Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,922 times

Advertisements

So im looking at an Apartment on Madison just west of western. I work on N western ave, i'd be taking the 49 home very late (3-4am). I was just wondering if you think this would be a dangerous task??

A little about myself. Im college aged, I grew in in Chicago's lovely Austin neighborhood; I've been living in the south loop for the past couple of years though.
I really like the near west side area, a lot of history, nice industrial urban america feel. I am aware of the crime in the area.

However, I am just looking for a little more insight.. Are the people committing crimes in this area so spiteful to mug their hard working neighbors or are these more crimes of opportunity or strictly street related problems??

Let's chat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,922 times
i am pretty much wondering if this area has a since of community/ is it welcoming?
My 2nd option would probably be logan square/avondale/old irving park.. (more time on CTA and slightly more pricey)

Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
I personally wouldn't want to live that far west on Madison. I'd stay east of the United Center in that area. If you grew up in Austin you may have a different threshold than I do, though.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I sorta agree with nearnorth. The configuration of streets other than Madison St west of Western Ave is pretty funky -- many north-south streets are unnaturally interupted east of the RR tracks, other streets that should be east-west thoroughfares are similarly discontinuous. That really makes it much less likely that individual stores /homes / apartments will be constructed in the "one at a time" way that would be consistent with other desirable parts of Chicago and leaves room for more car centric forces to shape things. That won't make things better for pedestrians, bicyclists or advocates of "shop local" and similar initiatives.

The potential for things to be corrected is largely dependant on the city spendng some big money to re-gridify things (very unlikely) or some kind of big developer trading some things like gated interior streets / cul de sacs for some privatedly funded through-way improvements. Not real likely to result in the kind of development that makes "more welcoming"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: