Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:42 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times

Advertisements

Ouch. Gallup just posted this pole. 50% said they would leave.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

PRINCETON, NJ -- Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would like to do so. Maryland is a close third, at 47%. By contrast, in Montana, Hawaii, and Maine, just 23% say they would like to relocate. Nearly as few -- 24% -- feel this way in Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas.

These findings are from a 50-state Gallup poll, conducted June-December 2013, which includes at least 600 representative interviews with residents aged 18 and older in each state. Gallup measured residents' interest in moving out of state by asking, "Regardless of whether you will move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?"

Thirty-three percent of residents want to move to another state, according to the average of the 50 state responses. Seventeen states come close to that 50-state average. Another 16 are above the average range, including three showing an especially high desire to move. In fact, in these three -- Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland -- roughly as many residents want to leave as want to stay.

At the other end of the spectrum, 17 states are home to a below-average percentage of residents wanting to leave. This includes the previously mentioned six states -- Montana, Hawaii, Maine, Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas -- where fewer than one in four want to move, the lowest level recorded. The detailed results for all 50 states are shown on page 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
This was posted in another sub forum but consider this - pretty much 1 in every 4 members of any given state, in the least, in our country want to move elsewhere. That's pretty drastic. I think by and large, cities like Chicago, NYC, and LA are pretty transient cities. People always come and go in them and have for a long time.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 23,531 times
If I lived anywhere in Illinois outside of Chicago, I would too What would be more interesting is a poll among only those living within official city limits among the top 50 (or less) cities.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This was posted in another sub forum but consider this - pretty much 1 in every 4 members of any given state, in the least, in our country want to move elsewhere. That's pretty drastic. I think by and large, cities like Chicago, NYC, and LA are pretty transient cities. People always come and go in them and have for a long time.
I did not think about it that way. Why do you think a minimum of 25% of people want to move away from where they are at?

Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
I did not think about it that way. Why do you think a minimum of 25% of people want to move away from where they are at?
America is a transient country and has been for a long time. Coupled with the idea of the "geographic cure" (i.e. moving will solve one's problems), and you have a population where, at best, 23% of residents want to move to another state if they could.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
I'm not surprised after the winter we had.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
It's an approximation, but the lowest percentage state was 23%, which is close to 1 in 4 people, at the minimum. That's what the poll is measuring. Think about it - the state where people want to move away the least is still almost 1 in 4 people.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 PM

23 posts, read 39,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, but how significant is 25% vs 50% in this instance?

Old 05-02-2014, 05:24 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaGONER View Post
Yes, but how significant is 25% vs 50% in this instance?
According the poll it is the difference between 150 and 300 people, since a total of 600 people were asked.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 PM

Yes, the difference is 150 versus 300 people.

Polls are always an interesting topic too - sometimes they're pretty accurate and sometimes they miss the mark. At least the people who make the polls try and cover as many people as they can in an important way. These types of polls are a bit more hit or miss than political type of polls in the end. Political polls are a bit easier I think - this one has a lot more different types of people that may have differing opinions I think. 50% is high, but again big cities are always transient places. I've known a large handful of people to leave Chicago while I"ve been here, but I've also known just as many if not more people who have moved to the city after them. And it's just one giant cycle that's no different than a city like NYC, for example, in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago