Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,914,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think it would actually be pretty hard for a white tourist to get murdered in Chicago no matter where they went, assuming they didn't look like a gang member or pick fights with people. Unfortunately, most of the "mistaken identity" gang shootings seem to involve black or Hispanic victims.

Robbed or beaten? Sure, you could find this kind of trouble in a bad neighborhood if you seeked it out. But murdered? Unlikely.
Very true, just like rate of injury during a motor vehicle accident is vastly higher than rate of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 AM

BTW, does anyone remember any tourist murdered in Chicago in the past few years that wasn't domestic violence related (i.e. stranger on stranger homicide)? I can't recall any, and I'm sure every single homicide in the touristy parts of town was highly covered by the media.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,132,888 times
Default Sadly there have been a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
BTW, does anyone remember any tourist murdered in Chicago in the past few years that wasn't domestic violence related (i.e. stranger on stranger homicide)? I can't recall any, and I'm sure every single homicide in the touristy parts of town was highly covered by the media.
More stabbings than shootings, but they have happened. Generally at hours no sane person ought to be out, often suggesting less than completley puritanical behavior...

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
More stabbings than shootings, but they have happened. Generally at hours no sane person ought to be out, often suggesting less than completley puritanical behavior...
Have there been any homicides? I'm aware of incidents where tourists were injured.

There was that high profile shooting victim from St. Louis who supposedly stopped to ask for directions and was shot by strangers. Of course it turned out that he was trying to buy drugs or something like that. Then there was the guy who was supposedly shot in Streeterville, but was actually shot somewhere else (non-touristy area) while looking/selling? drugs.

Of course not all incidents of violence against tourists are like this. There was the guy who was stabbed in the a restaurant in River North by a crazy homeless-type guy a year or two ago, so these events do happen. My point is, for tourists, these events are indeed quite rare, and homicides are apparently non-existent, so its silly to avoid a weekend trip to Chicago based on news reports of violence in the media.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Well yeah...

Quote:
Have there been any homicides? I'm aware of incidents where tourists were injured.

There was that high profile shooting victim from St. Louis who supposedly stopped to ask for directions and was shot by strangers. Of course it turned out that he was trying to buy drugs or something like that. Then there was the guy who was supposedly shot in Streeterville, but was actually shot somewhere else (non-touristy area) while looking/selling? drugs.

Of course not all incidents of violence against tourists are like this. There was the guy who was stabbed in the a restaurant in River North by a crazy homeless-type guy a year or two ago, so these events do happen. My point is, for tourists, these events are indeed quite rare, and homicides are apparently non-existent, so its silly to avoid a weekend trip to Chicago based on news reports of violence in the media.
Not going to disagree that is idiotic to steer clear of Chicago based on "fear". Incidents of violence in areas of the city that sane tourists frequent are so rare as to be of no real concern.

That said, the differnce between a stab to the neck being fatal or not is more a function of the top notch medical care that is available in Chicago. Say what you wil about ER surgeons that hone their skills dealing with hundreds of victims a year; such physicians don't have time to care whether the perpetrator was a hardened gang banger that shanked people in prison and in his neighborhood or a mental patient that thinks guys shopping for a new suit at Barney's are demons...

The odds of a someone being attacked on Michigan Ave or in the Loop, the Musuem Campus / Millenium Park, the professional sports venues etc is right up their with a fatal chunk of frozen porta-potty discharge falling off a jet and smashing one's skull or a window popping out to impale a pedestrian ...

Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,872,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not going to disagree that is idiotic to steer clear of Chicago based on "fear". Incidents of violence in areas of the city that sane tourists frequent are so rare as to be of no real concern.

That said, the differnce between a stab to the neck being fatal or not is more a function of the top notch medical care that is available in Chicago. Say what you wil about ER surgeons that hone their skills dealing with hundreds of victims a year; such physicians don't have time to care whether the perpetrator was a hardened gang banger that shanked people in prison and in his neighborhood or a mental patient that thinks guys shopping for a new suit at Barney's are demons...

The odds of a someone being attacked on Michigan Ave or in the Loop, the Musuem Campus / Millenium Park, the professional sports venues etc is right up their with a fatal chunk of frozen porta-potty discharge falling off a jet and smashing one's skull or a window popping out to impale a pedestrian ...

Pretty fascinating thought process you have there, Chet--I mean, of all the possibilities you could have imagined, this is what came through?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Speaking of frozen death from the sky, people have been killed by large fragments of ice falling off the top of skyscrapers in the Loop.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM

575 posts, read 612,944 times
Quote:
Speaking of frozen death from the sky, people have been killed by large fragments of ice falling off the top of skyscrapers in the Loop.
Also, not quite 20 years ago a pedestrian was killed by a falling window from the CNA building.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Default My point exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Also, not quite 20 years ago a pedestrian was killed by a falling window from the CNA building.
As I recal the CNA thing was really awfull, mom walking with her daughter, shards of glass basically sliced mom like a magic act gone wrong. Kid got an understandly large settlement ... CNA window death settled for $18 million - Chicago Tribune

Ditto on the ice thing, the various sky scrapers rope off the sidewalk so that some unsuspecting pedestrian does not get an icicle through the cranium. Falling ice signs are a rite of the season - Chicago Tribune

The jet thing happens every once in while too -- Long Island couple pelted with poo: Where do airplanes dump their waste?

Neither of those things are enough to force people into wearing hardhats and flak jackets to and from work...

Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,214,867 times
Now you have mass robberies during rush hour on a CTA train. The criminals just keep getting more and more brazen. I can't ever remember a mass robbery on a CTA train in my lifetime.

Police: Orange Line robbers had been riding trains all day - chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago