Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM

112 posts, read 131,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Hi christine,

I lived in Chicago after growing up in St. Louis and living in Charlotte, Durham, Memphis and Chicago. There is no clear cut answer to your question because everyone situation and experience is different.

I accepted a transfer to Chicago because I've always wanted to live in that city. The energy and the overall big city experience was too much to pass up.

From my experience your neighborhood will determine a big part of your experience. Oak Park and Hyde Park gave a good experience. There are other areas to look at like South Loop and Edgewater.

Even with those great areas that I mentioned I would have to say that Chicago very racist in terms of segregation, income disparity and overall intolerance coming from Whites in social situations. There have been many times when I was in the north side trendy neighborhoods entertaining clients and was the only one. This doesn't necessarily mean you are around racist but may be different depending on what you are use to. There have been situations when I was met with racial slurs just walking home or enjoying the evening. Other times they where used in my presence and not being directed towards me. That's when I was at the point of saying what is the problem with these people.

So my answer to your post is if you are from a city with a large African American professional class or use to seeing other African Americans regardless of what and where you are I would not recommend Chicago. There are much better choices. If you are like me and you feel like you have to experience Chicago then I would make the move understanding the type of city it is. If you don't like it, move.
Hi Mjtinmemphis,

Thanks for your input. I'm from NY, but I currently reside in the DC metro area. I am very accustomed to socializing with middle class blacks.

I do not really need to "experience Chicago," although I am toying with the idea, because I'd like to work on a few regional based projects for my organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Well despite everything that has been said, there are a lot of African Americans in the Chicago and the suburbs in various areas and some are middle class or even above. I have several friends in this area and one has lived in Naperville and now in Lombard, and the other owns a building in Old Town. There are also black social and support organizations that one can join. I think it could be a good area. If you only want to live in the city, then options like south loop, west loop, edgewater, might be good choices. There are also many blacks living in places like Oak Park and Forest Park too, which are near Chicago and very urban in nature. Broadview, Bellwood or Maywood could also be options. I go through Broadview frequently and it is a middle class mostly suburb. Some people want to live in an area mostly made up of their own ethnic or racial group, others want to live in a diverse area.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
From a pure salary standpoint, you'll do well in Chicago in the high 90s so long as you don't have tons of debt and your spending habits aren't insane. You could live on $50K in Chicago as a single person if you don't have tons of debt and still do alright for yourself.

There are more than just white and black people in Chicago for the record. Many Hispanic people too, for example. Anyway, yes Chicago is segregated like a lot of older northern cities are, but nightlife wise there are areas where it can be decently mixed. South Loop, Wicker Park, and River North for example. Hyde Park as well, though you wouldn't have much in the way of nightlife or anything but there is some. If you're a clubbing person at all too, the clubs are usually pretty mixed places...usually.
Thanks for your input. I do not have tons of debt.

I do realize there are more than just white and black people in Chicago, but its been my experience that most Hispanics (and other cultural/ethnic communities) tend to congregate amongst their own groups for the most part.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Well despite everything that has been said, there are a lot of African Americans in the Chicago and the suburbs in various areas and some are middle class or even above. I have several friends in this area and one has lived in Naperville and now in Lombard, and the other owns a building in Old Town. There are also black social and support organizations that one can join. I think it could be a good area. If you only want to live in the city, then options like south loop, west loop, edgewater, might be good choices. There are also many blacks living in places like Oak Park and Forest Park too, which are near Chicago and very urban in nature. Broadview, Bellwood or Maywood could also be options. I go through Broadview frequently and it is a middle class mostly suburb. Some people want to live in an area mostly made up of their own ethnic or racial group, others want to live in a diverse area.
Thank you for the information. If I did relocate, I'd want to be very close to my job location. I think quality of life tends to improve when you live within close proximity to where you work.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
With your salary, River North, West Loop, South Loop, Streeterville all could be options. These areas are mixed but you won't be the only black person there if that matters to you. I am familiar with DC...lots of black middle and upper middle class due to the prevalence of federal workers there many who make better than average salaries. I worked with quite a few black managers when I was working. So, there are many that are upwardly mobile.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
Hi Mjtinmemphis,

Thanks for your input. I'm from NY, but I currently reside in the DC metro area. I am very accustomed to socializing with middle class blacks.

I do not really need to "experience Chicago," although I am toying with the idea, because I'd like to work on a few regional based projects for my organization.
Judging by your response to some of the other posts, I don't think Chicago would be a good choice. You have little experience in the city and it reads like you've done some homework.

Dating options for African American women who have a preference for African American men isn't good. Especially for someone use to a progressive city.

I find most African Americans from any class who settle in Chicago for the long term have family ties to the area. It is not a place African Americans think about "choosing" to live at any stage in life. Many transplants like myself leave after the city wears on them.

I wish I could say different but my experience in cities that are smaller and viewed as less progressive has brought me to the thoughts that I've expressed.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 PM

221 posts, read 322,071 times
Quote:
Thanks for the article, but it didn't actually address my question, it simply pointed out that there are a number of middle class blacks residing throughout the South Side of Chicago. I asked if Chicago is a good city choice for middle class blacks. Based on the feedback from other posters (as well as my general knowledge about Chicago), it is probably not a good option.

Much of my family resides in the Northeast and on the West Coast. I have no immediate or extended family/relatives in the Midwest. This means that my connection to the Midwest is non existent. If I were to relocate to Chicago, I'd need to find a community that was close to my organization's Chicago regional office, which is currently located at 233 North Michigan Avenue.

At this stage in my career, I'm drawn to working on interesting and challenging regional based projects for my organization, but I realize, there's more to life than work. I enjoy diversity, but I also enjoy being around those who are similar and can relate to my cultural background and experiences. Also, I don't want my dating options to be limited, since I'd like to settle down and get married.

My question is, given the fact that I have no family ties to the South Side and the location is not close to my organization's office, what would be the benefit (or value) in residing on the South Side, other than simply living around those with a similar skin color. I could be wrong, but I imagine that although there are middle class blacks on the South side, it may be difficult to mingle with them, because the South Side doesn't have the same amenities with respect to restaurants and nightlife, as the North and West Side of Chicago.

When I visited Chicago (for work related purposes) it felt a little strange, being one of the few blacks in the office, or at the various restaurants. I saw other black people, but mostly, they were either homeless, or working in service related jobs. I sincerely hope that I'm not offending anyone. I'm just trying to determine what would be best.
I would caution you against placing too much importance on what people here have to say. I doubt that many of the people who responded know what it's like for a black person in Chicago on your income.

If I were you, I would look at the numbers. How many black people are living in Chicago in a certain income bracket? How does that compare nationally? Obviously, there are extremely successful black women living in Chicago, take Mellody Hobson for an example. The Obamas lived here too. I also have a friend whose boss (in your same income bracket) is a black lady.

My advice would be, think like an economist. Don't listen to anonymous posters on city-data

Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I do not have tons of debt.

I do realize there are more than just white and black people in Chicago, but its been my experience that most Hispanics (and other cultural/ethnic communities) tend to congregate amongst their own groups for the most part.
The areas I suggested are the ones that you will find the nightlife with the most mixedness going on. South Loop, River North, Wicker Park, and the small amount of stuff in Hyde Park. You'll find it other places, it really depends and a lot of this might depend on how much you care if you are in the minority in various areas. Some people do not care one bit about it (like myself) and others do.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,027 times
Quote:

My question is, given the fact that I have no family ties to the South Side and the location is not close to my organization's office, what would be the benefit (or value) in residing on the South Side, other than simply living around those with a similar skin color. I could be wrong, but I imagine that although there are middle class blacks on the South side, it may be difficult to mingle with them, because the South Side doesn't have the same amenities with respect to restaurants and nightlife, as the North and West Side of Chicago.

When I visited Chicago (for work related purposes) it felt a little strange, being one of the few blacks in the office, or at the various restaurants. I saw other black people, but mostly, they were either homeless, or working in service related jobs. I sincerely hope that I'm not offending anyone. I'm just trying to determine what would be best.
Ok I misinterpreted your original post. Thanks for the detail describing more of what you're looking for. It wouldn't be too difficult to mingle with us black middle class south siders since for the most part, we pretty much have to go downtown or the north side for those amenities you mentioned anyway lol. True we aren't close to the action (which I personally prefer anyway) but we are just a 15-30 min car, train, or bus ride away.

I agree with MJ when he mentioned that you actually do need to experience Chicago because my experience, as far as racism, has not been as extreme as his and I was born and raised here. Now, there are factors that I'm sure come into play such as I am a woman, petite, soft spoken, so maybe I'm seen as "less threatening". But I know the deal. Sure I have been stereotyped but as far as I'm concerned, that's something that is going to happen anywhere in this country so I can't make that a "Chicago" thing. And when it happens, I'm not giving it a 2nd thought. I'll get a nasty look or condescending tone, I'm like ok "F" you, give it back to them twice as hard and I go on with my day. You may be the type to internalize something like that more to where it completely ruins your day. So if that's the case, would Chicago be good for you? Probably not.

It is odd that you didn't see many other "progressive" blacks when you visited though, especially in the restaurants lol. Now work I can understand as most times I'm one of few blacks also given my career (IT). Now the dating scene, I will say this. If you are looking to settle down and get married, like if its a really high priority for you, you would definitely want to open yourself up to IR dating. And that's all I'm gonna say about that

Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Sounds like OP wants to be near people that actually look like her.

I completely understand her sentiments. I am currently living in northern new jersey.

One of the most segregated places I have ever lived in my entire life.

Everybody sticks to their own.

Nothing wrong with that.

If you happen to be of a particular race that is the minority....it can feel really lonely.

Especially if you are single.

I absolutely love Chicago and hope to one day move there.

OP I think you would have a great time in chicago.

Make the move...find a nice place to live in....and venture to the areas where there are more african americans during your free time.

There won't be many in your work environment.

Nor will there be many in the downtown area. Usually the more upscale the location....the fewer african americans there will be.

Just something you have to deal with.

Best of luck with move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago