Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Probably not, but you never know who is riding the train with you. I have a friend who used to be a director at a well known public company for over a decade and is probably worth over $10 Mil and rides the train everywhere here. I have a family member that doesn't live here, but is probably worth closer to $50 Mil and rides the train and walks everywhere whenever he visits Chicago. Never has a car - only takes cabs when he really needs to. Some people actually like human interaction even on a train, believe it or not.
Yeah, but seriously how many people are taking the train because they like human interaction? This whole thread seems heavily based on observations of people seeing people on the trains.

Although maybe we're getting down to the crux of the matter. Maybe Chicago just "seems" unfriendly compared to other more auto-oriented cities, because on public transit, you see peoples' scowling, grimacing faces, whereas on a freeway, people can hide their bad mood behind their windows, and put on the smiling face when they get out of their cars.

While I think public transit is an essential public good that needs to be expanded, I do prefer to be alone in my car when I'm grumpy, and save the public transit when I'm not in a rush and am going somewhere fun. But then again, maybe thats why I prefer LA to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:57 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I'm still not sure what the point of this line of conversation is. If you go to a bar in a smaller city like Cleveland or Detroit, the great majority of the people you meet there will have grown up within an hour's drive of that particular bar. I don't think it's disputed that New York is more cosmopolitan than Chicago, but there are even certain areas in New York where the great majority of people are from the northeast, and perhaps a majority from three states: NY, NJ, and CT.

This crazy notiion that white college-educated people from the midwest are an unfriendly bunch is just beyond ridiculous.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:08 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
This part is definitely true. Black neighborhoods are invariably more friendly than white neighborhoods, nationwide. Blacks in Chicago are still a bit country, and roots in the South (esp. Delta region), and people make eye contact, smile, and "Good Morning" to your neighbors.

If you pulled that crap in Lincoln Park your neighbors would probably call 911.
I think you're confusing an outward, extroverted friendliness with genuine friendliness, and by explicitly assigning this to race you are being quite racist. There are clearly some cultural differences between typical Chicago black and white neighborhoods, and the social norms of how strangers are addressed in public. But to say that people in white, middle-to-upper class neighborhoods are somehow meaner people is simply not true in any way.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 AM

409 posts, read 587,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This crazy notiion that white college-educated people from the midwest are an unfriendly bunch is just beyond ridiculous.
I think they're more standoffish than in other parts of the country. Certainly more so than in the South, which is overtly friendly, and the Northeast, which is in-your-face.

There's a coldness to places like Lincoln Park, IMO. You see it when you open doors for someone, or glance at someone. They reflexively avert their gaze, usually (I'm talking men and women).

Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Yeah, that's my impression. I don't personally think "laid back" automatically equals "friendly", but know that a lot of people might think that way at a superficial level.

On that front, Chicago certainly isn't a laid back city. This is a pretty nose-to-the-grindstone-type of place with a "Work hard, play hard" attitude. Obviously, this is just a mass generalization (as you'll find every type of person in a metro area of 9 million people), but our overall culture is going to feel fast paced compared to virtually every other city in the country outside of the Boston/NYC/DC corridor (and for many people, a slower pace is inherently perceived to be more "friendly", although I'd personally disagree).
While I agree that "laid back" isn't necessarily synonymous with "friendly", I don't see anything "superficial" about the presumed association.

If you google the definition of laid back, here are the synonyms:

laid-back

adjectiveinformal

relaxed and easygoing.

"a shaggy dog with an engaging, laid-back temperament"
synonyms: relaxed, easygoing, free and easy, casual, nonchalant, unexcitable, imperturbable, unruffled, blasé, cool, equable, even-tempered, nonconfrontational, low-maintenance, insouciant, calm, unperturbed, unflustered, unflappable, unworried, unconcerned, unbothered; leisurely, unhurried, Type-B; stoical, phlegmatic, tolerant

"you must try to be more laid-back"

The opposite of many of these (especially non-confrontational) is hostile. Being "perturbed", etc. is equivalent to possibly even violent.

These synonyms listed are actually necessary for a better functioning world. There's nothing superficial about these.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
While I agree that "laid back" isn't necessarily synonymous with "friendly", I don't see anything "superficial" about the presumed association.

If you google the definition of laid back, here are the synonyms:

laid-back

adjectiveinformal

relaxed and easygoing.

"a shaggy dog with an engaging, laid-back temperament"
synonyms: relaxed, easygoing, free and easy, casual, nonchalant, unexcitable, imperturbable, unruffled, blasé, cool, equable, even-tempered, nonconfrontational, low-maintenance, insouciant, calm, unperturbed, unflustered, unflappable, unworried, unconcerned, unbothered; leisurely, unhurried, Type-B; stoical, phlegmatic, tolerant

"you must try to be more laid-back"

The opposite of many of these (especially non-confrontational) is hostile. Being "perturbed", etc. is equivalent to possibly even violent.

These synonyms listed are actually necessary for a better functioning world. There's nothing superficial about these.
I agree.

I think I have become more laid back since leaving Chicago. It's like osmosis. You adapt to your environment.

I like to get things done when it's time to get them done. I give straight talk and expect the same in return. (That was a problem in the south) there again not everyone deserves my energy. I don't like the chip on the shoulder bad boy on the block I'm gonna beat you up types. That's not civil.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM

596 posts, read 820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree.

I think I have become more laid back since leaving Chicago. It's like osmosis. You adapt to your environment.

I like to get things done when it's time to get them done. I give straight talk and expect the same in return. (That was a problem in the south) there again not everyone deserves my energy. I don't like the chip on the shoulder bad boy on the block I'm gonna beat you up types. That's not civil.
If you are still like that passed your mid-twenties, its sad. These types of people usually don't amount to much in society because they have not matured. They are not perceived as "intelligent" or "respectful" by much of society.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
If you are still like that passed your mid-twenties, its sad. These types of people usually don't amount to much in society because they have not matured. They are not perceived as "intelligent" or "respectful" by much of society.
I was standing outside a restaurant with a (white) friend while he smoked a cigarette and another white guy walked past him and asked for a cigarette he said no and he wasn't in the business selling cigarettes, the guy called him white trash and that he was a b. I'm glad my friend took the high road because that could have gotten ugly.

That wasn't civil. That wasn't very smart. You can use the excuse that the guy was drunk but drunken frat boy syndrome doesn't give you an excuse for stupidity.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I was standing outside a restaurant with a (white) friend while he smoked a cigarette and another white guy walked past him and asked for a cigarette he said no and he wasn't in the business selling cigarettes, the guy called him white trash and that he was a b. I'm glad my friend took the high road because that could have gotten ugly.

That wasn't civil. That wasn't very smart. You can use the excuse that the guy was drunk but drunken frat boy syndrome doesn't give you an excuse for stupidity.
That's dumb - people get edgy when they drink and smoke. I have a friend who denies everyone who asks him for a cigarette LOL but nobody's ever gotten angry at him. Guess he's lucky?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
I was walking up the street smoking and some guy asked for a cig, I said no, and he didn't want to take no for an answer, I said they're $10 a pack, and then he starts telling me where to get them for $8 a pack, as if the $2 difference is the issue, I wish now I had replied, if they're so cheap go buy your own pack! I hate when people insist you give them a cig, this guy was getting very angry about it like I was obliged to give him one. My standard response now is "This was my last one"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago