Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:08 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times

Advertisements

Are those 2014 numbers taking into account that we're only 7 months in? Are the data being interpolated out to 12 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Rogers Park was a better neighborhood back in the 80's, when you still had the Jewish population, and really back then the only sketch area was around Howard. The cleanup of neighborhoods to the south has had a negative impact in bringing more riff-raff northward.

Also, just because crime decreases does not mean a neighborhood isn't declining. Detroit's crime rate has had steep decreases and is around half of what it was 15 years ago, doesn't mean Detroit hasn't gotten worse. There are all sorts of other issues at play (like maybe population is declining too, maybe people aren't reporting crimes, maybe police are intentionally downgrading crimes, or maybe the crime drops don't reflect other troublesome social indicators).

Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Rogers Park was a better neighborhood back in the 80's, when you still had the Jewish population, and really back then the only sketch area was around Howard. The cleanup of neighborhoods to the south has had a negative impact in bringing more riff-raff northward.

Also, just because crime decreases does not mean a neighborhood isn't declining. Detroit's crime rate has had steep decreases and is around half of what it was 15 years ago, doesn't mean Detroit hasn't gotten worse. There are all sorts of other issues at play (like maybe population is declining too, maybe people aren't reporting crimes, maybe police are intentionally downgrading crimes, or maybe the crime drops don't reflect other troublesome social indicators).
Not true. You had small sections throughout East Rp that were sketchy back then. I don't know if there were as many shootings, but you had them.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 AM

122 posts, read 253,161 times
Quote:
Um, what are you talking about? There's been 22 shooting victims so far this year there. A shooting could have more than one victim too, so if you look at the Tribune's data, it's actually 13 shootings this year. This is through July 14, which is the 195th day of the year. So doing the math, that comes out to 1 shooting every 15 days, or 2 per month. While that's not amazing, it's a far cry from "every other day." If it were every other day, there would be almost 100 shootings this year in RP, not 22.

Last year there were 20 shooting victims (at most 20 shootings since a shooting can have more than 1 victim) meaning that there was a shooting ever 18.25 days, or less than 2 per month. I don't know what's up with this year as it's definitely up from last year, but every other day is severely stretching the truth.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/

Now, here's the thing. 7 of the 13 shootings in RP this year happened between March 25 and April 15, which is 22 days. That's one every 3 days, but since then, there's been 4 total shootings - the last one coming about a month ago. The number of days between April 16 and July 6th is 81 days. That works out to 1 shooting every 20 days. SO yes, it looks like late March into mid April was wild in RP, but it's cooled off considerably since then.
Those are reported shootings, some people get shot at and it never gets reported. The shooters just completely miss and no one but the suspect(s) and victims(s) knows about it. Usually the gangbanger types

Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
RP has been bad since the 90s, but it seems to crime seems to have gone down in the early 2ks, then shot back up in recent years. There are shootings, it seems, every other day now in Rogers Park. I too would have to agree with chet that the shifting demographics from Uptown must have played a large role.
I lived in Uptown in the mid-1990s and Rogers Park was bad then. Well, more correctly, it was "block by block." A friend of mine moved to RP in 2001 or 2002 and left there like his hair was on fire at the end of his lease. I don't know if it's gotten worse because of Uptown's changes but RP has been hit or miss for a number of years now.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
For what it's worth, the part immediately on the border of Edgewater next to Loyola is fine. If anything it seemed to be getting better and better while I was attending Loyola for undergrad.

Granted, the university is buying up huge swaths of the immediate area, and many of the businesses that opened up while I was there were geared more towards the student population rather than the general RP population.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
For what it's worth, the part immediately on the border of Edgewater next to Loyola is fine. If anything it seemed to be getting better and better while I was attending Loyola for undergrad.

Granted, the university is buying up huge swaths of the immediate area, and many of the businesses that opened up while I was there were geared more towards the student population rather than the general RP population.
Used to be when you went down Kenmore or Winthrop a block south of Sheridan, it was some nice places mixed with some getting run down places in the 80's. As Loyola has spread south, has it improved?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
I believe it got worse than it already was after Cabrini-Green closed.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Used to be when you went down Kenmore or Winthrop a block south of Sheridan, it was some nice places mixed with some getting run down places in the 80's. As Loyola has spread south, has it improved?
I lived on both streets while I attended college, and they're perfectly fine now. Loyola shut down Kenmore from Sheridan to Rosemont and they're going to tear out the street, if they haven't done so already. There's a new school building and a new dorm located on the block. There are more Loyola dorms on Kenmore from Rosemont to Granville, in addition to Loyola owned properties such as the Sovereign apartment building.

As for Winthrop from Sheridan to Granville, it also has various Loyola dorms and some lots that I'm not quite certain what Loyola plans on doing with yet. For example, Loyola tore down the rehab center (commonly known as the crack house by the students) that was about halfway in between Sheridan and Rosemont.

Here's a current map of the campus. It should help you to visualize what I'm talking about:
http://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/styl...x11_071414.pdf

Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I lived on both streets while I attended college, and they're perfectly fine now. Loyola shut down Kenmore from Sheridan to Rosemont and they're going to tear out the street, if they haven't done so already. There's a new school building and a new dorm located on the block. There are more Loyola dorms on Kenmore from Rosemont to Granville, in addition to Loyola owned properties such as the Sovereign apartment building.

As for Winthrop from Sheridan to Granville, it also has various Loyola dorms and some lots that I'm not quite certain what Loyola plans on doing with yet. For example, Loyola tore down the rehab center (commonly known as the crack house by the students) that was about halfway in between Sheridan and Rosemont.

Here's a current map of the campus. It should help you to visualize what I'm talking about:
http://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/styl...x11_071414.pdf
How's it around Granville and south of Granville? A LOT differnt between Sheridan and Granville than "back in the day".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago