Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

I need to move closer to the Metra and am currently in a studio by the lake near Loyola for right around $800. I thought I was overpaying and kept hearing people (online) say I could do better but I don't believe it now. My current studio is now renting for $900 (hardwood floors, gated entry, dishwasher).

Since I'm in the market to move (have to be out the end of this month), I've decide to stick to Rogers Park because there's a RP Metra stop, I could live near the Metra -and- the red line still (quick access to Michigan Ave), and I could still walk or bike to the beach in a reasonable amount of time.

I thought since I'm moving it would be a good opportunity to look for maybe a 1 bedroom this time. But I've been looking for a while and anything under about $1000 just seems kinda pitiful...old, tiny and often times smelly with no amenities. I saw a property today I thought looked good:

Rogers Park Top Fl 1 BR rehab Farwell &Greenview w/huge deck Pkg avail

Of course it's $1000 though. I just feel like paying this much to live half an hour away from the city is expensive, no? Or am I just totally unrealistic? I've been looking and looking and looking thinking I'd find some hidden treasure, slightly newer (post 1940's), clean 1 bedroom with hardwoods and a dishwasher for under $900 but it's not happening....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM

What a coincidence...as I was typing this thread I just got an approval email I'd been waiting on from a property right next to the Ravenswood metra stop for a studio I applied for a week ago. It's $890/month. Maybe God is trying to tell me to move from RP to Ravenswood lol

Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
That's a very nice apartment. Its very clean, new and has in style features. I would say its a good value for the money.
I was helping a friend who was on a budget look for apartments and mostly there were some things for 700 to 900 but they were not very desirable, updated or well located.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
That's a very nice apartment. Its very clean, new and has in style features. I would say its a good value for the money.
I was helping a friend who was on a budget look for apartments and mostly there were some things for 700 to 900 but they were not very desirable, updated or well located.
Out of curiosity, what areas was your friend looking?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 AM

Sigh...so now if I like the RP apartment I posted earlier (which I'm viewing today), I'll need to decide between these 2 properties I think, as the one in Ravenswood won't hold my paperwork past this week, I'm sure.

The Ravenswood one is less expensive, but the RP one is large enough I could probably convert to a 2 bedroom and get a roommate (maybe....)..

Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Finding apartments dirt cheap in nice/desirable areas is getting more and more rare these days, regardless of the city. I looked at a one bed room in Arlington, TX that they were charging $1100 for. $1100 FOR A ONE BEDROOM ARLINGTON, TEXAS!!!! And the south is supposed to be cheap!

I think that's a nice apartment at a pretty good price as well. Have you considered just looking for a someone who is looking for a roommate instead of trying to find a place then get a roommate? I think we need to get it through our heads these days that housing just isn't cheap anymore and the cheaper a place is, the less amenities it's going to have. If you want to stay under $1000 in rent, you will have to trade in the nice amenities.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Finding apartments dirt cheap in nice/desirable areas is getting more and more rare these days, regardless of the city. I looked at a one bed room in Arlington, TX that they were charging $1100 for. $1100 FOR A ONE BEDROOM ARLINGTON, TEXAS!!!! And the south is supposed to be cheap!

I think that's a nice apartment at a pretty good price as well. Have you considered just looking for a someone who is looking for a roommate instead of trying to find a place then get a roommate?
I agree with you. I actually thought about you last week because I went online to my old apartment in Decatur out of curiosity (since I was applying for new apartments here in Chicago, I wanted to see what my old place was going for). It's one up from mid 600s to the mid 800s. Now, this place almost always gives specials (ie, a month off, which would reduce the rate significantly), but I'm not sure if they're still doing that. If not I'd be shocked to pay that much more after being away for just 2 years.
Anywho...I have considered looking with a roommate, but I mainly want my own place with the 'option' of having a roommate if I choose to do so later. I've decided I'm okay with paying $900-$1000 for a place (for now ), but would like the option of having a roommie in case something happens or if I need the extra help. I could do that with a one bedroom but not with the studio...

Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

I think that's a nice apartment at a pretty good price as well. Have you considered just looking for a someone who is looking for a roommate instead of trying to find a place then get a roommate? I think we need to get it through our heads these days that housing just isn't cheap anymore and the cheaper a place is, the less amenities it's going to have. If you want to stay under $1000 in rent, you will have to trade in the nice amenities.
Also, it's tough downgrading. I stayed in the South Loop for only 6 months, and damn if I don't miss that place...a lot. It was across from Grant Park, the el was at the back door (along with Trader Joe's). Taxi's/cabs were always extremely quick to get. Secured entry, gym, and in the winter they'd have restaurants catering in the front lobby you could buy hot food from (ie Ja Grill) all the time. They've since added a rooftop pool/tv's/grilling area/lawn & pet area and a wine room inside

Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I agree with you. I actually thought about you last week because I went online to my old apartment in Decatur out of curiosity (since I was applying for new apartments here in Chicago, I wanted to see what my old place was going for). It's one up from mid 600s to the mid 800s. Now, this place almost always gives specials (ie, a month off, which would reduce the rate significantly), but I'm not sure if they're still doing that. If not I'd be shocked to pay that much more after being away for just 2 years.
Anywho...I have considered looking with a roommate, but I mainly want my own place with the 'option' of having a roommate if I choose to do so later. I've decided I'm okay with paying $900-$1000 for a place (for now ), but would like the option of having a roommie in case something happens or if I need the extra help. I could do that with a one bedroom but not with the studio...
That makes perfect sense. I'm telling you man, the rents in metro Atlanta for anything decent is just getting higher and higher! I've myself more often than not looking at apartments there and saying to myself, "I may as well move to Chicago if I'm going to pay this!" LOL!

Good luck with your search. I'd make a list of absolute must-haves and a list of what you can absolutely live without if you are trying to stay under $1000. Even if a place is old you can decorate and fix it up and make it look real nice. The right furniture placement, a new coat of paint, some nice curtains, a nice area rug and a few plants can make all the difference in the world.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,471 times
This one has no laundry in the building but still seems like a decent deal.

Rogers Park :: (METRA/RED LINE) :: *BRAND NEW*:: (CONDO QUALITY)!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago