old.
Yeppers. And the "seriously world traveled" person who resurrected it has trouble with homonyms. Let's master "fare" vs "fair" and "click" vs "clique", then get to work on that migration commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago