Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I don't like to nitpick (ok maybe I do like to a little ) but there is not even one country in Eastern Europe that has a sizable Muslim minority let alone a Muslim majority. There are only three countries in all of Europe that have significant Muslim populations: Kosovo, Albania, and Bosnia. All three are fairly small and only Kosovo is more than 60% Muslim. All three are categorized by the UN as being in "Southern Europe."
Kosovo, Albania, and Bosnia are in Eastern Europe. So is Turkey. So are a bunch of other countries with a significant Muslim population. "Southern Europe" is not a commonly used term, at all, and if it were, no one would claim that 30 km from Vienna (where former Yugoslavia begins) is "Southern Europe."
Quote:
It is important to recognize that Islam is a religion, Muslims are the followers of Islam, and the Muslims in Bosnia, Albania and Kosovo are actually ethnic Europeans: they share the DNA, culture, and Slavic language of their Christian neighbors in countries like Serbia and Montenegro.
I don't know what your point is here. You are trying to tell us that historically, centuries-old Muslim parts of Europe are actually filled with ethnic Europeans, as opposed to ethnic South Americans or Asians? What a shocker!
Quote:
Perhaps instead of "much" you meant some? And instead of "Eastern" Europe you meant "Slavic" Europe? Either way, before you fact check someone else make sure you have you the facts straight yourself.
Slavic Europe is Eastern Europe. And more than 50% is "much" in my book, not "some". Welcome to Planet Earth, I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:32 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Kosovo, Albania, and Bosnia are in Eastern Europe. So is Turkey. So are a bunch of other countries with a significant Muslim population. "Southern Europe" is not a commonly used term, at all, and if it were, no one would claim that 30 km from Vienna (where former Yugoslavia begins) is "Southern Europe."
This is true - most people in Albania, Bosnia, and Kosovo are Muslim whether it's religiously or culturally. Turkey is an observer in the EU but 98% of the country is in Asia. I guess just under 15% of the population of the country does live in East Thrace after all. Macedonia and Cyprus also have pretty sizable Muslim populations.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is true - most people in Albania, Bosnia, and Kosovo are Muslim whether it's religiously or culturally. Turkey is an observer in the EU but 98% of the country is in Asia. I guess just under 15% of the population of the country does live in East Thrace after all. Macedonia and Cyprus also have pretty sizable Muslim populations.
There's also the Caucasus region that's considered to be the divider between Europe and Asia on the southeastern border. Due to that you have the republics that are apart of Russia, like Chechnya, in addition to parts of Azerbaijan.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:55 PM

424 posts, read 467,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah, I was gonna say. Little Village? That's a poor, undesirable community, even for Mexicans!

Mexicans are moving out to the western suburbs. Some, like Cicero and Berwyn, are more Mexican than anywhere in Chicago. Little Village is where you live when you arrive in the U.S. and have no money. As soon as you have the money for a down payment, you go to Berwyn or Bridgeview or one of those places.

Little Village is just a few blocks south of some of the most dangerous blocks in Chicago. The neighborhoods just to the north are probably the worst anywhere in the city.
I definitely see why they'd leave Little Village. Less sure of why they're going to Berwyn and Cicero. Most of that demographic has children and the schools stink in both of those, with Cicero being worse. You'd like to see this large demographic putting more value on education.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
There's also the Caucasus region that's considered to be the divider between Europe and Asia on the southeastern border. Due to that you have the republics that are apart of Russia, like Chechnya, in addition to parts of Azerbaijan.
Yeah. I was going to mention Azerbaijan but they are Asia to me

Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 AM

34 posts, read 106,349 times
If the OP doesn't , want to live around those neighborhoods because of the rumors. Just move to a predominantly white neighborhood, Simple is that.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girbaud King View Post
I moved to Little Village, from Logan Square, out of financial desperation in November of 2012. When the first spring and summer rolled around and I started coming into contact with neighbors, I began to realize why everyone I knew back in Logan Square refused to even come and visit me in Little Village. Right off the bat, in the summer of 2013, several of my neighbors started rumors that I was a child molester; because don't you know that all thirty something skinny white men with glasses are child molesters. There was no basis for these claims other than because I was white. Well, let's fast forward to this spring/ summer, when a dozen or so convicted child molesters and sexual offenders moved into Little Village. And guess what? They were ALL Hispanic!! And where were the rumors and outrage??? No where. So I see how it works for the Mexicans in this neighborhood: It's OK for their psychotic kids to shoot each other in the face over street names. It's OK for their Mexican brothers to be child molesters because you know Mexican child molesters aren't as dangerous as white men with clean records. What a bunch of ****ing pathetic ignorant hicks the Mexicans are in this neighborhood!!! Oh, but that evil evil white man!! IDIOTS!

PS: I won't even touch how truly awful the Mexicans in Little Village are towards black men.
Fix the race problem by perpetuating it with your pathetic post. Idiot.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
I definitely see why they'd leave Little Village. Less sure of why they're going to Berwyn and Cicero. Most of that demographic has children and the schools stink in both of those, with Cicero being worse. You'd like to see this large demographic putting more value on education.
Well keep in mind Little Village is a big "port of entry" neighborhood...it's not like they can just go from Tijuana to Winnetka. For a lot of recent immigrants, life in the US is difficult and many families stuggle (and often fail) to keep their children in a safe environment while they try to carve out a life. They face a lot of cultural, linguistic, and economic barriers, and don't often don't have the luxury of considering such nuances as the quality of schools. So I imagine most people in these sorts of neighborhoods would jump at the chance to move somewhere like Berwyn or Cicero, quality of schools notwithstanding.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well keep in mind Little Village is a big "port of entry" neighborhood...it's not like they can just go from Tijuana to Winnetka. For a lot of recent immigrants, life in the US is difficult and many families stuggle (and often fail) to keep their children in a safe environment while they try to carve out a life. They face a lot of cultural, linguistic, and economic barriers, and don't often don't have the luxury of considering such nuances as the quality of schools. So I imagine most people in these sorts of neighborhoods would jump at the chance to move somewhere like Berwyn or Cicero, quality of schools notwithstanding.
Exactly. Berwyn is a step up from Little Village. Less of a gang problem, fewer shootings, better city services, quieter neighborhoods, and the schools, while bad, are better than CPS.

No one is going to be moving to the North Shore after having arrived from some developing world village and working as a cook for a few years. The Mexicans I know seem to be doing a pretty good job making progress in life, IMO.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Based on the news within like lets say the past few months, there are more crimes by hispanics/spanish/mexicans/etc whatever you want to label it, anyway, more crimes are happening with hispanics, used to be all we heard were crimes by blacks on the south and west sides, sheesh, I got sick of turning on NBC news and the first 2 news items were crimes by blacks ..

I'm not happy about it.

But now, i am hearing crimes by Hispanics..

What is up with this? Have the journalists changed the focus on demographics, or is this something new? an increase of crime with hispanics?

By the way, so you dont think Im merely predjudice, white people seem to rule on crime like crazy mass shooters, and people like Gacy and that crazy fraud-preacher guy in Waco TX in the 1980's.

Whats up with the news focusing on this crime which i never seemed to see before?

The effect on me, to be honest, is the city feels less safe than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago