Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 8,604 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Chicago from San Francisco and was there for the past 3 days looking for apartments. I found 2-3 units that might fit what I am looking for in the Lakeview / Lincoln Park area.

All those apartments were shown to me by either:

1. Property manager on behalf of the owner
2. An agent (again on behalf of the owner)

My question is: How do I verify if the person who claims to be the property manager, actually IS the property manager? I do not want to give a deposit + first month's rent to the wrong person and have him vanish with the money leaving me with no apartment. Could he be an impostor who somehow has access to that apartment, shows it to me, draws up a fake lease and vanishes with my money?

There were no tenants there so I could not ask them when I visited (that is what I did before renting in SF). I have already submitted my application and given a $65 check in his name as application fee. I would really like to verify his identity before sending a large check in his name as security deposit + first month rent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Ash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I have heard of this scam occurring through Craigslist listings, but I do think you can protect yourself a bit with some good internet research or a phone call or two. If it's an agent they should have a bona fide website and office that you could call to confirm. Don't work with agents who aren't at reputable companies. Additionally, most management companies have their names on signs somewhere on the exteriors of the buildings, and probably have an office or website that you could use to confirm.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 AM

7 posts, read 8,604 times
Thank you. What if the person has not shown his office (and says he runs his own property management company)?

Many thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Why don't you call some apartment buildings, and talk with the apartment building person themselves.

I would not use Craigslist if I were you.

I can recommend some buildings that looked pretty nice, since I study the apartment rentals a lot, I did that when I was really looking for a new place.. so I can recommend some for you to try that I think might be a good place to stay.. Of course you would have to talk to the building person yourself, but I can make some recommendations.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF to Chicago View Post
Thank you. What if the person has not shown his office (and says he runs his own property management company)?

Many thanks
Does the company have a website? If it's just a single guy, it's hard to verify anything. So I guess that's a risk you'll have to weigh. But most of the places I've rented have at least had an office to call, or they had the name of the owner on the building with a phone number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: