Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times

Advertisements

I will soon be moving to the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area and am just curious as to how long the commute to the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast area is-- Basically, is it something that I will dread and not want to do unless I have to?

Also--I am assuming the L is for the most part safe, even at night if you have to take it for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I guess it depends on what part of Lakeview or Lincoln Park you'd be traveling from. If you're traveling from, say, the Armitage stop, it would be about 15 minutes or less. From the Sheridan stop at the north end of Lakeview, double that time -- better yet, make it 40 or 45 minutes until they get done with station upgrades in spring of 2009, after which it should drop to about 25-30 minutes. The L lines through the North side are usually pretty safe any time of day since there are usually at least a few people on them; but as always, keep an awareness of your surroundings late at night.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Remember to stand away from the doors when you're on thee train or when the train is entering a station. As much as possible, keep a wall behind you so you are aware of anyone approaching you. Do not be overloaded with packages. It is also a good thing to stay aware -- don't sleep on the el or be under the influence. That's not the way to protect yourself. Women should not carry shoulder strap pocketbooks so that the bag is to the rear. I have seen thieves reach in as the doors are closing (on the el or on the bus) and snatch the bag.

Don't dawdle -- walk quickly as if you have to be somewhere. Stare scary folks in the eye. Please don't use force against that person who is scaring you -- it just might be an undercover cop! Be safe but don't dread the el.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
I fall asleep on the el every day I come home from work. If its midnight and you're riding it, then yes, its better to stay awake.

Other than that, I put my wallet on my inside coat pocket during the winter, or a front pocket with my hand in it in the summer. I've never had any problems.

Be smart, but its not like riding the el is like playing roulette with your belongings.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 AM

356 posts, read 542,478 times
inside pocket ,huh? which car do you sit in? and what do you look like?
(lol)

Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
It's important to be aware, but don't let Manigault scare you too much.

But yes, if you're drunk, take a cab. It's worth it.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Licoln Park and Lakeview are large areas with lots of commuting options depending on your location within each neighborhood. You're commute could be anything from 15 minutes to an hour depending on where you live and where you're going downtown.

Keep in mind that express buses are a good option if you live close to Lakeshore Drive. I currently live near Irving Park Road and work in River North, so I have the option of taking the Red Line from Sheridan or taking one of the many express buses that go express at Irving Park. My commute can be 25 minutes if LSD is moving quickly, but is usually 40 minutes on the Red Line or bus. These are door-to-door times, of course. You won't spend 40 minutes on the train unless it's a really bad day! If I drive, I can be downtown in about 15 minutes, but parking is REALLY expensive in River North.

And don't fall asleep on the train if you can help it. The Red Line connects some really nice neighborhoods with some of the worst, so you never know who you'll find on that train. During rush hour it is packed with downtown workers, but you do need to keep your eyes open. My wife was pick-pocketed on the Red Line a few years ago during rush hour, so it does happen (someone went into her bag without her noticing and grabbed her wallet).

Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It's important to be aware, but don't let Manigault scare you too much.

But yes, if you're drunk, take a cab. It's worth it.
If it's after midnight, I usually always take a cab unless I have friends with me. Before midnight I have no problem riding the L.

Then again, who knew cabs could be scary too?: Chicago News, Events and Culture | Chi-Town Daily News | Woman reports being raped by cab driver (http://www.chitowndailynews.org/Chicago+news/2007/12/10/Woman_reports_being_raped_by_cab_driver - broken link)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
I wasn't trying to scare anyone -- I gave some helpful hints! Folks from out of town don't always have their moves down when they are using public trans. And it is true; many of the grubby people you see are undercover cops.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFenogl View Post
I will soon be moving to the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area and am just curious as to how long the commute to the Michigan Avenue/Gold Coast area is-- Basically, is it something that I will dread and not want to do unless I have to?

Also--I am assuming the L is for the most part safe, even at night if you have to take it for whatever reason.
As Drover mentioned, it depends on where in Lincoln Park to where on Michigan. You can check out travel maps at Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA. They will give you a time estimate, but it is an underestimate with all of the construction. I've taken the el many many times at night by myself with no problems. If you are warry, just sit in the first car where the el driver is, or take a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago