Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You may say that it cannot be attached to the building and be within your rights. You may NOT say that it cannot be visible because you are impairing its reception. If a resident has a balconey or deck or patio and installs a dish on a tripod or in a bucket of concrete that is not attached to the building, he is perfectly within his rights to do so whether or not it is visible.
As far as I know, they can't even say "you can't attach it to my building" as long as it doesn't damage the building. My upstairs neighbor (a cable installer, ironically) just got a dish installed over my landlord's objections. The installer showed him how they install it using a clamp with no screws or bolts so that it does not impact the building itself. When the tenant moves, he just unclamps the dish bracket, no damage to the building, no grounds for the landlord to get cranky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
The FCC has actually ruled homeowners associations can not limit the use of digital satellite services (DirecTV and Dish Network).

The myth that cable offers the same channels is simply not true. Yes, they offer the same network channels, but for those of us who are sports fans, Dish and DirecTV offer dozens of regional sports networks that are not available on cable. In my case, well more than 50% of what I watch is not available on our local cable system.

Not wishing to argue here, but if someone challenged the HOA in question, the HOA would have to relent. The same applies to old-style over-the-air antennas.

Personally, if there still was the ability for HOAs to limit dishes, that would completely eliminate that neighborhood for me. Cable simply is not in the same league as DirecTV or Dish when it comes to things like college hockey, lacrosse, and many other sports that are very important to me.
I agree. I will never go back to cable. We have TWO satellite systems- Dishnetwork and one from Canada called ExpressVU.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
You try convincing some of these old Polish and Lithuanian landlords of that down here on the south side. LOL! They can be a bit harsh and tend to run their buildings like they are still in the old country. "NO DISH FIR YOU!"

Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
NYrules - heh, I've got a landlord like that. But then one day I discovered she had the dish and I said "I want one too" and she relented, so now I have a dish.

I actually really like my landlord and she's been my landlord for over 5 years, but she is very 'old school'.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
NYrules - heh, I've got a landlord like that. But then one day I discovered she had the dish and I said "I want one too" and she relented, so now I have a dish.

I actually really like my landlord and she's been my landlord for over 5 years, but she is very 'old school'.
I loved my old landlady. She was actually a tough old Irish woman right from Ireland. She ran her building like a ship and she was the captain. The building next to our was run by a Lithuanian and GOD was she a b!###! She would always come out yelling at people from our building who would park in one of her supposedly "designated" parking spots.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Heh, actually in my situation we're dealing with Ukrainians, and it is funny to see some of the infighting in the neighborhood with the older women (all landlords) who do not like each other from way back.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Heh, actually in my situation we're dealing with Ukrainians, and it is funny to see some of the infighting in the neighborhood with the older women (all landlords) who do not like each other from way back.
Meanwhile, back in Zhitomir their families are probably trading insults with one another across the street...

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Default question

how many days a yar in Chicago does satellite dishes go down?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It is pretty much never a "day long" sort of thing. Even during the most horrific thunderstorm the actual amount of signal lost to the falling rain is only when the "core" of the storm passes between you and the satellite to the south. Worst ever that I remember was maybe 45 minutes or so. Of course if that comes during a big sports event or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: