Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Three words: Prison industrial complex.

Considering Chicagos long history of unproductive patronage jobs, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago has an untold story of a greater involvement in perpetuating the prison industrial complex more than other cities.

Chicago also built more project towers than just about any other city. Could concentrating poor African Americans in large project towers be an analogy to the prisons, which the projects would supply to?

Chicago PIC Teaching Collective | Dismantling the Prison Industrial Complex through Popular Education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM

424 posts, read 467,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Is Rogers Park considered the South or West side?
You're safe. Not among "them" apparently. Breath easy and have a beer my friend!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
No. Deeply ingrained in the city. Dating back to Al Capone, with his base in Cicero. Chicago has had a crime problem since the 1900s. Don't pretend like it started on the south side in the 90s.
Al Capone isn't around anymore. Cicero is not the north side. I live on the North Side. I haven't heard a gunshot yet. I haven't seen a gang yet. There is no gang culture from Irving to Downtown.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Al Capone isn't around anymore. Cicero is not the north side. I live on the North Side. I haven't heard a gunshot yet. I haven't seen a gang yet. There is no gang culture from Irving to Downtown.
Well you've probably seen gang members, just not the stereotype thugs running in packs or something.

I've been here 13 years living in the city, north and northwest sides, car free and on transit every day - and I've never heard a gunshot and known one person who was a victim of any violance.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've been here 13 years living in the city, north and northwest sides, car free and on transit every day - and I've never heard a gunshot and known one person who was a victim of any violance.
Same here, but the same is also true of people I've known who live on the South and West sides. Some of the safest neighborhoods in the city are on the South Side. Even in the most dangerous neighborhoods, it's not like you see people getting shot outside your window every day, which is how the media makes it appear sometimes.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Violence can happen anywhere, it's more in certain parts of the city than others, though.

I don't think the problem is going to be dealt with until the real root of the problem is addressed and the root of the problem isn't gun control, that's been proven not to work for many years. The politicians can blame the guns all they want and the citizens can ask for a policeman on every corner but it won't solve the problem.

Is the criminal justice system broke?

Are longer sentences the answer?

Who/what is to blame?

It's a shame when the majority of people in "bad" neighborhoods live in fear of the goons who have ruined the place.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Its not a panacea by any means, but longer prison sentences for carrying a weapon illegally would make a significant difference IMHO. Currently, carrying illegally nets about 6 months in jail, versus several years in NYC.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I don't think the problem is going to be dealt with until the real root of the problem is addressed and the root of the problem isn't gun control, that's been proven not to work for many years.
It hasn't worked because Chicago is surrounded by places that practically give you a free gun when you cross the state line. Trying to have a gun-free city in the middle of a gun-obsessed nation is like trying to have a smoke-free booth in a cigar lounge or a pee-free zone in a Wrigley Field urinal trough.

That being said, I agree with you that guns aren't at the root. Poverty is at the root. Our nation doesn't show any desire to address that anytime soon, though, so I have a feeling we can expect more of the same in the future.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Its not a panacea by any means, but longer prison sentences for carrying a weapon illegally would make a significant difference IMHO. Currently, carrying illegally nets about 6 months in jail, versus several years in NYC.
More punitive prison sentences would help. If inmates had to work on chain gangs or in work camps, they might think twice about committing crimes.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
It hasn't worked because Chicago is surrounded by places that practically give you a free gun when you cross the state line. Trying to have a gun-free city in the middle of a gun-obsessed nation is like trying to have a smoke-free booth in a cigar lounge or a pee-free zone in a Wrigley Field urinal trough.

That being said, I agree with you that guns aren't at the root. Poverty is at the root. Our nation doesn't show any desire to address that anytime soon, though, so I have a feeling we can expect more of the same in the future.
Really?

Don't you realize that no matter how many laws they make, the only people affected by those laws are the law abiding and not the outlaws. I wonder how many of those guns used in shootings were bought by people like you and I, those who go to a store and fill out the background check form and have a check done...

With that logic, places with less strict gun laws would be war zones.

Stop blaming the tool and start looking at the people. How is poverty the problem? Are you saying that poor people are prone to gun violence?

There are plenty of poor people in the country who don't go around shooting others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago