Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,149 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'll be in Chicago for business (first time there) and will have about 2-3 hours to kill. Looking for a good place to grab a few drinks and something authentically "Chicago" to eat. I'll be flying into O'Hare and have to spend some time in Rosemont then I have a few hours before my flight back - it looks like I can just take the El right in to the downtown? Approximately how long does that take? And what actually counts as Chicago's downtown/CBD? I'm from Philly originally and very familiar with New York so I'm basically looking for Chicago's Rittenhouse Square / Midtown - I assume the Loop is the equivalent?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:35 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
it takes at least 40 minutes of actual train travel time to get from Rosemont to the Loop. Wicker Park is slightly closer, and pretty interesting, but with only 2-3 hours to kill you'd still be cutting things close. If you have 3 hours, it would be tight but might be worth the trip. If you only have 2 hours, I don't think it'd be worth the risk. are you able to pin down how much time you actually have, starting from the actual Rosemont CTA Blue Line station?

Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
It will be real tight time wise to go into the city.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Sorry I should have clarified - I was taking travel into account, I figured the El was 40/50 minutes based on some quick googling but wanted to ask here to confirm. So I'll have ~3 hours in addition to that.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
ok, what kind of food do you want? Things like pizza and hot dogs and italian beef, or fine dining, or some sort of ethnic food they don't have in your normal areas?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Need more details...

In additions to questions about you might like to eat it would helpful to know what time of day you'll land and what day of the week this stop over is scheduled for, as well as where the next leg of your trip will be -- not real smart to try and get taco if you are headed to LA or something...

Frankly the few times when I have had an extended stopover in even intersting towns like NY it is not worth the stress of watching the clock to leave the airport. The extended stopovers often occur for longer flight to less popular destinations and the last think I would want to do is miss a flight in the current airline environment...

Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
ok, what kind of food do you want? Things like pizza and hot dogs and italian beef, or fine dining, or some sort of ethnic food they don't have in your normal areas?
Yeah I think pizza would be my first choice followed by Italian beef. Something good and local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In additions to questions about you might like to eat it would helpful to know what time of day you'll land and what day of the week this stop over is scheduled for, as well as where the next leg of your trip will be -- not real smart to try and get taco if you are headed to LA or something...

Frankly the few times when I have had an extended stopover in even intersting towns like NY it is not worth the stress of watching the clock to leave the airport. The extended stopovers often occur for longer flight to less popular destinations and the last think I would want to do is miss a flight in the current airline environment...
I'll be free on a Friday at about noon. I'm headed back to Philly after so just looking for something nice and local to try.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,875 times
You could take the Blue Line to the Damen stop (Wicker Park neighborhood) and walk from there to the nearby Lou Malnati's for some Chicago style pizza. There's also a number of places near the intersection for shopping, drinking, walking around.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Not a bad idea at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You could take the Blue Line to the Damen stop (Wicker Park neighborhood) and walk from there to the nearby Lou Malnati's for some Chicago style pizza. There's also a number of places near the intersection for shopping, drinking, walking around.
Wicker Park is hardly the "birthplace" of Chiago style deep dish (for that I'd head to the original Uno's or the more unique but owned by the same group, Due's) but Wicker Park leaves you a little more direct access to the Blue line so pressure to get back to the airport is less.

There are lots of interesting resturants in Wicker Park and frankly a deep dish pizza is better if you have about four or more folks to all dig-in, the balance of crust to cheese to sauage is best in the larger pies....

A nice Italian beef sandwich is great option when you are by yourself. There is a place in Wicker Park called Jay's that is OK but if you ride the El a couple stops down and then walk (assuming you don't have any bags) over to Mr. Beef on Orleans in River North it is a higher quality product and a more uniquely Chicago experience as the "dining room" is just a couple of room long picnic tables. From River North you will have a longer trip back to O'Hare and much of River North has a touristy feel but with only 2-3 hours I don't think I would venture over to Al's Beef on Taylor which is still an axcellent standard bearer...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-29-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 AM

216 posts, read 314,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A nice Italian beef sandwich is great option when you are by yourself. There is a place in Wicker Park called Jay's that is OK but if you ride the El a couple stops down and then walk (assuming you don't have any bags) over to Mr. Beef on Orleans in River North it is a higher quality product and a more uniquely Chicago experience as the "dining room" is just a couple of room long picnic tables. From River North you will have a longer trip back to O'Hare and much of River North has a touristy feel but with only 2-3 hours I don't think I would venture over to Al's Beef on Taylor which is still an axcellent standard bearer...
I agree that Al's Beef on Taylor is excellent. It's got a great combination of old school ambiance (because it really has been there for like 80 years) and the Al's dipped with hot peppers is a delicious sandwich. Mr Beef has the atmosphere but the sandwich isn't that great in my opinion.

OP if you have 3 hours plus travel time, you want to see the city, and you want to experience Chicago food, here's what I would do. Take the Blue Line to the Jackson Stop. This will put you downtown in the Loop which is the central business district. It will also put you next to Luke's on Jackson St, which is a classic Chicago-style fast food place. Nothing there is amazing but the hot dogs, beefs and gyros are solid. From the Jackson Stop you can walk a few blocks east to the lakefront to enjoy a skyline view, or a few blocks north to the river for a closer look at the downtown architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago