Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
We need to convict more gangbangers and put them in prison and I would make the prisons more punitive- things like chain gangs or work camps. I'd let people convicted of non-violent drug possession out to make room.
I think they started doing that, like they did with the mob. RICO laws. Unfortunately it may take awhile to see the true benefits of this but they've arrested some big time guys in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Frankly, not as big as deal as much as corrupt polticians ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So Chet - you don't think that the fact that Chicago is next door to Indiana, where it's a lot easier to buy a firearm, doesn't contribute at all to the overall problem?
Like I said, NYers got fed up with their "happy talk" poltiicians and elected mayor & governor that would crack down on lawless hoodlums. If all the "fun loving college grads" that flock to Chicago would see through the nonsense of Quinn and Emanuel maybe there would be enough resources devoted to get the war zones cleaned out...

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Actually, I guarantee you that most recent college grads who move to Chicago barely ever pay attention to any sort of local or state politics. They aren't even "buying into" anything coming out of these guys' mouths unless they are into politics or somehow linked, like they formed a company or whatever. I'd be willing to put a lot of money on that.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
I lived in NY through the Giuliani era. Crime was already cleaning up under Dinkins due to socioeconomic factors. A lot of what Giuliani did was focused on more petty crime and generally "cleaning up" Manhattan. Like cracking down on graffiti, being hard ass about weed, busting people who jumped fare in the subway, etc. As far as I remember, he didn't have any sort of novel strategy for gun crime. He also implemented statistical crime software, which I'm assuming Chicago already does. NYC was going gangbusters economically during this time period which contributed more to the safety than anything Giuliani did. Manhattan nearly 100% gentrified during this era.

Chicago's problem is you have a whole section of the city where people have no hope for the future socially or economically.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Chicago's problem is you have a whole section of the city where people have no hope for the future socially or economically.
In part yeah, but lately things have been moving west towards a few so so or bad areas. Right now it has started up again around California, Augusta, Chicago type of area. Brendan Sodikoff actually wants that area to be the next restaurant destination just like how West Loop has become that. We'll see what happens, though. I do agree though, NYC may have been easier in that regard.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Edit: 11 dead. Killinois.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM

283 posts, read 375,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I lived in NY through the Giuliani era. Crime was already cleaning up under Dinkins due to socioeconomic factors. A lot of what Giuliani did was focused on more petty crime and generally "cleaning up" Manhattan. Like cracking down on graffiti, being hard ass about weed, busting people who jumped fare in the subway, etc. As far as I remember, he didn't have any sort of novel strategy for gun crime. He also implemented statistical crime software, which I'm assuming Chicago already does. NYC was going gangbusters economically during this time period which contributed more to the safety than anything Giuliani did. Manhattan nearly 100% gentrified during this era.

And as long as the socioeconomic problem exists, so will the problem of gun violence.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Another cop-out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
And as long as the socioeconomic problem exists, so will the problem of gun violence.
There are lots of "socio-economic problems" in all kinds of parts of this country but they don't have thugs blasting away at each other.

Pretty sure the minority unemployment is pretty horrible in many places that have far less problems with violence. Don't think it would be too much a stretch to say that the stupidity of poltiicians teaming up with gang bangers has not helped Chicago's violence.

In fact the presence of even "dead weight" potential voters that if they do not directly support the corrupt abusers of their office ought to be ashamed to not be supporting candidates that would oppose such charlatans. It would not surprise me if the hinky vote collectors actually do rely on these "non-voters" to help run some fraudulent votes through the system...

Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 AM

575 posts, read 616,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Edit: 11 dead. Killinois.
No It's 82 shot with 14 killed. Five of the 82 shot by police. Check the Chicago Tribune.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM

I wonder how this compares to other July 4th weekends in history. it seems that every year I've lived here there's been a huge spike in crime for that weekend.

EDIT: Last year appears to be about the same - 74 shot and 12 dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago