Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:52 AM

4,662 posts, read 4,977,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyOffended View Post
It's not cherry picking unless you are comparing Chicago to smaller cities with a lower population. Then that just makes no sense....Comparing Chicago to East St Louis or Detriot or Camden...Chicago is a world class city and the population dilutes the crime statistics compared to smaller cities
Fine, Chicago's murder rate is higher than New York and Los Angeles. Always has been, and will be for the foreseeable future. You've made your point. Bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM

52 posts, read 69,796 times
Too big a density difference between New Orleans and Chicago.

Last edited by Raging Hellfire; 08-04-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
This quote makes no sense.....If New Orleans had the population Chicago had it would still be worse? 98 percent of Chicago homicides happen in BAD neighborhoods on the South and West side. And then you have the sporadic violence on the North/Northwest side. If you wanted to have Chicagos population there is over 1 million people on the Northside alone and most are middle class hard working people, high class millionaires downtown, yuppies, hipsters, college students, people raising families. So what you said makes no sense because they commit no murders. If you added those 1 million people in Chicago to New Orleans their crime rate would go down its called dilution. You act as if they added the population of all the bad neighborhoods to New Orleans. There are neighborhoods in Chicago more dangerous then new Orleans

If Chicago’s West and South sides were their own cities, they’d be the deadliest and most violent in America | Chicago Muckrakers

No, what you're saying makes no sense. As I've stated in an earlier post is you take a city with for example Chicago with 2million + residents and they end up at the end of the year with lets say 400 muders and you take a city like New Orleans with a population of 400,000 and lets just say they end up with 200 murders at the end of the year, if you just go by the number of murders and not take into account the populatiion of people then yes Chicago is worse. But if you take into account population as to murders then a city like New Orleans is worse. Its simple math brah. My arguement is not about which city is more dangerous then the other, I'm just saying that if you go my the ALL the numbers meaning population and murders and NOT just the number of murders then the arguements are different. As someone one said earlier I'm paraphrasing here, Chicago has the most murders but retrospect to its population its not as bad as some other places. Also you basically stated if 1million people were added to New Orleans population the crime would go down lol... now that doesn't make since. If you add that amount of people to ANY city the crime rate will go up, how much we don't know, but it would definitely go up and not go down. I'll give you a quick example asked Houston when they got over 250,000 Katrina evacuees overnight if the crime went down? lol.. Come on brah that's ridiculous.

Last edited by NativeSon504; 08-04-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Hellfire View Post
Too big a density difference between New Orleans and Chicago.
True but explain.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM

122 posts, read 253,161 times
Quote:
No, what you're saying makes no sense. As I've stated in an earlier post is you take a city with for example Chicago with 2million + residents and they end up at the end of the year with lets say 400 muders and you take a city like New Orleans with a population of 400,000 and lets just say they end up with 200 murders at the end of the year, if you just go by the number of murders and not take into account the populatiion of people then yes Chicago is worse. But if you take into account population as to murders then a city like New Orleans is worse. Its simple math brah. My arguement is not about which city is more dangerous then the other, I'm just saying that if you go my the ALL the numbers meaning population and murders and NOT just the number of murders then the arguements are different. As someone one said earlier I'm paraphrasing here, Chicago has the most murders but retrospect to its population its not as bad as some other places. Also you basically stated if 1million people were added to New Orleans population the crime would go down lol... now that doesn't make since. If you add that amount of people to ANY city the crime rate will go up, how much we don't know, but it would definitely go up and not go down. I'll give you a quick example asked Houston when they got over 250,000 Katrina evacuees overnight if the crime went down? lol.. Come on brah that's ridiculous.
Did you just graduate from special education classes? Of course the whole city of Chicago in retrospect is not as bad when compared to a city with 100,000 people because the population of hard working people, yuppies hipsters and high class rich people in their downtown condos who rarely commit murders dilutes the per capita violence for ANY big city. Their are neighborhoods in Chicago with a higher murder per capitol then St Louis, New Orleans and Baltimore. East St Louis was voted most dangerous city in America, but its population is 27,000 with 20 something homicides. There are neighborhoods in Chicago with similar numbers and higher per capita

Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 AM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
I would love to see a murder rate for the southside of the city and the west side. I'm sure if you measure a very concentrated calculation the murder rate for those two areas of the city is sky high.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Did you just graduate from special education classes? Of course the whole city of Chicago in retrospect is not as bad when compared to a city with 100,000 people because the population of hard working people, yuppies hipsters and high class rich people in their downtown condos who rarely commit murders dilutes the per capita violence for ANY big city. Their are neighborhoods in Chicago with a higher murder per capitol then St Louis, New Orleans and Baltimore. East St Louis was voted most dangerous city in America, but its population is 27,000 with 20 something homicides. There are neighborhoods in Chicago with similar numbers and higher per capita
Damn, why are you coming at me like that homie. But anyway, the thread is not about neighborhoods its about CITIES as a WHOLE. What part do you not understand? Stop going off on a tangent. By the way there are neighborhoods in New Orleans, St. Louis, Detroit, Oakland just as bad as Chicago neighborhoods. What you think Chicago neighborhoods have a monoply on that. Calm down brah.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 AM

52 posts, read 69,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
True but explain.
Chicago has 2.7M in 234 square miles (central city), New Orleans has 300 to 400k in 180 square miles. Chicago should already have a higher murder rate.

I can see what people are doing by picking out 300k of Chi, but the problem is that NOLA is almost the same size with 8 times less people! You have to look at a similar density also, and NOLA is clearly worse than Chicago. Look at the density difference it's ridiculous, you have to break NOLA down if anything.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Let's not forget that New Orleans suffered a pretty darned disruptive loss of housing / population that also forced many people to reconsider what is a habitable part of that city -- New Housing Survey of New Orleans Post-Katrina

In contrast nearly any loss in housing units in Chicago's most crime afflicted areas good easily be reversed if there was any will of the City's mayor & poltical leaders to actually follow through on promises of jobs and reinvestment in a timely manner. Is there really any excuse for a grocery store taking THREE YEARS to open? Englewood slated to get a Whole Foods - Chicago Tribune

Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, that's just unfair. ONLY Chicago is getting cut up in this study? No rougher sides to any other big city in the country?

Chicago isn't the only big city with a big chunk of it having much higher crime rate than the city as a whole. What if the south and west sides were its own city AND North Bronx was its own city? And so on and so forth?

I doubt doubt there's a neighborhood in New Orleans just as dangerous as Englewood. I don't know but it's New Orleans and I don't doubt it..

I guarantee you that Uptown and the 9th ward are just as bad as ANY neighborhood in Chicago.

Last edited by NativeSon504; 08-05-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago