Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 AM

298 posts, read 579,366 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling (flying) more this coming fall and I am interested in best ways to get the best airfares from O'Hare. The typical internet sites (Kayak, Orbitz, CheapAir, etc) all seem to drum up the same numbers. Am I missing something? Are there better internet sites or does the old fashioned travel agency still exist? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,189 times
If you are flying domestically, you shouldn't rule out flying Southwest out of Midway. Midway is a much nicer airport than O'Hare is.

In regards to the cheap flights, check early and often.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:37 AM

498 posts, read 724,008 times
Yeah, you have to keep in mind that Southwest won't be listed on sites like Kayak. You have to actually go to Southwest.com and look it up. If it's a little more expensive on SW, I always go that route because I get the equivalent of like 10% back in their RapidRewards points, and their cancellation policy is very generous.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM

741 posts, read 763,875 times
I have never, ever, found one of the online travel agents (Orbitz, etc.) which has offered a fare lower than what I've been able to purchase a ticket for on the website of an airline. Frequently, the fares on the airline websites are less cost than the online travel agents, because they don't share those prices with the online agencies - they're available only at the airline website itself. I use some of those online travel agent sites to locate fares generally, then book with the airline directly.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 PM

298 posts, read 579,366 times
Ok that's good to know. I have flown southwest and will look at options out of midway…

Those online sites are crap.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
I have never, ever, found one of the online travel agents (Orbitz, etc.) which has offered a fare lower than what I've been able to purchase a ticket for on the website of an airline.
Really depends on the airline, your luck, and what not. I've learned you should never rule out these deal sites even if you think this. My experience with that came last year. Turkish Airlines has a round trip deal to Istanbul every year from O'Hare for only $525 after tax. Usually for January through early March and I have used it before. I was looking for late March departures with mid April arrival for the same flight, but couldn't find it on Turkishairlines.com. Regular fare really at $1000+. I actually found one for exactly one day that Orbitz.com had that Turkishairlines.com didn't even have listed on their site.

Anyway for the OP, I agree with others that if they're flying domestically to not rule out Midway. However, airlines are very competitive with price no matter which airport it's going out of. I've flown a few times between O'Hare and Des Moines for $420 round trip. Last year, Southwest started flying to Des Moines out of Midway for $200. United and American quickly dropped the same flight to $200 out of O'Hare at the same time due to competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago