Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
There was a good post somewhere about how most college towns are boring. I think there's a reason for this The University of Chicago would probably object to having any more bars let alone clubs in the neighborhood, as it would distract from students' studies...

I agree with you about the public transit options. But I think when Hyde Parkers go out on Friday nights they're pretty much determined to take a cab back if they're leaving the neighborhood. That said, Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap is a really nice bar. There's just nothing remotely similar to a dance club...

Edit: Oh, that "good post" I mentioned was by rzzz.
I wouldn't say most college towns are boring at all though yes some definitely are. I went to college in a college town and while it wasn't the most exciting thing ever like Chicago, NYC, Vegas, Miami, etc it still had plenty of entertainment options besides house parties. If you compared the town where I went to school in (population 50,000-60,000) versus Hyde Park and the immediate areas, the town that my college was in..in the middle of Iowa, would still beat Hyde Park and area even on food options. Hyde Park doesn't need dance clubs or anything - it just needs some more options in general. I look at an area like Ravenswood and Lincoln Square, which is a very responsible part of town but with enough bars and drinking options. Pretty family oriented in that area, but people do their extracurriculars there very responsibly.

I think Hyde Park is a beautiful part of town and I like the people there for sure, but I wouldn't live there unless I was tied down or most of my social circle was there. BUT I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it to succeed so it would become an option for me in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
First , Hyde Park is a 'Company town' , and any entertainment venues, bars, restaurants , or businesses of any consequence will have the 'seal of approval' from the University or they won't open. Period.
Some of the opposition and wariness to entertainment and 'nightlife' , which used to be MUCH worse, has an origin in the history of Hyde Park . The urban renewal effort that took place from the mid 1950s to early 1960s focused on two 'problem areas' ; an excessive number of taverns and bars , and what had become substandard housing. The bars were in a 'wet zone', that ran from 51st street and lake Park south to 55th Street , and over on 55th street pretty much to Ellis and Cottage Grove. The numbers I've read vary , but there were between 45-60 taverns or establishments that sold liquor. it was quite a lively strip, I'm told , and started to get 'ugly lively' after the war. The mindset heavily that scrutinized any liquor or entertainment continued well into the 70s and 80s, and exists in some form today .
The other factor is that there is 'competition' that's relatively accessible for the student entertainment dollar . It's a 'University town' in a large city that's not starved for providing nightlife . No matter what , Hyde Park will never seriously rival some of the 'entertainment' areas in the city . it's not in the middle of nowhere where all the nightlife needs to center around a campus .
The University is also just that; a University . The College numbers what now , 4500 Undergraduates out of 18000 students . Take 30% of that ( assumption of the percentage over the legal drinking age - no snickering) . I'm not saying that professional school and academic grad students don't like or need an occasional night out , but , there's a different focus .
The University and subsidiaries have been focused on the total 'quality of life' , and seem to be moving beyond the 'enclave' mentality. That's caused some interesting 'town versus gown' flavored debate, but when isn't there debate in that neighborhood?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 PM

221 posts, read 322,158 times
Thanks for the history snoylekim. I wonder whether late-night bars or dance clubs in Hyde Park might also attract gang members to the area. Might be another reason for limiting the nightlife in the neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:04 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Hyde Park did have a late night ( 0400) bar for many years ; Ciral's House of Tiki , or just 'the Tiki' . it's gone now . It did have an eclectic mix of students, on-and-off duty cops, neighborhood folks , and some people with 'a reputation' . Great Fish and Chips, 'Oh My God' Sauce , and ..Zombies ( the drink) . It did have the nickname among some of ' the Star Wars Tiki Bar'.

Will there be another ?? I think possibly , but a long shot . As far as a dance club , no way I see that making it through the gauntlet . i think some sort of entertainment complex was proposed a while ago by someone who thought he was 'connected'. He learned .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago