Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

Armitage and Western is not ghetto at all - it's quite nice. It's also not HP, but a corner of Logan Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 PM

24 posts, read 31,793 times
I would stay away from Humboldt Park at all costs.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Nonsense. The park itself is fine during the day and there are plenty of restaurants around California/Division.

It is a shame that Knockbox lost its lease though.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash093 View Post
I would stay away from Humboldt Park at all costs.
Why?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
The area around Augusta/Chicago between Western and California is up and coming for sure.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
I believe for now, just the part south and east of the park are good but I'd only move there as a young adult, probably not with kids.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I used to live in East Humboldt Park near North and California. Some pros and cons:

Pros:
-THE PARK!! Especially if you have a dog or are a jogger. I used to love just lounging at the little mini-"beach" during the summer.
-More commerce along North Ave. As of late, it seems like more restaurants and bars are popping up along North Ave east of Kedzie. Not as sure as the same area along Division.
-Close enough to the blue line walk but without the added costs of living right off the blue line like in Wicker Park or Logan Sq. Also close enough to Wicker Park to stagger home.

Cons:
-Parking around that area can get crazy during summer events in the park, such as the Puerto Rican festival/carnival or Riot Fest.
-As mentioned, it's not the quietest or cleanest of neighborhoods. I don't recall it ever being filthy, but you will come across quite a few Cheetos bags blowing in the wind.
-Outside of Cermak Produce, a couple of Aldis, some other carcineria-type stores, you don't have many options for food shopping until you go east to Ashland.
-The North Ave bus is crazy during the summer due to it extended its route to North Ave beach during this time. If you plan on using this bus a lot, heads up.

I feel like there are more pros than the ones I've listed here, but they are a bit more specific and may not apply to your case (for example, Humboldt Park- the park- has a ton of playgrounds where there always families hanging out, but it doesn't seem like kids are involved in your situation). I personally wasn't worried too much about crime, but keep in mind that I'm a female and I have lived in rough areas in the past. I think if you're a black or Hispanic male, you may be misidentified as a gang member, but chances are slim anything will come of that. Basic street smarts will take you far.
Thanks, why did you leave if you dont mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: