Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree, but I don't think people are taking it actually personally. However, the OP has stated that they've been in town for a month, work 80 hours per week, and haven't really gotten out into the city a lot other than their own neighborhood (which they do not like). This could be any city in the world and people would be responding the same way. It has to do with judging an entire city based on something that's a very small percentage. It's virtually the same thing as someone judging NYC based on Times Square and Midtown Manhattan. If the OP was here for 2 years, got out into a lot of neighborhoods, blah blah blah then I don't think people would care whether he liked it or not, but the difference is complaining about things after a month when they've really not gotten out to many places.

When people start posting that those who don't like Chicago can leave, and others chime in they did and are glad, then all reasoned discussion has gone out the window with people becoming irrational because they're taking it personally. It should tell you something that the moderator had to come in and issue a warning and delete posts.

I agree the o.p. should give it more time, get to know the city and find new friends, but in the end, he may still dislike living here, and that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,487 times
Thanks to all, particularly MPowerful and Boulevardofdef. I really appreciate your time and your words!

To the others: I had exactly 2 days to find housing in Chicago. No more, no less. I knew NOTHING about the city at that time; I could barely point it out on a map. The Chicago office of my consulting firm is located immediately south of the river (in "South River / The Loop"), so I bit the figurative bullet and signed a lease at the newest, most "baller"/amenity-loaded complex I could find that was within a reasonable walking distance of work--just so happened to be in Streeterville, the most awful "neighborhood" on the planet. Silly, yes. But, I didn't know anything about anything at the time.

I slipped this weekend and left for NYC (again...), where I write to you now. I spent a fantastic day catching up with friends over brunch at Smorgasboard, shopping at Macy's/Herald Square, going to Governor's Ball, and drinking at my favorite pub as I watched the Rangers tackle LA (so hetero) with a certain someone (<3'n finance). I really, really miss New York, no doubt about it. I'll be leaving Chicago as soon as my contract is up in May 2015. I'm signing onto another project in New York/Connecticut that summer. In the meanwhile, I'll spend more weekends in Chicago (I promise) and explore the city! No use in being miserable through the autumn and (hopefully mild) winter!

ILOVEFINANCE: nice meeting you tonight

Old 06-07-2014, 10:19 PM

221 posts, read 322,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I love NYC also and I would live there if I could plop my house down in the middle of Central Park, but not otherwise. I find it too claustrophobic for living and way too expensive.

I want to come back to Chicago so badly, but circumstances are unlikely to allow it. I found living in Chicago to be easy, laid back and fun especially in the summer months. I need to get a summer home up here.
I see you live in Houston. Do you prefer living in Chicago despite its bad winters? (Just curious to get the perspective of someone in a warmer state )

Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefinance View Post
I don't know HSW, but I'll say this: I got a sweet deal on a Mercedes Benz E550 sedan @ the Chicago MB dealership, as a buddy of mine was hooking up with one of the sales associates there. Put 800 miles on it the following week during the drive back to NY. There really is no other car brand worth driving.
This is wrong... in so many ways

Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
When people start posting that those who don't like Chicago can leave, and others chime in they did and are glad, then all reasoned discussion has gone out the window with people becoming irrational because they're taking it personally. It should tell you something that the moderator had to come in and issue a warning and delete posts.

I agree the o.p. should give it more time, get to know the city and find new friends, but in the end, he may still dislike living here, and that's okay.
I agree with you completely and there were only a few people actually posting stuff like "Whatever, it's better without you." Everyone else was in the midset of "wtf? You haven't even explored anything yet.." I specifically also posted a few times that nobody has to like any city, which is true, but one should actually learn the city first before complaining about it.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
I see you live in Houston. Do you prefer living in Chicago despite its bad winters? (Just curious to get the perspective of someone in a warmer state )
Absolutely.

Houston is hot and humid for 7 to 9 months of the year. I don't get outside to walk like I did in Chicago (I even walked in the snow and cold back then). The humidity gets me even more than the temperature.
I hate driving and Houston has almost no public transportation (my suburb has NONE at all and Houston itself has a toy train and some buses and no way to get into Houston from my suburb though there are other suburbs that have a park and ride).
My allergies are constant here as there is always something in bloom. In Chicago, my allergies were around for 2 to 3 months depending on the particular season.

While I don't *miss* shoveling snow and the real cold, I found that Chicago winters varied considerably. This past year was apparently really bad, but most years are not like that. I lived through the big snows in Chicago and did not find them too difficult except for the fact that the city of Evanston plowed up my alley and blocked in our cars that year.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
I'll have to agree with you on the car choice (I don't drive a Benz btw but I have driven my friend's dad's Benzes back in the day). The E-Class is definitely a fine driving machine. The unfortunate thing is that for us hoi polloi, it costs quite a bit to maintain and replace parts in the long run. Maybe I'll change my mind the day I decide to either splurge or am lucky enough to become a 1 percenter lol.

I know that you and the OP are getting quite a bit of flack on here, but I love NYC too. Like many other posters on here, I would hesitate to live in NYC unless I had the means to comfortably afford living in Manhattan (like $500K annual income & above type of thing) & maintain a high standard of living like you (ie. owning a Benz and keeping it in the city, etc.). Luckily I do have a couple really good friends there who I hang out with pretty much almost any time I'm out there. For me personally, Chicago is more home than NYC, but I do love the diversity, glamour & glitz of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefinance View Post
I'm a big fan of WSO. They love Chicago on that website, mostly because it's so cheap to live there.

9 times out of 10, I drive from the UES to CT. Takes no more than 45 minutes. On an off day (snowing, too hungover to drive, too much traffic because of holidays), I'll take Metro North. I prefer independent serenity over chaotic mass transit.

I don't know HSW, but I'll say this: I got a sweet deal on a Mercedes Benz E550 sedan @ the Chicago MB dealership, as a buddy of mine was hooking up with one of the sales associates there. Put 800 miles on it the following week during the drive back to NY. There really is no other car brand worth driving.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I'll have to agree with you on the car choice (I don't drive a Benz btw but I have driven my friend's dad's Benzes back in the day). The E-Class is definitely a fine driving machine. The unfortunate thing is that for us hoi polloi, it costs quite a bit to maintain and replace parts in the long run. Maybe I'll change my mind the day I decide to either splurge or am lucky enough to become a 1 percenter lol.

I know that you and the OP are getting quite a bit of flack on here, but I love NYC too. Like many other posters on here, I would hesitate to live in NYC unless I had the means to comfortably afford living in Manhattan (like $500K annual income & above type of thing) & maintain a high standard of living like you (ie. owning a Benz and keeping it in the city, etc.). Luckily I do have a couple really good friends there who I hang out with pretty much almost any time I'm out there. For me personally, Chicago is more home than NYC, but I do love the diversity, glamour & glitz of NYC.
Uh, no one makes $500K, that's like what the executive editor of the New York Times makes, and it's even more than the presidents of the New York Federal Reserve make.

You can get the glitz & glamour of NYC by living in Brooklyn. Plenty of people do it in Flatbush off $30-$40k salaries. I know one person who lives in Flatbush, and another who lives in Crown Heights, and they're both paying less than $800 in rent.

There are definitely ways to make NYC work if you have a steady job. You can have a "high" standard of living as long as that includes roommates and not owning a car. I have a car in Chicago and let me tell you I can't wait to get rid of it. I also live alone now and I might prefer having roommates for my next apartment.

I think you grossly overestimate the salary needed to live in NYC, since really all you need is roommates. Of course for that to happen you need to be social and have some people skills. Most people don't have sky-high expectations when it comes to standard of living. It's enough for most to live in a relatively safe area, with a roof over their heads, and have a reasonable commute, and to be saving some money after all is paid for.

Also, there's no special reason to live in Manhattan, when it's just a train ride away from Brooklyn. I know someone who lived in Manhattan with roommates and I think it cost him $1400. While it's a lot for rent it's not outrageous if you're looking at salaries $70k+.

Your post has an element of the absurd in it. Owning a Benz is not a requirement for a high standard of living. Most people would just call it a bad investment.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:01 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorknewyorker31 View Post
Thanks to all, particularly MPowerful and Boulevardofdef. I really appreciate your time and your words!

To the others: I had exactly 2 days to find housing in Chicago. No more, no less. I knew NOTHING about the city at that time; I could barely point it out on a map. The Chicago office of my consulting firm is located immediately south of the river (in "South River / The Loop"), so I bit the figurative bullet and signed a lease at the newest, most "baller"/amenity-loaded complex I could find that was within a reasonable walking distance of work--just so happened to be in Streeterville, the most awful "neighborhood" on the planet. Silly, yes. But, I didn't know anything about anything at the time.

I slipped this weekend and left for NYC (again...), where I write to you now. I spent a fantastic day catching up with friends over brunch at Smorgasboard, shopping at Macy's/Herald Square, going to Governor's Ball, and drinking at my favorite pub as I watched the Rangers tackle LA (so hetero) with a certain someone (<3'n finance). I really, really miss New York, no doubt about it. I'll be leaving Chicago as soon as my contract is up in May 2015. I'm signing onto another project in New York/Connecticut that summer. In the meanwhile, I'll spend more weekends in Chicago (I promise) and explore the city! No use in being miserable through the autumn and (hopefully mild) winter!

Great! Glad you figured it out and enjoyed a weekend in NYC (I miss it to death too)... until you leave... move to Boystown!!!

Chicago is a fabulous city where people AREN'T miserable!

BTW: If what you say is true and you really met this ILOVEFINANCE guy.... you are a brave soul, as I would never voluntarily meet with a guy who JUST registered on an internet board! LOL!

How was the meeting?? Give us details!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 5,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorknewyorker31 View Post
NYNYer: Nice meeting you, too! You're hilarious... and witty as all hell. You scream "New York." You belong here. Safe flight back to ORD today. (also, this may be TMI for a message board, but let me know if you want me to set you up with my brother in NY)

Everyone in Chicago: you have one of the sweetest and most genuine guys living in your city. NYNYer is the best. So, don't bash him. Treat him well this year!

To the above poster who said that "no one makes $500K/year" ...um, yes, there are people who do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago