Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:22 PM

26 posts, read 39,599 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at places to live in Lakeview. I will be working in the northern suburbs so I plan on having a car. Many of the places I'm finding in Lakeview which have garage parking are right along the lake, which I know is about as far from the freeway as one can get. If I left early enough, could I get any input on how big of a pain in the butt this commute would be? I am very interested in living Lakeview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
How far is the "northern suburb"? Big difference between say Northbrook and something like Gurnee...

Generally you do well to stay as close to the Kennedy as possible, as much for the effects of Wrigley as for the options it gives you should their be a traffic tie up -- getting on Elston can actually be a viable option but not if you still need to get all the way to Lake Shore Drive....

Frankly if you want the best locations to shave time off commute and still have access to fun spots in Chicsgo spots like North Center / Lincoln Square are worth checking out east of the Kennedy and Logan Squaremor even Avondale if you are close tot eh Addison Blue line might be worth checking out west of the expressway.

The morning commute to Lake Cook Rd it was tracking just under 50 minutes in the peak of rush hour last week and about another 20 mins on top of that at the worst of the evening peak back in...

Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM

If I lived in an area such as Lincoln Square, would it be easy enough to get over to Lakeview/Wrigleyville for my night life needs during the weekends? The whole reason I want to live in the city is because I'm young and I know there's a lot more to do. I just worry I'd live somewhere such as Lincoln Square and be disappointed. However, I will admit - I don't really know much about the Lincoln Square area.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,960,337 times
While lake view and Wrigleyviele have an lot of night life they are not the only places. Choose an area near the Kennedy and preferably north of the I90/94 split(that thing jams). You could then drive or use the CTA to get to lake view on the weekends instead of suffering bad traffic daily.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Assuming you grow weary of the numerous bars and restuaratnts in Lincoln Square your "weekend needs" are an El trip away if you are in Lakeview ... The Brown curves right through Lincoln Sq and then right though Southport a few blocks away from Wrigley Field. It is a nice option and traffic is not nearly as nutty.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,753,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandcoming22 View Post
If I lived in an area such as Lincoln Square, would it be easy enough to get over to Lakeview/Wrigleyville for my night life needs during the weekends? The whole reason I want to live in the city is because I'm young and I know there's a lot more to do. I just worry I'd live somewhere such as Lincoln Square and be disappointed. However, I will admit - I don't really know much about the Lincoln Square area.
Yes - this is a smarter thing to do. It's slightly cheaper on average and it's like a 10 minute train ride away. Lincoln Square is a good area - it's a little older (late 20s and above and families) but there's a number of pretty good eats there and some bars. It's on the Brown Line, which is like 10 minutes from the Belmont stop in Lakeview. The only negative is that the Brown Line stops running around 2am and starts back up around 4:30am. There are some ways around this if you plan on staying out later than 2 though, and earlier than 4:30

Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Any idea how much time living in Lincoln Square could cut off my commute? If it's only 20 min or so, I'd probably still prefer Lakeview. I also plan on leaving pretty early for work, probably close to 6am.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Any idea how much time living in Lincoln Square could cut off my commute? If it's only 20 min or so, I'd probably still prefer Lakeview. I also plan on leaving pretty early for work, probably close to 6am.
I don't know for sure but it's possible it could be more but you haven't said what suburb you're working in or near. The morning commute is a lot easier to avoid than the afternoon one. The afternoon commute can be the killer and you have to stay later (like after 7pm probably) to avoid it on the way home.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM

The suburb is Deerfield

Old 06-14-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The suburb is Deerfield
That's pretty far north - if it were me, I'd be living as close to the interstate as possible if I must live in the city. With Lincoln Square, we're talking about a 10 minute train ride (even less if you're going to like Southport) and there's actual food and bars there too - just not as rowdy. And honestly, the area in Lakeview around the lake is similar in that sense to Lincoln Square. IMO this is a no brainer between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago