Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Anybody have data on this? Percentage of college-educated AA by metro area?
"Some metro areas have experienced bigger gains and better outcomes than others since 2000. Of seven metro areas with large black populations, the Washington, D.C. metro area experienced the biggest gain, with an increase of 8.6 college graduates per 100 blacks age 25 and over. In 2010, the area had — in that age bracket – 29.8 college graduates per 100 blacks." This information is from an October 2011 report from the Dominion of New York and the numbers have most likely grown since then. Census: 48% National Increase in Black College Graduates | Dominion of New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
According to my data, here's the numbers for 2010 (by MSA) for Black alone having either some college/Associates Degree or a Bachelor's degree or higher. 25 years of age or higher:

* Atlanta | 7.82% Bachelors or higher | 10.77% Some college/Associates degree = 18.59% total
* DC | 7.44% Bachelors or higher | 7.5% Some college/Associates degree = 14.94% total
* Chicago | 3.09% Bachelors or higher | 5.94% Some college/Associates degree = 9.03% total

If you only count at the City level, then it's like this:

* Atlanta | 10.67% Bachelors or higher | 13.51% Some college/Associates = 24.18% total
* DC | 10.94% Bachelors or higher | 11.79% Some college/Associates = 22.73% total
* Chicago | 10.96% Bachelors degree or higher | 5.65% Some college/Associates = 16.61% total

Interestingly enough, Chicago has just barely a higher percentage of Bachelors or higher folk in the city than DC does (and more than Atlanta). Of course, more in Atlanta and DC have attended some college or gotten their associates. When you go to the MSA level, Chicago lags behind on both fronts.

It would be interesting to next see wage earnings and also I wish that the US counted people who were 22 or 23 years old instead of 25.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
For a black professional woman (straight), I'd put them in this order:

DC
Chicago
Atlanta

For a black professional man (straight), I'd put them in this order:

Atlanta
DC
Chicago

For a black professional woman (LGBT), I'd put them in this order:

Atlanta
Chicago
DC

For a black professional man (LGBT), I'd put them in this order:

Atlanta
DC
Chicago

Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For a black professional woman (straight), I'd put them in this order:

DC
Chicago
Atlanta
Atlanta is also not a good place for single black women.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:53 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. It's all hype and propaganda when it comes to cheaper costs--and I'm not talking about just the extras you mentioned, I'm talking about the rents themselves in addition to all the other stuff. Rent is high in Atlanta if you want to live someplace decent, I don't care what anyone says. Then couple that with the inability to find work or a job that pays a living wage.

Folks like to tout the red states for a lower COL, but it's low for a reason. The red states also have low pay, horrible or no transit, the highest crime, and the worst poverty in the nation.
But are most people in red states or places like Atlanta looking for an urban lifestyle? Not really. You stated yourself that 92% of the Metro Atlanta lives in the suburbs.

If I would live in a place like Atlanta, Dallas, I would be looking into the suburbs not the city. People who generally go to these type of places are looking for their house in the suburbs, nice house,and 2.5 kids not exciting city living. Being in the city is not the in thing in these type of places. So the average person is going to move to the suburbs and overall have a low cost of living than even living in nice suburb in Chicago.

However, I do agree the jobs can be much lower paying as I have searched for worked in Texas and Atlanta.

I guess I went to Atlanta went I was younger and never who expect urban living. It's all about a culture understanding.

Atlanta was always the talk in Detroit as to me the atitude of Atlanta is Detroit South, but not look wise.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta is also not a good place for single black women.

I actually have heard of this and probably will agree as I have had some crazy things happen to me in Atlanta as female and meeting guys from Atlanta in Chicago.

At least in Chicago the guys will attempt to actually take you out to dinner!

Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC is very integrated compared to Chicago. All you have to do is check out any yuppie neighborhood like U street, H street, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Gtown and u will see blacks and whites all over the place.
I think one thing that keeps Chicago segregated after all of these years is that the blackest black areas and whitest white areas are quite geographically far from one other (vs. DC, where everyone lives in smaller pockets that are quite close together). In areas where black and white neighborhoods are close together (like Uptown, Edgewater, and Rogers Park), the segregation indices are VERY low--and the 60640 and 60660 are among the most diverse zip codes in America. But someone living in Lincoln Park or the far NW side would rarely if ever have a reason to even drive through Roseland or West Pullman. Out of site, out of mind.

Even if you get closer to the Loop, the former black neighborhoods that nestled in to the downtown have pushed further south and west, leaving a sort of moat. The South Loop and West Loop neighborhoods have more integration than the neighborhoods just to the north, but as they become more expensive this is in jeopardy.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think one thing that keeps Chicago segregated after all of these years is that the blackest black areas and whitest white areas are quite geographically far from one other (vs. DC, where everyone lives in smaller pockets that are quite close together). In areas where black and white neighborhoods are close together (like Uptown, Edgewater, and Rogers Park), the segregation indices are VERY low--and the 60640 and 60660 are among the most diverse zip codes in America. But someone living in Lincoln Park or the far NW side would rarely if ever have a reason to even drive through Roseland or West Pullman. Out of site, out of mind.

Even if you get closer to the Loop, the former black neighborhoods that nestled in to the downtown have pushed further south and west, leaving a sort of moat. The South Loop and West Loop neighborhoods have more integration than the neighborhoods just to the north, but as they become more expensive this is in jeopardy.
DC is not any more or any less segregated than Chicago imo. If you use the NYT tool below, you'll see a very stark racial divide that runs roughly along the border of Rock Creek Park.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Neighborhoods are only "integrated" in the sense that there's rapid gentrification. But that's only a temporary condition. The more central neighborhoods will only continue to become whiter with Blacks relegated to the periphery.

DC also has a lot of public schools that are 99%-100% Black. Even Hardy Middle School, which is located in affluent Georgetown, is 64% Black.

School Profiles Home

Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
According to my data, here's the numbers for 2010 (by MSA) for Black alone having either some college/Associates Degree or a Bachelor's degree or higher. 25 years of age or higher:

* Atlanta | 7.82% Bachelors or higher | 10.77% Some college/Associates degree = 18.59% total
* DC | 7.44% Bachelors or higher | 7.5% Some college/Associates degree = 14.94% total
* Chicago | 3.09% Bachelors or higher | 5.94% Some college/Associates degree = 9.03% total

If you only count at the City level, then it's like this:

* Atlanta | 10.67% Bachelors or higher | 13.51% Some college/Associates = 24.18% total
* DC | 10.94% Bachelors or higher | 11.79% Some college/Associates = 22.73% total
* Chicago | 10.96% Bachelors degree or higher | 5.65% Some college/Associates = 16.61% total

Interestingly enough, Chicago has just barely a higher percentage of Bachelors or higher folk in the city than DC does (and more than Atlanta). Of course, more in Atlanta and DC have attended some college or gotten their associates. When you go to the MSA level, Chicago lags behind on both fronts.

It would be interesting to next see wage earnings and also I wish that the US counted people who were 22 or 23 years old instead of 25.
I have DC coming out on top of Atlanta using 1, 3 and 5-year estimates:

1-year:

DC - 24.22%
ATL - 23.38%

3-year:

DC - 22.90%
ATL - 22.48%

5-year:

DC - 22.83%
ATL - 21.79%

Also, I don't think Chicago has more black people with a Bachelor's degree than DC does. You have to remember that all of the people with graduate degrees also have bachelor's degrees. So the "total" figure you're providing is really the percentage of people with a Bachelor's or higher.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Yes, Actually no it's not that - the figure I provided is Bachelors or higher, as I already stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago