Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Since when is North Center some walled off white bread enclave? The way most people draw artificial lines around what is / is not "culturally diverse" you'd think somebody is telling the OP they'd be probably better off just staying wherever they currently live and taking advantage of DeVry's extensive online course offerings ...
You need to go sleep it off or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,368,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
Though I love North Center and think it's very lovely, diverse wouldn't be a description that comes to mind when I think of the area.
I saw some hispanics walking around and her neighbor is middle eastern, to my knowledge .

Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 AM

33 posts, read 86,545 times
I would definitely check out Logan Square and Bucktown. Newer places in Bucktown are expensive but if you're willing to live in an older building you can definitely find something in your budget there if you look around on Craigslist etc. One good thing about Logan Square and Bucktown is parking on the street is relatively easy to find, especially compared to Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You need to go sleep it off or something.
North Center's residents are about 70% white. Certainly majority white, but not exceedingly. And while the residents are majority white, the actual foot traffic through North Center is quite diverse. The area draws people from right across the river (Irving Park and Albany Park) where the white percentage drops to roughly 25%.

Is North Center white bread? Not entirely. Is North Center diverse? Also not entirely.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,875,952 times
I personally would stick with North Center. Its a really nice neighborhood and safer than some of the other suggestions that are being made here. Any place in the city will most likely be more diverse than most suburbs. I would not worry about that. I would definitely keep a car. Being car less in Chicago especially with kids is not fun in the winter.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:20 PM

265 posts, read 402,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanmorin25 View Post
I would definitely check out Logan Square and Bucktown. Newer places in Bucktown are expensive but if you're willing to live in an older building you can definitely find something in your budget there if you look around on Craigslist etc. One good thing about Logan Square and Bucktown is parking on the street is relatively easy to find, especially compared to Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, etc.
Bucktown has become super expensive. Good luck finding a decent 1/2 bedroom for $1200-$1500.

I see rent prices in the area and am shocked at how much they've gone up in the past couple years.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
North Center's residents are about 70% white. Certainly majority white, but not exceedingly. And while the residents are majority white, the actual foot traffic through North Center is quite diverse. The area draws people from right across the river (Irving Park and Albany Park) where the white percentage drops to roughly 25%.

Is North Center white bread? Not entirely. Is North Center diverse? Also not entirely.
It's actually closer to 80%. No matter how you slice it, North Center is overhwelmingly white. IF you're moving to Chicago to experience diversity, IMO it doesn't make sense to spend an overwhelming amount of your time in a place that is overwhelmingly one race, the combination of which will produce a situation where an overwhelming proportion of your interactions are going to going to be with people of that one race, I'm assuming the same race as the OP. It sort of defeats the OP's stated purpose.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,023 times
Here is an update on two locations that we are really looking at. We will be keeping the car, and with the close proximity to the lake, my daughter and I will be able to take advantage of the biking/running trails together and still be able to walk into other areas for adventures. Within a couple blocks of either of these listings will be ideal.

Real Estate & Homes For Sale - Zillow

5910 N Sheridan Road, Chicago IL - Walk Score

Everyone's input has been extremely valuable, and we appreciate it !

Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM

226 posts, read 379,182 times
Don't rule out Lincoln Square necessarily, the area around Winnemac Park (just south of Foster) is surrounded by plenty of affordable apartments. The area closest to the square is always teeming with parents and their toddlers too. But, I would definitely cover Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, and North Center in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago