Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
It has a surprising lack of amenities for the home of such a large, important university.
Why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 04:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default There is a ancient tradition of folks that survive the harshest conditions being ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
....being most suited to for leadership. Spartan army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are big changes with the high profile Jeanne Gang working on a whole new dorm to attract folks accustomed to cushier surroundings -- University unveils new residence hall and dining commons | The University of Chicago

Old 06-06-2014, 05:34 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
it's common for good universities to be in boring, even borderline terrible areas.

New Haven is ghetto and sucks, Princeton is nice, but sucks, Brown is in... Providence, Cornell is in Albany, Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere, Penn abuts West Philadelphia, Columbia is in one of the dullest parts of Manhattan, Palo Alto is nice but there is nothing to do there, etc.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
it's common for good universities to be in boring, even borderline terrible areas.

New Haven is ghetto and sucks, Princeton is nice, but sucks, Brown is in... Providence, Cornell is in Albany, Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere, Penn abuts West Philadelphia, Columbia is in one of the dullest parts of Manhattan, Palo Alto is nice but there is nothing to do there, etc.
Cornell is in Ithaca.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Cornell is in Ithaca.
Ugh. Yeah, i was even thinking Ithaca but also thinking about the night I spent in Albany. Is there even a college in Albany? Why was I there? Thanks for the correction.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 AM

221 posts, read 322,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Two things Hyde Park needs - more nightlife (and I don't mean that it has to be raucous - just more options) and some more public transit options that run later at night between downtown and there. I have friends who live in Hyde Park, and when they want to go out to eat or drink, they NEVER stay in Hyde Park unless it's just to get something quick or have a really quick beer by themselves. I am a fan of Hyde Park, but these two things keep me from wanting to live there really.
There was a good post somewhere about how most college towns are boring. I think there's a reason for this The University of Chicago would probably object to having any more bars let alone clubs in the neighborhood, as it would distract from students' studies...

I agree with you about the public transit options. But I think when Hyde Parkers go out on Friday nights they're pretty much determined to take a cab back if they're leaving the neighborhood. That said, Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap is a really nice bar. There's just nothing remotely similar to a dance club...

Edit: Oh, that "good post" I mentioned was by rzzz.

Last edited by oak317; 06-08-2014 at 01:49 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 AM

221 posts, read 322,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoChicago View Post
With Harper Court, Akira, A10 et al 53rd St appears to have already reached critical mass. It's a huge change over what it was just a few years ago. City Hyde Park just to the north, which will be anchored by Whole Foods, will solidify the area even further.
City Hyde Park is a huge improvement over that ugly McDonald's which attracted all kinds of loiterers. Also, Whole Foods will be a much-desired alternative to Treasure Island.

It's astonishing to think about how many treasures Hyde Park has. From its neo-gothic quads to the modern South Campus buildings, to the Robie House and the Promontory Point and world-class museums...

Last edited by oak317; 06-08-2014 at 01:48 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 05:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Ugh. Yeah, i was even thinking Ithaca but also thinking about the night I spent in Albany. Is there even a college in Albany? Why was I there? Thanks for the correction.
THere are lots of colleges in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy capital area, includinf SUNY Albany, Siena, Rensaeleer Polytechnic Institute ( RPI), Union College (excellent school, and the NCAA Division 1 hockey champs), St. Rose, etc, etc.

BTW, Cornell's medical school is in NYC.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
BTW, Cornell's medical school is in NYC.
Yeah I know, in another life I used to work there.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Cornell is about four or five times as large as the U of C. There are bars around the campus in Ithaca and some nightspots in downtown Ithaca. Now, with two colleges (Ithaca and Cornell) and since I have attended college in Ithaca and Hyde Park, I gotta say that Hyde Park rivals Ithaca in restaurants and nightlife, at least per capita.

The biggest difference is that Ithaca is the entertainment center of Tompkins County. Hyde Park has the whole city as an alternative for recreation.

Is Hyde Park booming? There are about three times more restaurants than 20 years ago and some really high-toned places. The hotel complex is excellent. Transportation to downtown and beyond and within the village has actually improved. Is it boring? That is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago