Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM

166 posts, read 258,060 times

Advertisements

No need to fear ChicagoMeO. We are simply here to work and educate our children just like all immigrants in our history. Sure the newly arrived might seem a bit strange and rude, but remember that they are getting accustomed to a new culture. Mod cut. After the first generation things typically improve. Of course there will unfortunately be a few of us latinos who choose not to educate themselves and end up getting involved in criminal activity. But that's ok. All ethnic groups have these losers. I mean you dont see too many white losers here but only because they all stay in their [Snip.] small towns. They cant find their way over to the big city. And thats a good thing. I'm all for pushing society's losers out to the burbs. This will eventually happen to a majority of latino losers with gentrification. I mean look at Pilsen, Logan Square, Wicker Park, [Snip.] even lincoln park. At one time these hoods housed the newly arrived latinos. So don't sweat it ChicagoMeO. As long as you can stay away from the lowest rungs of society you should be ok.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-31-2014 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Racist comment; inappropriate language.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM

424 posts, read 465,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
No need to fear ChicagoMeO. We are simply here to work and educate our children just like all immigrants in our history. Sure the newly arrived might seem a bit strange and rude, but remember that they are getting accustomed to a new culture. [Snip.] After the first generation things typically improve. Of course there will unfortunately be a few of us latinos who choose not to educate themselves and end up getting involved in criminal activity. But that's ok. All ethnic groups have these losers. I mean you dont see too many white losers here but only because they all stay in their [Snip.] small towns. They cant find their way over to the big city. And thats a good thing. I'm all for pushing society's losers out to the burbs. This will eventually happen to a majority of latino losers with gentrification. I mean look at Pilsen, Logan Square, Wicker Park, [Snip.] even lincoln park. At one time these hoods housed the newly arrived latinos. So don't sweat it ChicagoMeO. As long as you can stay away from the lowest rungs of society you should be ok.
Look, don't go all Sally Struthers on him ok? I agree he's about as graceful as a sledge hammer but he raises some good points, that a lot of people also feel -- albeit they won't say it as directly. Why expand the "lowest rungs of society", which will reduce opportunity among that tier? Are you saying you're ok with this as long as you don't have to live around it? I think that's a rather glib way to look at the issue.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-31-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You're outraged? Do you even live in Chicago?
I have to assume he doesn't. I also have to assume he's either lacking in math skills or desperately searching for something to be outraged about if he thinks 1,000 people is noticeable in a city of 2.7 million or a metro area of 9-10 million. Maybe this is what Fox News is telling its viewers to be upset about this week? I'm behind on my Daily Show viewing or else I would know.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,138,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I have to assume he doesn't.
I just don't understand his "outrage" at immigrants in Chi and his persistent echo of the high crime rate since he does not reside in Chicago.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I just don't understand his "outrage" at immigrants in Chi and his persistent echo of the high crime rate since he does not reside in Chicago.
It seems to be pretty common that the people who are most intensely "outraged" in their online postings of anti-Chicago sentiments online are people who don't actually live here. I tend to assume it's politically-motivated, since Chicago has come to symbolize everything the right hates (Democratic "machine," gun control laws, Black president, etc.) and/or an attempt by individuals to ease their own cognitive dissonance related to this.

It's odd though, for sure. There are locations in the world that I personally don't like, too, but I can't imagine wasting time and mental energy going to their forums to tell people what I think is wrong with them. Perhaps it's because I'm happy enough where I live that I'd rather focus on that? Maybe if I were miserable where I lived I'd want to attempt to bring people in other locations down to my level, as well?

Who knows.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,492,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
If we're going to take a humanitarian approach to who can live here why not? Why are they any less deserving of shelter and care than the kids from Central America? Maybe some here can agree to get vaccinated and take one or two in. I'd say that's a worse crisis, in my view.
Can you tell me if the illegals are farmed to the various cities as it is appearing now, will the cities resources run out? where will they get the money?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Can you tell me if the illegals are farmed to the various cities as it is appearing now, will the cities resources run out? where will they get the money?
I dunno but it sets a precedent for more to come in the future. Don't think others with less bleeding heart intentions aren't watching this closely. Who pays? Ultimately you in the form of taxes. You have to take care of them and provide the public assistance to supplement the income and benefits of their parents who will follow. As well as the public assistance to those Americans and other "citizens" the parents will displace in the "low rung" job market that no one here seems to care or know much about.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 AM

9,885 posts, read 9,492,567 times
Wicket, I wish the government who is supposed to care for its citizens first, which includes vets, and even those on welfare, and even perchance the middle class even, and they cry we have no money, yet, all of a sudden there appears billions of dollars and resources to care for this crisis. For illegals. Even the LEGAL immigrants are hollering unfair.. because they paid the price and time to come here LEGALLY. now these people are getting a free ride, (cheating).

I should not HAVE to take care of them. Their own country should have. However, apparently they are not. So, they come here. The rest of the world is not taking them. I suppose geographically it is easier to cross the Rio Grande than the Pacific Ocean, however, perhaps Europe could take them. The money the USA was gonna use to house them could go for airplanes to take them to Europe or Australia or Canada.

We should take care of our vets FIRST and even our own welfare people.

AND we should be getting Sargeant Tamhoorisi out of that Mexican jail before we let in ONE MORE ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Yes. Unfortunately too many don't get it or their white guilt prevents them from being pragmatic. More unfortunately the coyotes and people in Central America sure will. This is only the beginning.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,773,587 times
Hope and Change my friends..Hope and Change. I guess it all depends on what kind of H & C you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago