Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 AM

596 posts, read 820,812 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing because wealthy Chicago residents do not get as much press as wealthy Los Angeles or New York residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Oh have a drink already!

The hawks smashed the kings hours ago and I have a fridge full of nice craft beer...
Happy the Hawks won, although they were outplayed for much of the game...

Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's not even that - the OP is basically looking at people wearing cashmere sweaters (example) who drive BMWs and assume they aren't charitable and don't give a **** about anything. There's other stuff at play here too - just because you're in a sports bar at a particular moment doesn't mean you are always unsophisticated and it doesn't mean you're stupid either. I can't tell you how naive this is on so many levels for anywhere in the world.

Hey, Woody Allen (for instance) is a super-major sports nut and follower and yet he is the epitome of the ultra-cerebral intellectual. I am an ultra-cerebral intellectual and yet have no interest in sports of any type whatsoever (though I don't look down on it in any way; it just doesn't interest me or do anything for me personally) and yet I think Woody Allen is very cerebral, highly intelligent and a deep intellectual. He is but one of a multitude of examples which illustrate that a person can be majorly enamored of and preoccupied with the world of professional sports and yet be very sophisticated and highly intelligent.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
[quote=oak317;34857955
It could be that I recently graduated college and I'm having trouble adapting. I've made friends in Lakeview, Uptown, but not in Lincoln Park.[/QUOTE]

Good luck making friends with people you judge like this.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default All kinds of interesting stuff on the interwebs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Good luck making friends with people you judge like this.
Makes me think of this -- Narcissism And What's Underneath - Personality Disorders

Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 AM

221 posts, read 322,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Don't know where you're going with this, because this article holds no water. It puts the idea on the table that AL GORE is a narcissist for his warnings about climate change when, lo and behold, in 2014, we're seeing the effects of climate change, and a France-sized part of West Antarctica just broke off into the ocean.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
I've been reading up on their bios, and it seems that for most of these people, the donations aren't targeted at Chicago public schools or making the south side a safer place.

Don't you remember the voices we heard after the Sandy Hook school shooting, when people from the south side reminded us that the death of school-age children happens EVERY year in their neighborhoods?

I'm sure if something tragic like that happened in Chicago people would come out in droves. But do you really think philanthropists are going to sink money into a pit that is as mismanaged as the CPS? It's been a sinking ship for years and money isn't the problem, so throwing more money at it isn't the answer.

These people have donated millions of dollars to the park district, Northwestern University, University of Chicago, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, etc. They do a lot locally.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm sure if something tragic like that happened in Chicago people would come out in droves. But do you really think philanthropists are going to sink money into a pit that is as mismanaged as the CPS? It's been a sinking ship for years and money isn't the problem, so throwing more money at it isn't the answer.

These people have donated millions of dollars to the park district, Northwestern University, University of Chicago, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, etc. They do a lot locally.
I think it has less to do with donating money, and more to do with starting a dialogue, particularly a dialogue about this around the time of elections.

Getting politicians to make promises about improving crime in the city, and rehabilitating certain neighborhoods. The same way that NYC cried out about housing inequality and now Bill de Blasio is bending over backwards to provide safe, affordable housing.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
These people do donate a lot and do start dialogues. Perhaps you aren't as educated about the city as you think you are.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
These people do donate a lot and do start dialogues. Perhaps you aren't as educated about the city as you think you are.
I'll be the first to admit that.

I regret the emotional thread-starter that I created since I was merely in a bad mood. I should have worded it this way... 'There's a problem in Chicago with crime and the quality of public schools. Does anyone know of any ongoing efforts to deal with these issues?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago