U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:52 PM

13 posts, read 12,914 times

Advertisements

Very close to getting a job at WFLD which is at East Lake St and North Michigan Ave. Besides moving for the job opportunity, I am looking to move to an active urban setting. I also want to have the shortest commute possible (20 minutes or less) on the subway (do you call it the subway in Chicago?). I love either modern or renovated vintage buildings and am looking to spend no more than $1500 for a one bedroom. I am a 40-something single gay man and if there are areas with a stronger gay community presence that would be nice too.

Thank you for any and all advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,499,721 times
We call our heavy rail system the L (as in short for "elevated") though small parts of the Red and Blue Lines are in fact underground near and through downtown.

If you want a short commute with an urban experience, your best bet is the River North / Streeterville area. Keep in mind this is a very popular nightlife area for people from all over the region so you won't have as much of a "neighborhood" feel as you would in, say, Bucktown or Lincoln Park. These too draw in people from outside the neighborhood but they tend to be more local.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM

15,322 posts, read 20,700,609 times
Welcome. Only part of Chicago is the subway - some may call it that but the overall term is just the El or L (i.e. Elevated track lines). As far as your lifestyle, I am not gay but have a number of gay friends in your age bracket in the Gold Coast area which has places around your price range, at least vintage ones. This is downtown essentially and maybe a mile north of where you would be working. The neighborhood is tolerant of it, but there's only two gay bars downtown really. It has a more neighborhood feel in some sections than an area like Streeterville, River North, and the Loop. It's a dense place, so if you're looking for mainly high rises, density, and downtown with a little bit of a neighborhood feel in some spots then the Gold Coast is best for that IMO.

Otherwise, there are a number of gay men in your age bracket in the area of Andersonville and there's more gay-oriented businesses there too. This is a little north and west of the main LGBT area of town, Boystown. You could easily find something (won't be a high rise) for your budget up there. It's a nice residential section of town. The only thing is that it's probably a 30 or 35 minute train ride to your work place from there. It's also not right on the train line but close, so you may have to walk a few minutes to catch the train from there.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,666,696 times
Gold Coast seems like an area you should look in to.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Thank you all so much. This is a big help.

What about Boystown? Any thoughts? Is it an urban setting? How long a train ride to work for me?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Boystown is an urban setting, yes. Commute to Lake and Michigan could be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes door-to-door, depending on exact location in Boystown, time of day, weather conditions, etc. You wouldn't necessarily take the train though; there are express bus options that would probably work better if you lived on the eastern edge of the neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:39 PM

741 posts, read 682,862 times
Boystown/Lakeview. Not Andersonville, in this instance IMO.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM

15,322 posts, read 20,700,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaEric View Post
Thank you all so much. This is a big help.

What about Boystown? Any thoughts? Is it an urban setting? How long a train ride to work for me?

Boystown is urban of course. It's in one of the densest areas of town technically speaking - it's really a mix of people from my experience. Younger and older people. Most of my gay friends in your age bracket do go to Boystown someitmes to drink and what not (not all the time though) but they don't necessarily live there. It really depends on what you want I'd think - most of my gay friends in your age bracket though live in either Gold Coast, Andersonville, or Edgewater for reference - all are urban (Gold Coast is most urban, followed by Edgewater, and then Andersonville).

Train ride from Boystown is probably 25-30 minutes.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM

I am not looking to be at bars and nightclubs every night. My goals are the urban setting, short commute and an inviting atmosphere with an active nightlife available. Sounds like Gold Coast/Streeterville is a good one.

How about West Loop?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaEric View Post
I am not looking to be at bars and nightclubs every night. My goals are the urban setting, short commute and an inviting atmosphere with an active nightlife available. Sounds like Gold Coast/Streeterville is a good one.

How about West Loop?
I don't know that I'd call Gold Coast and Streeterville an "inviting" atmosphere in the sense that they don't provide the same sort of intimate neighborhood setting that more resident-oriented neighborhoods like Lincoln Park or some place like that would provide. Depends on what your priorities are. If you want a more neighborhood feel, they probably won't do it as well as other options. But if you want to be in the middle of the Midwest's most prominent "see and be seen" nightlife buzz, that's the place to be.

West Loop is basically a collection of restaurants with a few loft developments. Once the restaurants close for the evening the place is basically a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago