Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Given there many times more murders in Chicago annually than deaths from car accidents, I find this statement absurd.

Your car is a heck of a lot safer place than many streets in the city. Try most of the South and West Sides.
You're absolutely right, I should qualify that statement:

If you visit Chicago and are a gang member or immerse yourself in the drug trade, then you run a higher risk of becoming a victim of homicide than the average tourist. If, however, like the vast majority of tourists, you avoid conflict with gang members and the drug markets, you run a very low risk of physical harm, and in fact have a statistically higher risk of injury or death during you transit by automobile to and from Chicago.

I was going under the assumption that the OP wasn't a drug dealer, drug buyer, or a gang member. But perhaps I should not automatically assume that.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 05-05-2014 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Given there many times more murders in Chicago annually than deaths from car accidents, I find this statement absurd.

Your car is a heck of a lot safer place than many streets in the city. Try most of the South and West Sides.
As others have said, homicides in Chicago are concentrated in very specific areas that no tourist is going to be visiting. It's also important to note that if you aren't male, between the ages of 15 and 25, and African American or Hispanic, then your odds of being a homicide victim are incredibly low (in most years about 90-95% of homicide victims fit those demographics).

Another thing to remember about traffic deaths is that Chicago has far fewer deaths per capita than the rest of the state. Mostly because Chicago residents drive far fewer miles than the state average, and average speeds on city streets are much lower.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Go eat sushi at Marianos.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM

300 posts, read 639,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Bluegrassfever:

This Chicago crime hysteria in the national media is turning grown adults in to boogeyman-fearing wusses. Spend a day walking around the only areas of Chicago that tourists even consider visiting, and you'll really feel silly about the title of your post.

Then again, I managed to live and work within the city limits of Chicago for well over a decade without getting mugged or shot. So you should be fine leaving your cheesy River North hotel to go to the damn Giordano's with all of the other tourists from Iowa City.

So....You wouldn't want a tourist visiting the Garfield Park Conservatory or the Pullman area just because its high crime?

You guys always complain about how divided the city is then your discourage tourist from visiting all parts of the city. Let them see the ugly truth that Chicago is not all glass skyscrapers and fancy cafes..

Old 05-07-2014, 08:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
So....You wouldn't want a tourist visiting the Garfield Park Conservatory or the Pullman area just because its high crime?

You guys always complain about how divided the city is then your discourage tourist from visiting all parts of the city. Let them see the ugly truth that Chicago is not all glass skyscrapers and fancy cafes..
No, I would not recommend the Garfield Park Conservatory to this bedwetter. Others, sure.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:

What's wrong with Garfield Park Conservatory? I take visitors there all the time, they love it. It's so beautiful in there.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:

Both are great - but you're out of your mind if you think 99.5% of tourists want to go to a high crime area (Garfield Park Conservatory is an example of an exception, of course). Very very few tourists do that just to see what it's like on the streets of a bad neighborhood. Most tourists, no matter what city around the world it is, want to experience an area where they don't have to worry about much crime even if they want to experience a place popular with the locals.

I don't think you get the point of tourism if you think that sending someone to Englewood for the hell of it is something that almost any tourist would want to do.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Well, men grabbed my A$$ much more often in Tokyo than in Chicago. I am serious. It happened to me multiple times on the subway/escalators leaving the subway in Tokyo. Those Japanese businessmen... I would turn around and they would be staring off into the distance, whistling....

So I'd say it's more dangerous for a woman in Tokyo. No strangers have ever grabbed my A$$ in Chicago.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 05-09-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Women in Chicago would file an assault charge!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:09 PM

27 posts, read 38,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I just don't want to go to Chicago and leave in a body-bag is all!

I think Chicago is more dangerous than Detroit and Flint, Michigan combined! (Maybe "stats" will prove this to cynically-minded people?)

I do appreciate everyone's two cents on the matter. Please keep tips and pointers coming.

Thanks.....
The media overhypes the violence here. You'll be fine. Welcome to the Windy City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago