Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM

151 posts, read 411,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Indiana is a state that works.
For minimum wage.

The rest of the Midwest besides Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri is pretty much the deep South with snow anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 04:54 PM

4,498 posts, read 4,997,438 times
It's not hard to see why IL. is and probably always be a politically corrupt State. People just turn a blind eye. The same crooks get in year after year and only do good for themselves. How can you deny the horrific state of the debt here ? The unemployment ? The high taxes ? IL. is 48th, 49th or 50tieth in all of these categories ! Look at the effort by the existing political leaders to get term limits and district mapping thrown off the ballot. When there are over 575,000 signatures on petitions and they find 85% of them illegal, something is radically wrong !! As long as you keep praising the likes of Emanuel, Madigan, Daley, Cullerton, Quinn, you name 'em, nothing will ever change here. It is not a good place to live. And I don't want to hear from you party line voters telling me to move. I'd much rather change the way IL. operates and make it BECOME a great place to live. I can't understand how some of you defend such corruption.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 PM

2,438 posts, read 3,313,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Indiana? Blah.........there are many places that don't have what Chicago has. I would rather live here.
The City of Chicago borders Indiana. Folks in the Region can easily access all that Chicago has to offer but live in a less corrupt, financially secure, pro-business state. Not to mention beaches that blow the rest of the metro out of the water, no pun intended. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
For minimum wage.

The rest of the Midwest besides Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri is pretty much the deep South with snow anymore.
I think that Missouri is the outlier here...maybe you meant to say Michigan, or perhaps Iowa.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 PM

359 posts, read 545,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that Missouri is the outlier here...maybe you meant to say Michigan, or perhaps Iowa.
The Midwest is generally divided into Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest. To me, I-70 is generally speaking, the boundary that divides the two regions.

The Upper tends to have a culture that is probably closer to what Canadians have; whereas the Lower Midwest seems to be closer to a Southern culture.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It's not hard to see why IL. is and probably always be a politically corrupt State. People just turn a blind eye. The same crooks get in year after year and only do good for themselves. How can you deny the horrific state of the debt here ? The unemployment ? The high taxes ? IL. is 48th, 49th or 50tieth in all of these categories ! Look at the effort by the existing political leaders to get term limits and district mapping thrown off the ballot. When there are over 575,000 signatures on petitions and they find 85% of them illegal, something is radically wrong !! As long as you keep praising the likes of Emanuel, Madigan, Daley, Cullerton, Quinn, you name 'em, nothing will ever change here. It is not a good place to live. And I don't want to hear from you party line voters telling me to move. I'd much rather change the way IL. operates and make it BECOME a great place to live. I can't understand how some of you defend such corruption.
As long as people keep voting for one party no matter what, this will happen. And R's don't make it easy for D's to vote for them because they always focus on social issues instead of fiscal issues. Anyone else paying attention to Madigan's attempt to block the referendum on non-partisan group drawing legislative districts instead of the party in power? Anyone else really angry about this? It is starting to resemble Communist countries; they had elections. There was either only one candidate on the ballot, or the candidates were all from the same party or vote rigging would take place. Hmmm, sounds like Chicago and a few other parts of the Metro area

Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Illinois House vote to cap payments on public pension funds last March? I wonder what the maximum, and minimum amounts are..

I guess that this was the first step, although Illinois Repubs thought that this was a sham vote engineered by Madigan, and boycotted it...

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 4,997,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
As long as people keep voting for one party no matter what, this will happen. And R's don't make it easy for D's to vote for them because they always focus on social issues instead of fiscal issues. Anyone else paying attention to Madigan's attempt to block the referendum on non-partisan group drawing legislative districts instead of the party in power? Anyone else really angry about this? It is starting to resemble Communist countries; they had elections. There was either only one candidate on the ballot, or the candidates were all from the same party or vote rigging would take place. Hmmm, sounds like Chicago and a few other parts of the Metro area
Exactly, I passed a petition around and made sure all the signatures were legal, sent it in, but I don't know what happened to it.' There is no way to check. It's really sad.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 PM

235 posts, read 284,162 times
How many of the signatures on the petitions were done by union thugs to guarantee the petitions would be deemed invalid? More than a few I'd wager. Madigan and Cullerton are 2 of the biggest obstructions we have to reform in the state. I keep waking up, hoping to hear Madigan had a debilitating stroke that would make him unable to finish his term so someone else could take his place. It's really embarrassing to live in a state like this where people are actually proud of the corruption and how many governors we have in jail.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,345,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
How many of the signatures on the petitions were done by union thugs to guarantee the petitions would be deemed invalid? More than a few I'd wager. Madigan and Cullerton are 2 of the biggest obstructions we have to reform in the state. I keep waking up, hoping to hear Madigan had a debilitating stroke that would make him unable to finish his term so someone else could take his place. It's really embarrassing to live in a state like this where people are actually proud of the corruption and how many governors we have in jail.
I'm not sure anyone is actually proud of corruption in any state, let alone Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago