Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
While 3% of Turkey lies in southern continental Europe it defined as an transcontinental Asian country. There are also huge ethno-linguistic differences that exist between mainland Europe and Turkey. It's definitely not European.

And if you read my whole post, you would see that I clearly pointed out that the UN's definition of Southern Europe includes all the countries that have sizable Muslim populations -- of which there are three. There are in fact no countries in Eastern Europe that have even a sizable minority of Muslims. Do your geographic definitions of the world trump those of the UN?

/FTW
Okay, so I was correct with my guess that you were splitting hairs with your definition of Eastern Europe. That's all you really had to say. To be fair, I guess you did give the warning that you enjoy nitpicking. You weren't kidding, were you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
The two bolded statements cannot both be true. Which is it? (Unless you're saying Kosovo is not in Eastern Europe, which is debatable and splitting hairs a bit.)

Also, don't forget that part of Turkey is in Europe.

/threadjack
http://esa.un.org/unpd/wup/CD-ROM_20...ND_REGIONS.pdf

Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Okay, so I was correct with my guess that you were splitting hairs with your definition of Eastern Europe. That's all you really had to say. To be fair, I guess you did give the warning that you enjoy nitpicking. You weren't kidding, were you?
I think it's important that we don't allow stereotypes and assumptions about people and places to perpetuate -- no matter how minuscule. Judging from your posts here, I think this is something we can agree on, no?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Excellent google-fu. Now google Kosovo Eastern Europe and see some different links. It's debatable, and you're nitpicking.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I think it's important that we don't allow stereotypes and assumptions about people and places to perpetuate -- no matter how minuscule. Judging from your posts here, I think this is something we can agree on, no?
Yes, I agreed with your overall point. Just found the apparently contradiction to be perplexing.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agreed with your overall point. Just found the apparently contradiction to be perplexing.
No contradictions. A poster claimed there are many countries in Eastern Europe that are Muslim. That is false. There are none.

There are indeed Muslim countries in Southern Europe, but even within that region, it doesn't qualify as many.

No one in their right mind would qualify Kosovo as being in Eastern Europe. In fact, it is completely West of all proposed geographic midpoints of Europe.

The problem I have is when people assign all countries of Slavic origin to Eastern Europe. This happens even in Europe, where working-class Slavics of all origins are lumped together in a rather derrogatory way as "Eastern Europeans." Eastern Europe is a geographic location, not a race of people. And to lump them all together (Kosovo with the true geographic East) does injustice to the diversity of all the many Slavic people of Europe.

Kind of like when white people here lump all Hispanic or Latino people into "Mexican."

Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Ha...the real white population of this country is probably about 60-65 percent, if you take that to mean as Caucasians of indigenous European origin. At some point people are going to have to accept that any human being can be "racist" toward any other.

You think only white people make the semantic Hispanic gaff? Not African Americans? Not Asians?

Wake up.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
You think only white people make the semantic Hispanic gaff? Not African Americans? Not Asians?
Who said that? It's debatable that it's even a "gaff" (sic). Like I said, it depends on whom you ask.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
The two bolded statements cannot both be true. Which is it? (Unless you're saying Kosovo is not in Eastern Europe, which is debatable and splitting hairs a bit.)

Also, don't forget that part of Turkey is in Europe.

/threadjack
Eh - about 15% of the population of Turkey lives in Europe actually in East Thrace. They take part in EU activities, but it's not right to say that they are really European. They're both European and Asian, but most of Turkey resides in Asia.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
While 3% of Turkey lies in southern continental Europe it defined as an transcontinental Asian country. There are also huge ethno-linguistic differences that exist between mainland Europe and Turkey. It's definitely not European.

And if you read my whole post, you would see that I clearly pointed out that the UN's definition of Southern Europe includes all the countries that have sizable Muslim populations -- of which there are three. There are in fact no countries in Eastern Europe that have even a sizable minority of Muslims. Do your geographic definitions of the world trump those of the UN?

/FTW
This is true, but the culture there in many parts especially on the west coast is fairly european with a touch of Middle East/Asian sprinkled in there. That's why I love Turkey so much - fascinating place to visit. It is almost all in Asia - totally, but the culture is not even close to purely Middle Eastern or Asian. It's a mix of all of those and in some areas it's very, very European. The language is unlike most European languages, but eh. Hungarian is actually not terribly far off from it, but Turkish is more similar to Korean and Japanese in semantics and syntax than it is to Italian, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago