Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,275 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar questions once before. My sister is going to be a prof at Northwestern. She has a small kid (< 1 y/o) Her husband is foreign and is trapped overseas in visa hell so I thought I could help her out for a while since I work at home for a place in LA.

There is a powerlifting gym in Andersonville and that is the only thing I do these days besides work. I like the idea of a "quaint neighborhood in the middle of a world class city". I saw a couple listings on Craigslist near the Argyle stop, which seems to be close to a couple beaches and sports fields. The neighborhood looks pretty good, a lot like Minnesota where I'm from, which is maybe good, or maybe bad...

However, Andersonville looks pretty close to Evanston. I wonder if I'm considering a neighborhood that close, should I just be in Evanston proper? It looks like I can get a big 2BD place in Andersonville for under $1800, which seems good to me after living in NYC and SF, but maybe I can do better? Is Evanston going to be more or less expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
A few thoughts:

1) The Argyle stop isn't directy in Andersonville though it's a 10 or so minute walk away from the starts of Andersonville, maybe. Argyle is actually in Uptown. No trains go directly through Andersonville, though some go within a maybe 10 minute walk. Berwyn is one of the stops that's more directly in line with it, though yeah Argyle might be considered the south edge of Andersonville.

2) Andersonville is close to Evanston but not next door. It's still 2.5 to 3 miles south of it.

3) Evanston may be more expensive, depending on where it is located in Evanston. The prices may be pretty similar in reality.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Both are good in my opinion. Both have busy streets with lots of shops and boutiques and restaurants and beautiful homes, and you can live on a side street if you want it quieter. Evanston has a few areas with different feels. Google a street map if you want to take a peek.

In Evanston, you could live close to a main street and get near stores and places and its nice, or you can live close to Northwestern Univ and get a different feel or you can live like on 500 N Sheridan which has a beautiful apartment building with a balcony and a view of Lake Michigan - its awesome.. was going to take a look at that but it was too far from the train for me, but maybe you would like it.

So each is good and adorable and I feel as safe in either one.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Team Andersonville

I'm a 10 minute walk to the Argyle Red line, 18 minute walk to the Damen Brown line, 1 minute or less walk to Clark 22 buss. It's safe and much to do.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
I don't see any reason for her to live in Andersonville when Evanston is a great place, she's got a tiny kid and her husband isn't around right now to help. Be as close to work as possible to save on commuting time.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Pick Evanston. Its a great place to live and in my opinion, better than Andersonville. There can be some shady spots around the Argyle stop here and there....I think you are better off in Evanston...its beautiful there.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Pick Evanston. Its a great place to live and in my opinion, better than Andersonville. There can be some shady spots around the Argyle stop here and there....I think you are better off in Evanston...its beautiful there.
The Berwyn stop is also for Andersonville, and the only shadiness around the Argyle stop is located east of the stop (and from a lot of personal experience, those people are nothing to worry about) and Andersonville is west of the stop. You wouldn't even run into it there really.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Depends on where you live in Andersonville as to which stop would be more convenient. Still I'd pick Evanston over Andersonville any day especially if I had a child.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 AM

82 posts, read 110,656 times
Evanston is way more family friendly IMO, I grew up in Evanston. Lots of community and welcoming peoples. The only bad area in Evanston is the Church and Dodge area right by the high school.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Depends on where you live in Andersonville as to which stop would be more convenient. Still I'd pick Evanston over Andersonville any day especially if I had a child.
I don't disagree - just saying that Andersonville is a good choice too. They're both good places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago