Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

In my 5 years in Chicago - I think it's gotten better downtown though there's still people there panhandling. When I first moved here, there would be people sometimes even pan handling near Rush & Oak. 4 summers ago I used to come out of Le Colonial and have a few guys try and give me a shoe shine and other guys rap for money to me. One guy near Rush and Delaware back then told me to commit suicide because I didn't give him money.

I haven't seen that for about 3 years - none in that area at all, but in the Loop during work hours in some spots it's still annoying, though I've seen a decline in the number of panhandlers there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

221 posts, read 322,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In my 5 years in Chicago - I think it's gotten better downtown though there's still people there panhandling. When I first moved here, there would be people sometimes even pan handling near Rush & Oak. 4 summers ago I used to come out of Le Colonial and have a few guys try and give me a shoe shine and other guys rap for money to me. One guy near Rush and Delaware back then told me to commit suicide because I didn't give him money.

I haven't seen that for about 3 years - none in that area at all, but in the Loop during work hours in some spots it's still annoying, though I've seen a decline in the number of panhandlers there too.
I wonder if this actually happens more often in the nicer neighborhoods. I've seen some regular panhandlers in Lincoln Park and also in Hyde Park. It would make sense for them to go where there's more money.

According to this article they can make $80-100k. That's unbelievable.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
The merits of relative stability/sanity aside, Vancouver was the worst city I've been in for sheer numbers of street people, it was ridiculous.
You've got to remember that Vancouver and San Francisco are both ridiculously expensive, which would at least partially explain the problem...

Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You've got to remember that Vancouver and San Francisco are both ridiculously expensive, which would at least partially explain the problem...
Its also a lot easier to be naked and crazy in those two cities compared to Chicago, due to the climate.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM

23 posts, read 27,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
i love only driving my car once or twice a month but i absolutely need it
what? so rent a zip-car 1-2 times a month.... I'm sure it would be much cheaper than depreciation, parking, gas, insurance, property tax, repairs.... etc... etc... etc...

Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
Common panhandle scam, esp. near Metra station - "Our car broke down, so we just need $5 for the train to get home", posing as mother and children. Sounds so legit, until you hear it the 3rd, 4th, 5th time.

Common theft- 2 person team, one to distract/bump, the other to grab your loot. Common in revolving doors, subway doors. Also, snatch-and-run ladies purse from floor/chair in restaurant. Not sure how to prevent that one.

Aggressive panhandler in fringe area: blocks your path, says "I'm not here to hurt nobody, not kill nobody, just need ..." My reply- "Darn right you're not, with that cop over there." Works best if cop actually is over there.

A native Chicagoan once told me that in a seriously dangerous situation, eg. armed attack/abduction, tactic of last resort (if you can't escape) is pull down your pants (if you're a guy) and yell and scream like a crazy person. Theory being armed attackers prefer not to mess with a mentally ill person.

Last edited by 5thgencincy; 05-20-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Lived without a car in Chicago for 15 years now. Never had a problem getting a job, dating, anything. I do rent cars occasionally, but as far as *owning* a car - absolutely optional here unless your job requires one.
Zipcar.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
I wonder if this actually happens more often in the nicer neighborhoods. I've seen some regular panhandlers in Lincoln Park and also in Hyde Park. It would make sense for them to go where there's more money.

According to this article they can make $80-100k. That's unbelievable.
Geez. Maybe I should take up panhandling.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Aggressive panhandler in fringe area: blocks your path, says "I'm not here to hurt nobody, not kill nobody, just need ..." My reply- "Darn right you're not, with that cop over there." Works best if cop actually is over there.
Yesterday afternoon a panhandler in front of the Jewel at Broadway/Addison rather aggressively shoved his styrofoam cup in my path while I was walking by. I went off on him and started yelling about his being too aggressive and that I was going to call the cops.

His reply: "Are you a stool pigeon?"

Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
His reply: "Are you a stool pigeon?"
Haha, oh yeah now he's pissed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago