Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:38 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,184,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I do know a handful of folks that have transitioned from "vacation home owners" to "full time residents" and the crowds on weekends can be a negative. Even in the "transition phase" where they may have been sort of winding down their Chicago area based business presence it was not much fun to have to deal with the wait for a table at a local resturant. A few have migrated further up the coast to St. Joe or Grand Haven specifically becuase there is fewer weekenders. If you are into sailing / power boats those are real factors to consider...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
especially when there is road construction for miles (i think there is road construction right now right there.)
I know someone who commutes from that area of Michigan, who lives there. not nice when he wants to visit his neighborhood diner when all the tourists are there, he has to wait 2 hours for a seat when the tourists are there. thats the only bad thing.
I'd love to live in that area though . maybe one day i will. I would just go to the diners when there is less traffic.
Main Street in New Buffalo is about 2 blocks and there are more restaurants on Red Arrow Hwy going
north. They do get very crowded during the summer (boating) and personally I don't understand the
long waits at Redamak's (mediocre burgers). Going further north there are other towns like St. Joseph
Douglas, Saugatuck and South Haven.
SW Michigan is a lovely area but I couldn't see commuting especially during snow season. Benton Harbor
and St. Jo had a really difficult winter this year and last years was also hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,386,394 times
I think that commuting would be more of an option if you had a 2nd crash pad actually in Chicago, don't you think? That way for times with rough weather (ie. winter), you could utilize the Chicago crash pad instead of trekking it all the way back to SW Michigan. Might not be a feasible option for a family with kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Main Street in New Buffalo is about 2 blocks and there are more restaurants on Red Arrow Hwy going
north. They do get very crowded during the summer (boating) and personally I don't understand the
long waits at Redamak's (mediocre burgers). Going further north there are other towns like St. Joseph
Douglas, Saugatuck and South Haven.
SW Michigan is a lovely area but I couldn't see commuting especially during snow season. Benton Harbor
and St. Jo had a really difficult winter this year and last years was also hard.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,184,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCandKT View Post
4 hours daily... when you put it like that... eek!
I think I'll be able to work from home a couple of days a week, or at least at another office (Merrillville or South Bend).
Lots to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I think that commuting would be more of an option if you had a 2nd crash pad actually in Chicago, don't you think? That way for times with rough weather (ie. winter), you could utilize the Chicago crash pad instead of trekking it all the way back to SW Michigan. Might not be a feasible option for a family with kids.
If the OP has the chance to work from South Bend, that would be a better option than to get a
2nd crash pad. Also, financially and since her husband will be starting a new business, South Bend
and Merriville is only about 40 miles away. It would take us about 35 minutes to get to New Buffalo
and save the OP money and put it in his new business.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 AM

298 posts, read 576,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post

Finally, the schools may not be the highest scoring, but New Buffalo is a frequent "school of choice" for kids who live outside the district. Due to the 4 winds, lots of $$ has gone into the facility, they have a brand new gym/weight room, are completely redoing their outdoor track and field with the same astro turf that Notre Dame is getting. PLUS…each graduate gets $5,000 for each year of college, up to five years. So, great facilities, great $$ source, and up to $25,000 in free money for college make the schools a choice for engaged parents.
Sorry to resurrect this thread as the OP has most likely made her decision regarding commutes. However, I thought it would be worth spreading some recently revealed FACTS about New Buffalo High School.

Specifically:

"The High School was one of the highest ranked in Michigan, with a 98th percentile rating for performance that left just five high schools in the entire state ahead of it (none in Berrien County), and just one of those a public institution (East Grand Rapids). NBHS was ranked number 32 out of more than 3,300 schools at all levels in Michigan.

Harbor Country News > News > New Buffalo High School in ?rare air? on state Scorecard

Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread as the OP has most likely made her decision regarding commutes. However, I thought it would be worth spreading some recently revealed FACTS about New Buffalo High School.

Specifically:

"The High School was one of the highest ranked in Michigan, with a 98th percentile rating for performance that left just five high schools in the entire state ahead of it (none in Berrien County), and just one of those a public institution (East Grand Rapids). NBHS was ranked number 32 out of more than 3,300 schools at all levels in Michigan.

Harbor Country News > News > New Buffalo High School in ?rare air? on state Scorecard
I read Harbor County News whenever I am in SW Michigan and I don't doubt that they wanted to find something to brag about but the facts show that New Buffalo High is a TINY school with very poor options for the those hoping to be well prepared for college.

Michigan made some really boneheaded decisions about its schools about a decade or two ago and that has hurt all the schools. The "achievement tests" that Michigan cooked up to administer all students are along the same useless lines as Illinois' state mandated tests for elementary schools -- essentially worthless.

The simply fact is that even if one looks at most highly rated public schools in Michigan and uses a national yardstick to rank them the schools in New Buffalo are not desirable -- New Buffalo Senior High School in NEW BUFFALO, MI | Best High Schools | US News

Michigan Schools - The Washington Post

http://www.newsweek.com/2013/05/06/a...h-schools.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago